How will I put this back together??

nicklmg

A minute in and my bad idea detector has overheated.

Also, god damnit @AlexTheGreatish

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

7 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Buy cameras on Amazon: http://geni.us/kxgN2Zw

It would've been a smart idea to put the name of the camera in the title.

But I guess you guys don't really care. Almost all of your titles are clickbait these days.

I also gave your video a dislike, just because of that clickbait title ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

If you told us in the title what it is, some of us might be interested in watching the video. 

For instance:

How will I put it back together?? - Name of the product

But I suppose that's the point of clickbait. 

EDIT: as stated, they changed the name of the video, not the thread. It's all good.

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

someone call Strange Parts and Jerry rig everything, also have no clue what the video is about by the title assumed it's a phone. oh well. 

Edit : The title has been changed, much appreciated. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

For a solid fucking minute, I thought this post was bot spam. It wasn't until I looked at who posted it, and where to, did it occur to me. Maybe it's time to bring back meaningful titles.

12 minutes ago, Geography said:

It would've been a smart idea to put the name of the camera in the title.

But I guess you guys don't really care. Almost all of your titles are clickbait these days.

I also gave your video a dislike, just because of that clickbait title ;)

11 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

If you told us in the title what it is, some of us might be interested in watching the video.

11 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

also have no clue what the video is about by the title assumed it's a phone.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

For a solid fucking minute, I thought this post was bot spam. It wasn't until I looked at who posted it, and where to, did it occur to me. Maybe it's time to bring back meaningful titles.

LOL they changed it

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

I'm trying to watch the video now, it's in HD but the whole video is at like, 10 fps. Why is Google so insistent fucking over LTT? I highly doubt someone fucked up and rendered it wrong, then moved it to the upload machine.

1 minute ago, Red :) said:

LOL they changed it

The changed the name of the video, not the forum post (at least not yet). I was talking about the forum post itself. Because the last two days there's been quite a bit of bot spam that I've been able to see.

6 minutes ago, Red :) said:

LOL they changed it

Thanks for changing the title guys! We appreciate it!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Will you post any high res photos of the disassembly (iFixit style)?

44 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Buy cameras on Amazon: http://geni.us/kxgN2Zw

Will there be a part 2?

If not, did you manage to get it back together and/or working?

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Did you guys try getting in touch with a camera rental house?  Some of them do their own in house repairs so they end up making disassembly guides for everything they rent.  I know Lensrentals, for example, does this for their stuff, they don't publish all of them but if you contacted them they might be willing to send you their internal guide for Red cameras.  Going by some of the tear down articles they've done this seems like a project they'd be into.

@LinusTech

You seemed to get a little bit panicky as you were taking more and more stuff off it, I know these cameras are expensive and all but if I can give you any advise it would be to relax and slow down. If you panic and rush you are going to mess up trust me I'm studying car maintenance & repair at college, I've been there and worn the t-shirt. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

"Why don't we water cool a camera? Well I couldn't think of a reason not to!" Really? He couldn't think of a reason not to water cool a $20,000 USD Camera...

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

if all the caps lock keys in the world broke the LTT employee who writes the titles would be the first one to notice it wasn't working. 

She/Her

Haha I thought this title was for a post on the forum of someone wanting help

Wow! Anxiety over expensive RED cameras sure went away quick. I mean, I know you were still sweating, but when you guys got your first RED, I remember a very different attitude about it than the one I see in this video. A couple years ago, I never would have thought you would have dared to disassemble one. I mean...maaaybe to do an out-of-warranty repair, but certainly not to mod one just for the sake of making a video.

Disassembling/reassembling cameras is not something I personally would ever attempt without some reference. It took 3 attempts to get my brother's DSLR back together and functional after fixing it a few years ago — that was with comprehensive teardown instructions. I predict you guys will require a couple reassembly attempts minimum (if you even get to the point that the mod is "successful", that is). Good luck, Alex. You're going to need it.

25 minutes ago, trogdor0 said:

Wow! Anxiety over expensive RED cameras sure went away quick. I mean, I know you were still sweating, but when you guys got your first RED, I remember a very different attitude about it than the one I see in this video. A couple years ago, I never would have thought you would have dared to disassemble one. I mean...maaaybe to do an out-of-warranty repair, but certainly not to mod one just for the sake of making a video.

Disassembling/reassembling cameras is not something I personally would ever attempt without some reference. It took 3 attempts to get my brother's DSLR back together and functional after fixing it a few years ago — that was with comprehensive teardown instructions. I predict you guys will require a couple reassembly attempts minimum (if you even get to the point that the mod is "successful", that is). Good luck, Alex. You're going to need it.

Nah. They'll just have a Red engineer fly over to do it for them.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Nah. They'll just have a Red engineer fly over to do it for them.

They'll actually just toss it all in a box, toss in a note that say "Whoops. We accident the camera", tape up the box and throw it into the post back to RED :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I say use the CNC Router and 3D print to make custom parts and see if it works for the Red Camera to work with water cooling.

Just made an account to write this. By taking apart the red camera your team has revealed a lot of really interesting stuff I’ve been wondering about for years. As Linus pointed out, no one has really done this before, or at least shared the results online. So why is that important?

Because the engineering and software that makes Red cameras so good is pretty mysterious. Maybe not for an engineer at Blackmagic, or Arri that has access to a lot of insider info, but definitely for an engineering hobbyist like me.

A lot of the mystery surrounds how well Reds get such good dynamic range and low noise levels. At one point Dx0 gave a Red an insanely high performance score because the noise floor for the Helium sensor appeared unreasonably low. They started to wonder if Red was using some sort of inter-frame noise reduction algorithm.

The more relevant question is whether or not Red camera sensors are cooled with Peltiers (thermoelectric cooler) behind the sensor. A camera sensor cooled below ambient temperature has superior dynamic range and lower noise floor. The Arri Alexa and all Blackmagic cameras use peltiers, and I’ve wondered for a while it Reds do too, but I’ve never found a definitive answer online. The video was inconclusive, but I’m sure your team will figure out if it does.

So here’s what you need to do for the follow-up video.

-Tell us if the Red uses a peltier!

-If it doesn’t, ADD A PELTIER! Or if you can’t, just give the sensor excellent cooling. Why? Better performance! At least there’s the possibility of a consistently low noise floor which translates to better dynamic range.  Linus mentioned the only reason you started the project was to make a quieter camera. Sure that makes sense, but I believe one of the main things that contributes to a cinema camera’s vastly superior dynamic range over a DSLR is its sensor cooling system.

-If you can get it working again, do detailed dynamic range tests and compare to a vanilla 8K Helium camera. If you can improve the sensor cooling then you could end up with one the best performing cinema cameras ever.

I’m interested in the results because I have a theory that as a hobbyist I could mod a cheap mirrorless camera with video functionality like the A7sII or Fujifilm XT3 by adding a peltier and beefy cooling system to get cinema-camera level dynamic range out of it.

Linus, share your pictures!

It is a rather poor design when they make it difficult to take apart enough to at least get access to the heatsink fins.

With higher density fins, it is important to be able to at least clean out the dust, especially since these cameras will be used in a wide range of locations.

I find it really educating to see the shots Linus made of the process of taking the camera apart. Particularly I'm interested in seeing what FPGAs have been used and the overall structure of the system. By the way, I'm an Electronics engineer and I can learn many things from this.?