New cooler for 2700x?

Giga Bus Driver

I am thinking of getting an aftermarket air cooler because currently my ryzen 2700x has an idle temp of 35C when i turn off PBO amd XFR so it is capped at 3.7Ghz. If i turn on PBO and XFR i start drawing out 1.5V and boosts me to 4.3Ghz at idle. This causes my idle temps to fluctuate between 40-55C and the ramping up and down of my Wraith Prism gets rather annoying. If i run cinebench with XFR and PBO on it does reach the higher 70s. This does make me a tad uncomfortable as cinebench isn’t that demanding test unlike prime 95. Should i invest in a aftermarket cooler like a cryorig h7 or just continue with my stock cooler? Would something like the cryorig h7 be a big jump in terms of cooling or is just not worth to swap out my wraith prism unless i get something like a noctua nhd15?

i reccomend one of the cooler master ML series. will keep it nice and cool. go for the 240 if the case allows, otherwise 120 will be fine. i have my ryzen on 1.45v 4ghz and it stays under 65 on load with fans at the lowest with the 120.

Its drawing 1.5v? Jesus Christ, how is it still alive? If you want to have a temp drop going from Prism cooler, get Dark Rock 4 or something better.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

1.5 is not a lot. its only worrying when it starts to hit 90 degrees, which it is not.

11 minutes ago, Uberdude said:

i reccomend one of the cooler master ML series. will keep it nice and cool. go for the 240 if the case allows, otherwise 120 will be fine. i have my ryzen on 1.45v 4ghz and it stays under 65 on load with fans at the lowest with the 120.

I wouldn't get one of those as the ML series has only 2 years warranty. I would get an EVGA CLC 240 or a Corsair H100i/H100x as their warranty is 5 years minimum (and they cover damage to other parts if it leaks).

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

16 minutes ago, Giga Bus Driver said:

Would something like the cryorig h7 be a big jump in terms of cooling or is just not worth to swap out my wraith prism unless i get something like a noctua nhd15?

Grab a Dark Rock 4, Dark Rock Pro 4, NH-D15, or NH-D15s. Don't get an AIO liquid cooler please.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Not sure how it affects having XFR & PBO on, but what power plan are you using in windows? I have windows balanced plan with the minimum power state for the CPU set to 5%, when I had my wraith it stayed fairly quiet when idle.

9 minutes ago, Tilaron said:

Not sure how it affects having XFR & PBO on, but what power plan are you using in windows? I have windows balanced plan with the minimum power state for the CPU set to 5%, when I had my wraith it stayed fairly quiet when idle.

I am using AMDs balanced power plan and i put my minimum processor power at 5% so truthfully without XFR and PBO my speed ranges from 2.2Ghz to 3.7Ghz capped and its idle temp is still quite high compared to my intel at high 20s.

15 minutes ago, Geography said:

Grab a Dark Rock 4, Dark Rock Pro 4, NH-D15, or NH-D15s. Don't get an AIO liquid cooler please.

I can only get the noctua in my country but they cost $120 usd. Not planning to get aio.

27 minutes ago, Uberdude said:

1.5 is not a lot. its only worrying when it starts to hit 90 degrees, which it is not.

I think i would prob hit the 90s if i ran aida64 or prime95 tests. If cinebench r15 could get my temps to 78C i think something more stressful should get me to 90C+

On 1/19/2019 at 8:30 AM, Giga Bus Driver said:

I can only get the noctua in my country but they cost $120 usd. Not planning to get aio.

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

What case and ram are you using?

The H7 is an upgrade but not by much. Your temps are fine but it might be worth getting a new cooler if you want to lower noise.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:47 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

What case and ram are you using?

The H7 is an upgrade but not by much. Your temps are fine but it might be worth getting a new cooler if you want to lower noise.

I'm using the NZXT H500 case with Kingston HyperX Predator RGB ram sticks (2x8gb). Well my entire setup seems to be quite loud, at about 44dB maybe an arms length away? Maybe it just sounds loud to me because I'm not used to it yet.

11 hours ago, Giga Bus Driver said:

I'm using the NZXT H500 case with Kingston HyperX Predator RGB ram sticks (2x8gb). Well my entire setup seems to be quite loud, at about 44dB maybe an arms length away? Maybe it just sounds loud to me because I'm not used to it yet.

Your temps are fine. If you want lower noise or oc, that could be a reason to upgrade the cooler. If that's your goal, it would also be good to isolate which components are too noisy by stopping fans with your hands until the noise goes away. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.