Gaming laptop?

Go to solution Solved by Super Spartan,
4 hours ago, DerekAnaya said:

I would prefer laptops that people have actually used. I still do care about the thermals, and with me just filing my taxes, price isn't TOO much of a concern.

HIDevolution is a system builder and their quality/quality control is top notch. They offer thermal mod upgrades like adding Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut which is one of the best liquid metal thermal interface out there in addition to Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads to further bring the temps down.

If you want the new RTX GPU, then check out their new laptop line up here: http://www.hidevolution.com/nvidia-rtx-new-release

If you don't mind the previous GTX 10xx GPU lineup which is perfectly capable of running today's games and even future games at least for the next 2-3 years at max or high settings, then I recommend you one of these:

Custom Built MSI GT75 8RG TITAN-093 17.3" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Custom Built MSI GS73 STEALTH 8RF-014 17.3" 4K w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q

Custom Built ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS-DS74 Scar Edition - 17.3" FHD 144Hz G-Sync w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Custom Built ASUS ROG G703GI-XS71 - 17.3" FHD 144Hz G-Sync w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Custom Built Alienware 17 R4-HID58 (Late 2016) - 3K QHD Tobii - nVIDIA GTX 1080

They are all on discount now since the release of the new RTX GPU Lineup but if you email donald@hidevolution.com before ordering you might be able to get a little bit more discount.

On a side note, I own the MSI GT75 Titan and previously had the MSI GT73VR Titan Pro, what I love about MSI laptops is they have the best cooling solution out of the box and simply "work" out of the box without the need of any fiddling around with the system.

You can see my GT75 Review here: MSI GT75 TITAN 8RG-094 Review by Ultra Male

As the title implies, what gaming laptops do you guys recommend? I'm looking for a heavy duty gamer. At minimum I want an i7 with a 1070. I honestly do NOT care about weight, aesthetics or noise. I couldn't find a forum that really included any "heavy" ones. Decent screen would be a plus.

do you have a budget or should i recommend the most expensive laptop i can find

I would prefer laptops that people have actually used. I still do care about the thermals, and with me just filing my taxes, price isn't TOO much of a concern.

4 hours ago, DerekAnaya said:

HIDevolution is a system builder and their quality/quality control is top notch. They offer thermal mod upgrades like adding Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut which is one of the best liquid metal thermal interface out there in addition to Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads to further bring the temps down.

If you want the new RTX GPU, then check out their new laptop line up here: http://www.hidevolution.com/nvidia-rtx-new-release

If you don't mind the previous GTX 10xx GPU lineup which is perfectly capable of running today's games and even future games at least for the next 2-3 years at max or high settings, then I recommend you one of these:

Custom Built ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS-DS74 Scar Edition - 17.3" FHD 144Hz G-Sync w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Custom Built ASUS ROG G703GI-XS71 - 17.3" FHD 144Hz G-Sync w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

They are all on discount now since the release of the new RTX GPU Lineup but if you email donald@hidevolution.com before ordering you might be able to get a little bit more discount.

On a side note, I own the MSI GT75 Titan and previously had the MSI GT73VR Titan Pro, what I love about MSI laptops is they have the best cooling solution out of the box and simply "work" out of the box without the need of any fiddling around with the system.

Alienware m18 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | Kingston FURY Impact 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 18" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 165Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB + 4TB + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Education

Dell XPS 15 9500 | Intel i7-10875H | Kingston FURY Impact 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM | GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q 4 GB GDDR6 | 15.6 UHD+ Touch (3840 x 2400) 500-nits screen | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB + 4TB SSDs | Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 | Windows 11 Education

5 hours ago, DerekAnaya said:

snip

Where are you from? Budget? Any preference on battery life?

Might want to wait for RTX laptop too

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? Budget? Any preference on battery life?

Might want to wait for RTX laptop too

I'm in North America, budget isn't a problem, I honestly don't care about battery life. I'm basically looking for a portable desktop. Just something I can unplug and take with me without having to worry about a monitor and peripherals. 

4 hours ago, Ultra Male said:

You are the freaking bomb dude. Thank you so much. I'm not sure how I've not come across any of this except the alienware.

