CPU for VM Heavy Build.

So basically I'm going to be building my Grandpa a new PC for his work (he works from home) and he usually runs a lot of Virtual Machines at once. I can't decide wether it should have a Ryzen 7 or an i9 for the CPU. AMD is known for their productivity but the Intel i9 series have better throughput. What CPU would you recommend for this build and why?

A 9900K is better than every ryzen CPU in terms of both multithreaded and single threaded performance.

AMD is only "known for their productivity" because you can get 8 core 16 thread for cheap.

But that comes at a cost of core performance.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Zer0BL2 said:

So basically I'm going to be building my Grandpa a new PC for his work (he works from home) and he usually runs a lot of Virtual Machines at once. I can't decide wether it should have a Ryzen 7 or an i9 for the CPU. AMD is known for their productivity but the Intel i9 series have better throughput. What CPU would you recommend for this build and why?

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

A 9900K is better than every ryzen CPU in terms of both multithreaded and single threaded performance.

AMD is only "known for their productivity" because you can get 8 core 16 thread for cheap.

But that comes at a cost of core performance.

Just to play a sort of devils advocate you might want to also think about future proofing. It seems as if Zen 2 will be on par with the 9900k and if you want PCIe thoughput PCIe 4.0 will help. Also because the 2700x is cheeper you could invest the difference in storage if you are on a budget.

Depends on a lot of factors...For example, does he want ECC support on his server? If so, you would have to step up to Xeon on Intel. Ryzen will support ECC but IMHO I wouldn't go with R7 if I were building an AMD server (as a home user) I would opt for threadripper. More lanes and more cores.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

It seems as if Zen 2 will be on par with the 9900k 

That's what people said when ryzen was first announced lol.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Razor Blade said:

Depends on a lot of factors...For example, does he want ECC support on his server? If so, you would have to step up to Xeon on Intel. Ryzen will support ECC but IMHO I wouldn't go with R7 if I were building an AMD server (as a home user) I would opt for threadripper. More lanes and more cores.

It won't actually be a server, it will be his normal PC as well. He just wants to be able to run more VM's, more efficiently, while still being able to use it as an every day PC.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's what people said when ryzen was first announced lol.

Touche, but this time we did see benchmarks.

I would get him 32GB of RAM. CPU shouldn't matter too much, both are 8c, 8th. Both will be great for VMs, and the 32GB of RAM would really help him have decent amounts of RAM per VM. 

I'd almost say just go with whatever is cheaper

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Touche, but this time we did see benchmarks.

Where...?

Hopefully you're not talking about the stuff form AMD themselves.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

I would get him 32GB of RAM. CPU shouldn't matter too much, both are 8c, 8th. Both will be great for VMs, and the 32GB of RAM would really help him have decent amounts of RAM per VM. 

I'd almost say just go with whatever is cheaper

I plan on 64GB

12 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

It seems as if Zen 2 will be on par with the 9900k

That's just speculation. Just because it SEEMs like Zen 2 will be on par with the 9900K, it doesn't mean that it will.

17 minutes ago, Zer0BL2 said:

What CPU would you recommend for this build and why?

The 9900K is better than the 2700x in every single way, except in terms of value. If you have the budget for a 9900K, it's the obvious choice.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

17 minutes ago, Zer0BL2 said:

It won't actually be a server, it will be his normal PC as well. He just wants to be able to run more VM's, more efficiently, while still being able to use it as an every day PC.

Cool! Well as someone who runs VMs on a Ryzen system I can say that the limiting factor is how much RAM I have...not CPU.

Truly I don't know what his needs are so I can't really recommend one CPU. If he needs PCIe lanes, threadripper 1950x is about the same price as an i9 9900k but has 4 times the amount of PCIe lanes available. If he needs more speed and single thread performance, hard to beat that i9-9900k. But in the case of Ryzen 7? It isn't fair to compare R7 to an i9 in terms of performance IMO.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

On 1/19/2019 at 3:55 PM, Razor Blade said:

Cool! Well as someone who runs VMs on a Ryzen system I can say that the limiting factor is how much RAM I have...not CPU.

Truly I don't know what his needs are so I can't really recommend one CPU. If he needs PCIe lanes, threadripper 1950x is about the same price as an i9 9900k but has 4 times the amount of PCIe lanes available. If he needs more speed and single thread performance, hard to beat that i9-9900k. But in the case of Ryzen 7? It isn't fair to compare R7 to an i9 in terms of performance IMO.

Ok I think I'll go with the threadripper then, cause single core performance isn't what he needs, he needs the pcie lanes. Thanks for the advice.

When I built a PC for this purpose I went with the 7820x at the time. The HEDT X299 platform often has more RAM slots and supports higher limits than the general consumer range. And RAM is a big thing for VM usage. 

If I was to do it today, I would be looking at threadripper or the i9 9940x.