Would it all fit?

Apollo 16

I recently bought an HP Workstation Z220 for $60 and I want to put everything into a nicer case since the one I have now is absolutely disgusting. I don't know much about computers, but would everything fit into the case I want to get? I am thinking of getting a Thermaltake CA-1J1-00S1NN case from Amazon but I don't know if I can fit everything in it. Can someone tell me if it is something like a universal fit or does it only hold certain types of hardware?

I believe the motherboard in those systems are ATX, that case is mATX and will be too small, if I am correct.

You'll want to look into ATX mid tower cases.

Heres a list of a bunch:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#t=3

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, SirFido said:

Hey! Do you have the HP Workstation Z220 SFF or CMT

I have a Workstation Z220 CMT I believe

31 minutes ago, Apollo 16 said:

I have a Workstation Z220 CMT I believe

Yes, then it seems like you need to follow @Slottr's advise, that is an ATX system.

Make sure that the case you choose has enough space for your storage devices, like SSD's and hard drives. You should be able to figure out how many you have by simpy looking in file explorer or, more prefirably, open up the case and take a look. I have attached an image pointing to where the storage devices are in the HP computer. When shopping for a new case, make sure that it can support all the storage devices you have. You should be able to find how many a given case supports by looking under "expansions" in the specification sheet. 2.5" and 3.5" refers to the diagonal width of the drive. 

Be aware that the thermaltake case you have listed above has an USB 3.0 port on the front. If i am not mistaken, i do belive that the motherboard in the HP computer does not have an USB 3.0 header, which means you might have to live with a dead usb port if you chose a case with a USB 3.0 port in the front, which most cases today have. 

The HP case also has a 5.25" bay in the front (that is where the card reader is). If you find a case that also has a 5.25" front bay port, you should be able to move the front card readers to it. I have also attached an image of where the 5.25" front bay, since i suck at explaining. 

The HP case has a DVD reader, but you can virtually forget about finding a case with one of those built in. If the DVD reader is important to you, you can replace the card readers in the 5.25" bay with a 5.25" DVD reader.

I think that covers most of it. I hope you have the best of luck! Do not hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions ? 

EDIT: I am a dumbass. The CMT has three 5.25" bays, and many USB 3.0 headers. Forget what i said about the dead USB's, that only counts for the SFF. If you find a case with one or more 5.25" bays you should be able to migrate the DVD reader and/or the card reader. Sorry for the mistake, it's late. /: 

Screenshot (117)_LI.jpg

Screenshot (118)_LI.jpg

Thanks so much! Here are some pictures if they are useful. There are two USB 3 ports in the front also.

20190119_131327.jpg

20190119_131244.jpg

That's great! It seems like you have two hard drives, both being 3.5" (it's a little hard to see the bottom one). That means you need to find a case that can hold two 3.5" disks, which 80% of cases can. One sec, let me see if i can find something similar to the Thermaltake one. 

I would not recommend it, but you are a man of free will so you can theoretically do whatever you want :D 

Aight, so you have a lot to choose from, but it is virtually impossible to find a case that is as cheap and sexy as that thermaltake one. Part of the reason why is because ATX systems are bigger and therefore require more material to be built, so they are more expensive. Here are a few alternatives: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JcgPxr/corsair-270r-atx-mid-tower-case-cc-9011106-ww

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2hzv6h/fractal-design-case-fdcaarcbl

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wNrG3C/cooler-master-case-nse400kkn2

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c67wrH/thermaltake-case-ca1b200m1nn00

Some of these have a 5.25" bay for your DVD- or card-readers, while some don't .

Those above are just examples, you can basically buy whatever you want from the link that @Slottrgave, the only thing you NEED to make sure is that it has enough space for your storage. If you want you can DM me the case you want, and i'll check it. 

I won't be putting the DVD Drive into the new case so I don't need one with room for it. I am thinking about getting that corsair case but I only have $50 to spend on a case that will fit. Maybe i'll try the thermaltake case and if it doesn't fit, i'll simply return it and get the corsair case since it is almost the same as I want to spend. 

Just now, Apollo 16 said:

I won't be putting the DVD Drive into the new case so I don't need one with room for it. I am thinking about getting that corsair case but I only have $50 to spend on a case that will fit. Maybe i'll try the thermaltake case and if it doesn't fit, i'll simply return it and get the corsair case since it is almost the same as I want to spend. 

I am sorry, but there is no way the thermaltake case would work. The main board literally just won't fit inside, 100% guaranteed. 

Whoops! I forgot to say that I found one by the same brand that seemed like it would fit it nicely.

A Thermaltake CA-1I3-00M1WN-00

3 minutes ago, Apollo 16 said:

Whoops! I forgot to say that I found one by the same brand that seemed like it would fit it nicely.

A Thermaltake CA-1I3-00M1WN-00

Sure! That one looks nice, good find! 

I saw this Asus P5Q-EM Do DDR2 Motherboard for sale for a great price. Should I buy it and use it instead of the motherboard I have now? It would then fit into the cheaper case. 

2 hours ago, Apollo 16 said:

I saw this Asus P5Q-EM Do DDR2 Motherboard for sale for a great price. Should I buy it and use it instead of the motherboard I have now? It would then fit into the cheaper case. 

That motherboard only supports ddr2 memory, the HP computer has ddr3 memory, so it would not work ? 

15 hours ago, Apollo 16 said:

No?

Spend a moment to think about it. You are considering replacing a motherboard circa to 2012 supporting the LGA1155 socket, with a motherboard from 2008 with the LGA775 socket.

Let that sink in...

The stock case is beautiful, just looking at it makes me peaceful and soothes my mind

No RGB, no glass, simple front buttons, no weird shaped edges... 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I sunk in. Glad it went offsale a few hours ago. Would this be better? image.png.47c47c7acccebba0c8ae82aaecadbb3f.png