21 minutes ago, DerekAnaya said:

budget isn't a problem

Clevo P750/P775/P870 from HIDevolution

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

20 minutes ago, DerekAnaya said:

You are the freaking bomb dude. Thank you so much. I'm not sure how I've not come across any of this except the alienware.

Anytime man. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions as I have years of experience having had owned numerous laptops.

Also, if you do end up joining the HIDevolution Team, then I can help you tweak your laptop for free just for being part of the team. Here are the Ultra Male Tweaks:

1- Uninstallation of all the Windows Store Garbage Apps like 3D Paint, Print 3D, Alarms & Clock, Feedback Hub, Maps, Groove Music, News, Weather, etc.
2- Removing all Windows 10 Privacy Invasion stuff like Telemetry, collecting your activities that you do on your computer, sending your keystrokes to Microsoft, automatically installing suggested apps in the background, allowing Microsoft to conduct experiments on your laptop, disabling automatic driver updates through Windows updates, disabling Windows 10 ads, disabling Cortana, Cloud Search etc.
3- Disabling Microsoft Edge from starting up automatically in the background upon reboot.
4- Adjusting a lot of options in PC Settings like disabling Windows Tablet Mode (you have a laptop not a tablet), disabling suggestions appearing in the start menu, disabling automatically connecting to Paid WiFi Hotspots, disabling Game DVR which reduced performance in games, and a lot more.
5- Replacing Cortana with a much better search tool that finds results instantly called Everything which finds any file you want as soon as you start typing even a few letters of its name and it doesn't even rely on the Windows Indexing Service to do this!
6- Restoring the Classic Windows Photo Viewer from Windows 7
7- Restoring the Classic Windows 7 Start Menu
8- Restoring the Classic Calculator from Windows 7
9- Removal of the new and useless 3D Objects Folder that appears when you open "Computer"
10- Complet.ely disabling Windows Defender from its roots (including all scheduled tasks and startup files) for those who want to install their own AV. ESET NOD32 Antivirus is highly recommended if you want the utmost security with the least system performance impact.
11- Updating all drivers to the latest versions in case they weren't up to date.
12- Disabling Windows 10 Power Throttling which limits CPU performance in favor of more battery life
13- Overprovisioning your SSD anywhere between 10-20% depending on how much space you can spare to ensure optimal and consistent performance at all times.
14- Blocking the Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool (which causes a high system load when it is scanning files)
15- Preventing Microsoft Edge from running on startup in the background
16- Restoring the missing default power plans in Windows 10 (ie. High performance, Power saver, and adding the new Ultimate Performance Plan)
17- Creating a system restoration image so that you can restore your computer the way it was after I have tweaked it within a few minutes easily!

gEtmQsn.png

Alienware m18 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | Kingston FURY Impact 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 18" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 165Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB + 4TB + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Education

Dell XPS 15 9500 | Intel i7-10875H | Kingston FURY Impact 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM | GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q 4 GB GDDR6 | 15.6 UHD+ Touch (3840 x 2400) 500-nits screen | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB + 4TB SSDs | Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 | Windows 11 Education

1 minute ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Clevo P750/P775/P870 from HIDevolution

That is another great option. You see, Clevo's laptops usually come with the stock BIOS which is very limited and causes CPU throttling when both the CPU + GPU are in use simultaneously, (ie. while playing a game). Since HIDevolution is a Prema Partner, you get the Custom Prema BIOS for free. Here are the benefits of the Prema BIOS:

·         Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU

·         Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency

·         Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio

·         Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states

·         Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency

·         Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality

·         Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior

·         Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality

·         Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles

·         Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired

·         Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization

·         Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features

·         Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration

·         Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

29 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

snip

Thanks for adding this. Yeah Prema BIOS is nice to have

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

So after what feels like days of research and looking at how literally nothing met ALL of my requirements....it turns out I'm going to be designing and building my own "luggable" pc with a friend. It will have literally everything I want AND have every piece be upgradeable since it is essentially a small desktop with a built in monitor and speakers. It'll also be cheap and have MY choice of parts.