What 3D printer?

No_Thor

Trying to help my brother choose a 3D printer and we have two that we are looking at.

either Creality CR-10S4 or Prusa i3 MK3?

And was wondering if anyone have experience with any of them or both.

Witch one to choose for printing 3D models, cosmetic parts for car's and stuff like that.

4 minutes ago, No_Thor said:

Trying to help my brother choose a 3D printer and we have two that we are looking at.

either Creality CR-10S4 or Prusa i3 MK3?

And was wondering if anyone have experience with any of them or both.

Witch one to choose for printing 3D models, cosmetic parts for car's and stuff like that.

The prusa i3 mk3 all the way. Unless you need the build volume (you probably wont), the prusa is the better machine in every way imaginable.

ASU

Both are really good, but I'd recommend the Prusa i3 mk3. Have you looked at the Creality Ender 3? That's the model I have and it's been an amazing, reliable printer; it goes for 180-200USD, which is significantly less money than the CR-10S4 and i3 mk3.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

the creality looks too expensive for what it is, unless if you are planning on printing bigger than 200x200x200, at which point you may be waiting days for a print to complete.. at which point i wouldnt wanna rely on a cheap printer.

i'd say yes to the prusa.. but i still am iffy about 3D printers being made of 3D printed parts.. especially when entirely steel alternatives (or more specificly.. ripoffs) exist like the wanhao..

on that note, my wanhao i3 plus is still going strong.. it's had its issues but parts are available and it's a very "mod-able" platform. cant speak for their recent i3 mark 2 however.

On 1/19/2019 at 3:59 PM, Hackentosher said:

The prusa i3 mk3 all the way. Unless you need the build volume (you probably wont), the prusa is the better machine in every way imaginable.

Have to ask him if he need that volume. I don't think he need it.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:02 PM, thegreengamers said:

Both are really good, but I'd recommend the Prusa i3 mk3. Have you looked at the Creality Ender 3? That's the model I have and it's been an amazing, reliable printer; it goes for 180-200USD, which is significantly less money than the CR-10S4 and i3 mk3.

I have not, gonna look it up.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:03 PM, manikyath said:

the creality looks too expensive for what it is, unless if you are planning on printing bigger than 200x200x200, at which point you may be waiting days for a print to complete.. at which point i wouldnt wanna rely on a cheap printer.

i'd say yes to the prusa.. but i still am iffy about 3D printers being made of 3D printed parts.. especially when entirely steel alternatives (or more specificly.. ripoffs) exist like the wanhao..

on that note, my wanhao i3 plus is still going strong.. it's had its issues but parts are available and it's a very "mod-able" platform. cant speak for their recent i3 mark 2 however.

Don't think he need the size, but have to ask him.

Was a bit sceptical to the Prusa just because of that, but of what I can see it's there seems that it's not a  problem.

8 minutes ago, No_Thor said:

Don't think he need the size, but have to ask him.

Was a bit sceptical to the Prusa just because of that, but of what I can see it's there seems that it's not a  problem.

its not necessarily that it's an issue, its just more so that it's a lower build quality, for a higher price.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy13 said:

Check out a youtube channel Makers Muse, They do some quite informative budget 3D printer reviews.

Thank you, gonna have a look.

I'm having the biggest deja vu at the moment reading these posts.

Between the two, probably the Prusa. I own a CR10-S (regular one, not S4 or S5) and I rarely use the available build volume. Large beds also take a long time to heat up (if you're printing with a heated bed), and need more care getting completely level to use it fully; something to keep in mind. If the S4 is close to the regular S than they are pretty much on par in my opinion. They both have a good user base, and my CR10-S can produce some amazing prints when dialed in well. Think of the Creality things requiring some more effort on your part to use and get dialed in, whereas the Prusa is more like a name-brand with some better support (probably), QC and overall build quality (thought my CR10-S is pretty good).

Plus nothing beats that first layer on a glass bed...

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

18 hours ago, manikyath said:

i had the wanhao i3 plus for almost two years and replaced it with the Prusa MK3 in december.

Its a night and day difference in reliability and print quality, also after just a few prints you dont ever want to go without auto bed leveling again and after the filament sensor saved your first overnight print you also question how you have gone without it.

im so satisfied with my MK3 i ordered the MMU2 last week and really looking forward to printing with it.

1 hour ago, Pixel5 said:

i had the wanhao i3 plus for almost two years and replaced it with the Prusa MK3 in december.

Its a night and day difference in reliability and print quality, also after just a few prints you dont ever want to go without auto bed leveling again and after the filament sensor saved your first overnight print you also question how you have gone without it.

im so satisfied with my MK3 i ordered the MMU2 last week and really looking forward to printing with it.

that sounds more like your i3 plus just wasnt set up correctly.. print quality on mine is pretty spot on with PLA prints, havent bothered to make a decent profile for the other stuff i have laying around.

the auto bed leveling is something that'd come in handy.. only i do have questions by the means trough which it is done.. (if you wonder, go google.) oh, and the i3 plus mark 2 has it too.