What's considered old for an hdd?

I've got a few wd greens I've pulled from satalite boxes all of which has a capacity of 500 gb. They all have had at least a year of read and writes and were never cleaned prior to me getting them since then some have 20k hour and my c drive has 66223 hours should I upgrade I've been storing all my games on a separate disk the c drive is a wd green 500 gb.

Sorry if in wrong area or poor punctuality new here. 

To answer the question... What is the reallocated, pending, and offline uncorrectable counts? Those are more of an indicator than age or hours usually. You can download crystal disk info to get a more layman's view of S.M.A.R.T data. Do you hear bearing noises when powered on? Do you hear unusual tapping when reading or writing data?

IMO old 500GB WD green caviler drives are worth maybe playing around with but not really worth risking unrecoverable data over...they're going to be unbelievably slow even in a stripe array so they're not that useful in a NAS. If you're just flipping cheap computers or need something to transfer large files over using HDD toasters, that's about all I would suggest.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Live boot into an Ubuntu distro, then go to Preferences > Disks. Run an extended SMART test. If it comes back clean, you're good. If it comes back with bad sectors, you've got problems coming your way sooner or later. If something fails in the test, get your data off of that drive right now.

WD Greens aren't the fastest drives on the planet in the first place, and age doesn't speed them up. Food for thought.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, campy said:

Some hard drives can be hit or miss, I've got some that have lasted literal decades and others that died after a few years.

Toshibas never miss

e8ghhdsd40x11.png

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

8 hours ago, Sparky221438 said:

I've got a few wd greens I've pulled from satalite boxes all of which has a capacity of 500 gb. They all have had at least a year of read and writes and were never cleaned prior to me getting them since then some have 20k hour and my c drive has 66223 hours should I upgrade I've been storing all my games on a separate disk the c drive is a wd green 500 gb.

Sorry if in wrong area or poor punctuality new here. 

Hard Drives are technically "old" the moment they're turned on. Those drives pulled from cable boxes could last another 30 years, or they could die tomorrow, so just be sure to backup whatever data you have on them and use them until they're dead.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)