First time LTX and Canada travel tips?

orkid1989

I am from St.louis Missouri and excited to fly to Canada and LTX for the first time but have a few traveling questions.

First. I would like to join in the lan party but fear packing my fractal r6 atx with glass panel gaming rig in my luggage. They aren't the most delicate with luggage at the airport. Any tips on packing it or possibly a build that's small enough for a carry on? Was considering a fractal node 202 but any other small form factor cases that will be able to carry on?

Second. Are their monitors available or do I have to bring my own? Pretty much the same as before I am afraid to pack it. Or any suggestions on how to pack it preferably in a carry on.

Third. Any hotel suggestions and fun things to do in Canada? Plan to be there a day or two before and after LTX.

I can't help with the first two questions, but I can help with the last.

Honestly, it depends on your interests. If you want to get out and see the outdoors- Grouse Mountain (which is a free direct bus ride from the same place LTX is at) is a safe option if you're not familiar to the area. I don't generally recommend hiking in the mountains outside of Vancouver if you're not with or from this part of the world for a bunch of reasons.

Don't want to get that far out of the city? Walk the Seawall- it's a 10km or 6ish mile walk around Stanley Park- There's the Vancouver Aquarium which is one of the better tourist traps in the city and located in the park. The other is Science World - which is located three Skytrain stops away from the Convention Centre. 

Theatre? https://bardonthebeach.org/ is some of the best in the city located about 20 minutes by public bus(and I think our public bike share actually goes that far now) from the convention site and is worth every penny. 

Honestly, Vancouver's big claim to fame is its beautiful weather in the summer and beautiful scenery. Spend an evening at the English Bay Beach watching the sunset around 9:30-10ish. 

Hope this helps! 

That actually sounds pretty good thanks. If I go hiking it will be on a easy trail if any. 

You mentioned public transit a few times. Is it any good in Vancouver? It really sucks in st.louis so I was thinking about renting a car.

1 hour ago, orkid1989 said:

That actually sounds pretty good thanks. If I go hiking it will be on a easy trail if any. 

You mentioned public transit a few times. Is it any good in Vancouver? It really sucks in st.louis so I was thinking about renting a car.

Vancouver has one of the best transit systems in Canada. Is it the best? Probably not. But it's pretty decent.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well that's awesome! I'll save my money. And thinking about building a small form factor build to bring to LTX in my carry on. Still cheaper then a basic laptop

On 1/20/2019 at 6:34 AM, makr said:

I don't generally recommend hiking in the mountains outside of Vancouver if you're not with or from this part of the world for a bunch of reasons.

I wouldn't recommend hiking in the mountains alone, either.

7 minutes ago, orkid1989 said:

Well that's awesome! I'll save my money. And thinking about building a small form factor build to bring to LTX in my carry on. Still cheaper then a basic laptop

If a Node 202 will fit your carry on, then go for it!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't recommend hiking in the mountains alone, either.

If a Node 202 will fit your carry on, then go for it!

I am more leaning towards the Louqe Ghost instead. Seems more solid and expandable. Still trying to figure out the monitor situation though. No way it will fit in my carry on and my luck the airport will destroy it and I will be SOL :(

The reason I don't recommend trails to tourists(hiking alone or not)- and I know the locals will understand- is that during the summer, it's about once or sometimes twice a week(sometimes a day) our local Search and Rescue teams have to be called out to find the missing hiker.  Despite our trails being super accessible and near residential areas, anyone can get lost really easily. 

As for transit- it's one of the best systems in North America and generally reliable enough to live an hour away from your work and meet your connections and the like. Which makes hotel/airbnbs far cheaper. The downside is that service ends relatively early- around 1am in most case. 

Make sure you check your phone plan, I use Consumer Cellular which doesn't have coverage there. I planned ahead last year and already had is displayed on Google Maps, but it disappeared just before I got to Vancouver.

Canadians are really nice though, stopped people on the sidewalk a couple of times which worked out well, and me on my Harley in full leathers.

13 minutes ago, Shorttimer said:

Make sure you check your phone plan, I use Consumer Cellular which doesn't have coverage there. I planned ahead last year and already had is displayed on Google Maps, but it disappeared just before I got to Vancouver.

Canadians are really nice though, stopped people on the sidewalk a couple of times which worked out well, and me on my Harley in full leathers.

One easy solution is to pick up a prepaid SIM card. Just make sure that your phone is unlocked and works on the frequency of whatever carrier you want to grab a SIM card from. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I recommend renting a bike and riding around Lion’s Gate Bridge. It’s a pretty fun place and if you want to do a long bike ride, start at Spokes Bycicle Rentals and get a bike from there.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:23 PM, iphoneupdate said:

I recommend renting a bike and riding around Lion’s Gate Bridge. It’s a pretty fun place and if you want to do a long bike ride, start at Spokes Bycicle Rentals and get a bike from there.

That's a awesome idea. Plus I can count it as my daily workout lol

On 1/27/2019 at 2:50 PM, dalekphalm said:

One easy solution is to pick up a prepaid SIM card. Just make sure that your phone is unlocked and works on the frequency of whatever carrier you want to grab a SIM card from. 

I'll have to check into that. I have at&t service and my phone is a galaxy S8 active. I guess if it wont work I can just buy a prepaid phone for the time that I am up there.

1 hour ago, orkid1989 said:

That's a awesome idea. Plus I can count it as my daily workout lol

I'll have to check into that. I have at&t service and my phone is a galaxy S8 active. I guess if it wont work I can just buy a prepaid phone for the time that I am up there.

Yep buying a cheap pre-paid flip-phone would be a decent option. Then, just keep the phone as a "Whenever I travel to Canada" phone and stuff it on a shelf.

You could also buy a roaming package from AT&T - you might be able to get a good deal for the few days you'll be here. That's the first place I would start.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:15 AM, dalekphalm said:

Yep buying a cheap pre-paid flip-phone would be a decent option. Then, just keep the phone as a "Whenever I travel to Canada" phone and stuff it on a shelf.

You could also buy a roaming package from AT&T - you might be able to get a good deal for the few days you'll be here. That's the first place I would start.

Checked it out and I can buy the at&t package so I should be all good. Really excited to go on a bike ride around Vancouver. 

On 2/6/2019 at 12:25 PM, orkid1989 said:

Checked it out and I can buy the at&t package so I should be all good. Really excited to go on a bike ride around Vancouver. 

pub hopping in Gas Town is a good night time activity as well as a visit to Granville Island for the brewery there. These are good suggestions assuming you enjoy beer ;) 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

On 2/6/2019 at 12:25 PM, orkid1989 said:

Vancouver has separated (concrete barriers, dedicated path or other) all around the city, especially around Downtown.

Get a Compass card for the train, don't just buy single tickets. Gets you a discount and you can transfer from buses to trains without paying a second fare. You can keep it as a $6 souvenir or you can get a refund in Downtown.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:25 PM, orkid1989 said:

Hey I live just outside St. Louis and I'll be at LTX want to be travel buddies?