Can You Create A Windows Vista Bootable USB/HARD DRIVE?

Hello.

I have a question,

Could you possibly boot Windows Vista off A 32/64GB USB or a Hard drive? I'm pretty certain that this is possible,

You may be asking "WHY WINDOWS VISTA?!?" Well I thought wouldn't it be great to share the joys of a 12 Year old operating system that changed how Windows looked in our pocket? But of course this could be done with any version of Windows such 10,8.1/8/7/XP or even 2000+95! The hard disk drive would be the USB and the computer would be what gives it Internet and such other things. Could this be made into a Video if Possible?

Thank you very much,

IsaacCatnology ?.

it'll only require the machine to be able to detect and boot from usb media

In addition to what @emosun said, you also may need to carry around a good amount of drivers with you, so you can still use things like wireless, Ethernet, gpu, etc. no matter what kind of hardware config you'll encounter. So you'll want to invest in a big ol' boi.

3 hours ago, emosun said:

it'll only require the machine to be able to detect and boot from usb media

That shouldn’t Be a problem. I am just wondering how to do it as I have been struggling with it for the past six months.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

In addition to what @emosun said, you also may need to carry around a good amount of drivers with you, so you can still use things like wireless, Ethernet, gpu, etc. no matter what kind of hardware config you'll encounter. So you'll want to invest in a big ol' boi.

Ok, Well in one of the Linus Tech Tip‘s videos Linus,  boots  off a SD card but he is somehow connected to the Internet would that be because he installed the drivers or the compatibility?  But I’m not too worried about that,

5 hours ago, IsaacCatnology said:

Ok, Well in one of the Linus Tech Tip‘s videos Linus,  boots  off a SD card but he is somehow connected to the Internet would that be because he installed the drivers or the compatibility?  But I’m not too worried about that,

Because Windows 10 (what he used) has a good set of ready to go drivers that are good enough to get one going. Vista doesn't have that, nor any other Windows OS for that matter.

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Because Windows 10 (what he used) has a good set of ready to go drivers that are good enough to get one going. Vista doesn't have that, nor any other Windows OS for that matter.

Total nonsense, Windows has included a fairly large set of drivers for common hardware dating back to Windows 95, the problem is running a 12 year old OS on a modern system you cannot possibly expect the OS to have drivers that supports the modern hardware which didn't exist when it was created.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Total nonsense, Windows has included a fairly large set of drivers for common hardware dating back to Windows 95, the problem is running a 12 year old OS on a modern system you cannot possibly expect the OS to have drivers that supports the modern hardware which didn't exist when it was created.

I don't call "total nonsense" because every damn time I had to install XP or even 7 on a machine, it needed drivers. I'm talking about prebuilt systems where the OS needed a full reinstall and the factory .iso wasn't available.

7 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't call "total nonsense" because every damn time I had to install XP or even 7 on a machine, it needed drivers. I'm talking about prebuilt systems where the OS needed a full reinstall and the factory .iso wasn't available.

What? You said, and I quote...

17 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

...which is total nonsense. Windows Vista had a library of drivers included with it as has every version of Windows since 95. Just because you had to install drivers for hardware it didn't include doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Here's a fun experiment for you, grab a copy of an original Windows 10 ISO, the very first release of it and go install it onto an X470 system and see what happens.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

What? You said, and I quote...

...which is total nonsense. Windows Vista had a library of drivers included with it as has every version of Windows since 95. Just because you had to install drivers for hardware it didn't include doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Here's a fun experiment for you, grab a copy of an original Windows 10 ISO, the very first release of it and go install it onto an X470 system and see what happens.

I don't know what you're confused about here. I mean XP through 7, so I meant to include Vista in that too. They may have some drivers, but surely not all of them, nor a hefty bank like 10. Op should still consider carrying backups with him.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

I don't know what you're confused about here. I mean XP through 7. They may have some drivers, but surely not all of them, nor a hefty bank like 10. Op should still consider carrying backups with him.

I am not disagreeing with you on that point however to say Windows Vista didn't have a "good set of ready to go" drivers is wrong. It has a good selection of period correct drivers but its simply impossible for Microsoft to include every driver in a Windows release.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I am not disagreeing with you on that point however to say Windows Vista didn't have a "good set of ready to go" drivers is wrong. It has a good selection of period correct drivers but its simply impossible for Microsoft to include every driver in a Windows release.

Well then your experiences are different from mine.

12 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Well then your experiences are different from mine.

Its not about experience, what you said is demonstrably wrong, full stop.

8 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Thank you, so Windows 10 would be the operating system to use?

Should I use RUFUS? And boot to it and run the installer but will it recognise the drive?