Server Names

I just give my devices names rather randomly, whatever happens to pop into mind at any given moment, like e.g. my desktop is named "Carbonara" because I happen to like pasta carbonara and I had just eaten that when I decided to name my desktop. I am, however, rather fond of two of my servers: the Hindenburg, because it's quite fancy and impressive in its own right, but may burn down in a glorious fire any given moment, and the Watergate, after the Watergate-scandal, because of all the shenanigans going on there and the stuff I've hidden there out of the public's eye.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 1/25/2019 at 1:37 PM, Abdul201588 said:

I name my servers after the Greek gods and goddesses. :D So my email server is called Zeus, my web server is called Athena, my file server is called Poseidon.

I feel like you really missed an opportunity to name your mail server achelies. You can't possibly deliver mail any faster than achilles lol.

Personally for a small environment I try to keep the hostname small and purpose + 2 digit number. DC01 / MAIL01 / VH01 (virtual host) / VCSA01 etc.... I don't want to have to look at 10 servers and wonder what the hell each one is and login to each one. There are some you log into weekly/daily that you'll remember but after that.... I would go crazy. With my virtual hosts for example.. there's 3 and having 3 unique names would just annoy me.

But for a render farm or clustered devices I would definitely use a naming convention that's expandable. REND001 would be perfect to me.

For large business (on windows) I would have a domain for each site, which does create a longer DNS name but makes it a little more uniform. MAIL01.WA.Company.org (WA being Washington). Global I would buy multiple domains (.us .uk .au etc...) Going a little off-topic but this also isolates what stolen credentials could do (or "hacked") with proper trust relationships. I really like the red-forest design from microsoft.

I generally don't bother naming things, except my wifi is called |OrIoN and my backup server is Dead-pool. Dead-pool, because it's a pool and also deadpool is cool... and OrIoN because I always loved the fables/myths/Legends and Orion was the hunter, plus it's the constellation that's nearest my sight from my house in certain seasons. my actual server used to be called dead-pool, but moved the name after a dismantled it in favour of consolidating the server into my Main PC.

I reckon it should be called "Silver" so Silver Server... get it? I'll get my coat ?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 1/21/2019 at 7:38 AM, leadeater said:

When you have over 1000 of them you need proper names, nick names just don't cut it.

that advice would have been awesome to whoever decided to make elasticsearch (2.x and bellow) to use random marvel hero names as server names on startup.... yes on startup meaning you get a new name on restart if you did not manually setup them up beforehand.

on that note, for something at home I usually use either planet/moon names or weather elements as my servers/workstation names (for example IO or Thunder) if its for work i usually use a naming scheme something along [Datacenter][physical/virtual][prod,QA,UAT][purpose][number] like

PLAPPSRV001

Physical or Virtual: P
OS Flavor: L
Device Function: APPSRV
Device Number: 001