external hard drive issues

Teradore

so i got an 8 TB Seagate external drive and i plunged it in to my PC and was using it just fine for a wile and i came home one day and with out moving the drive or anything the drive was no longer seen by my PC. it dosn't show up on my PC in file explorer or disk management. it dose show up in device manager for like, 30 seconds when you un-plug the power and plug it in again. then it goes away. I've tried multiple power cables and multiple USB cables on 2 outlets on 2 windows 2 computers, no luck. it sounds like things are working for half a second then clicks and no longer feels like anything is moving. Seagate has been no help simply telling me to try the same things I've already tried. they even sent me a link to have it be replaced by warranty that didn't work.

Don't Judge my spelling I'm dyslexic 

Seems like maybe power supply issue? What model is the drive?

@seagate_surfer

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Seems like maybe power supply issue? What model is the drive?

@seagate_surfer

"The Seagate® Expansion™ External hard drive" is how its named on the website. I have tried different outlets as well.

3 minutes ago, Teradore said:

"The Seagate® Expansion™ External hard drive" is how its named on the website. I have tried different outlets as well.

I've tagged the Seagate industry affiliate here who might be able to help you with warranty issues or other suggestions. Do you have access to a different power adapter? Maybe one from a external drive unit that matches power, polarity, and plug specs which can usually be found on the power adapter's label.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

I've tagged the Seagate industry affiliate here who might be able to help you with warranty issues or other suggestions. Do you have access to a different power adapter? Maybe one from a external drive unit that matches power, polarity, and plug specs which can usually be found on the power adapter's label.

I have tried this, no go.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:48 PM, Teradore said:

so i got an 8 TB Seagate external drive and i plunged it in to my PC and was using it just fine for a wile and i came home one day and with out moving the drive or anything the drive was no longer seen by my PC. it dosn't show up on my PC in file explorer or disk management. it dose show up in device manager for like, 30 seconds when you un-plug the power and plug it in again. then it goes away. I've tried multiple power cables and multiple USB cables on 2 outlets on 2 windows 2 computers, no luck. it sounds like things are working for half a second then clicks and no longer feels like anything is moving. Seagate has been no help simply telling me to try the same things I've already tried. they even sent me a link to have it be replaced by warranty that didn't work.

? I hate to say this but when I see things like these happen, I can only assume the worst: The unit became corrupted...

I have seen devices that have been fixed with a firmware update, have you already tried a firmware update? Have you tried other steps in addition to those listed here? How about trying to recreate the file system and the partition table? And the link to verify your guarantee is this, sorry for the hustle and bustle: 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 1/21/2019 at 9:01 AM, seagate_surfer said:

? I hate to say this but when I see things like these happen, I can only assume the worst: The unit became corrupted...

I have seen devices that have been fixed with a firmware update, have you already tried a firmware update? Have you tried other steps in addition to those listed here? How about trying to recreate the file system and the partition table? And the link to verify your guarantee is this, sorry for the hustle and bustle: 

i haven't tried any firm ware but i had already started the process of getting a replacement anyways. there wasn't much on there as I've only had it since Christmas and all the data was baked up. so no big deal. 

Oh, perfect! I'm glad that the replacement of the unit is already in progress! You can still try the FW update in case you wonder, go to the download finder and see if there is one available for you: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming