Ants colonized my hard drive, would the platter still be ok?

lucagrabacr

I'm not sure how this happened, I totally never ate ontop of my PC but there are ants inside my hard drive for some reason.

https://gyazo.com/18abd4732d408d7b6a8c8021f8d7bde4

So earlier today 2 of my drives broke, I thought it was caused by a cleaner guy who was cleaning my room yesterday, and that he tried to tilt the PC to clean the floor underneath and put it back too hard or something. I'm not ruling that possibility out, but now that I see the ants I'm hoping it's the ants and not the cleaner guy (I'm assuming the ants just ate out the cabling and caused mechanical failure, and that the platter is still ok, compared to impact damage by the cleaner guy which might damage the platter)

What do you guys think?

The moment any contaminant enter the internals, which looks like happened there, those contaminants scratch and damage the platters destroying everything.

3 minutes ago, Zagna said:

The moment any contaminant enter the internals, which looks like happened there, those contaminants scratch and damage the platters destroying everything.

Damn :/ is it possible that they didn't get to the platter and just the outer casing which contains the other things?

How's that even possible? lol

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

How's that even possible? lol

I was surprised myself lol, it's a hard drive that's been running in my PC for a few months now, but the ants weren't there when I moved it to a new case about a month ago.

The ants are leaving the hard drive in drove now that I disconnected it, probably because the temperature dropped after I disconnected it 

IMG_20190119_1853362.jpg.fe02a99736baaf38074ae513e1ff7baa.jpg

... what the hell? well if you want any data back its got to go off to someone like drivesavers but thats going to cost you. hopefully nothing critical was on there

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yoooo how even ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Yeah - there's no way that it'll be alright. Hell, even a bit of dust getting in can destroy it... much less ants.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

2 hours ago, lucagrabacr said:

Damn :/ is it possible that they didn't get to the platter and just the outer casing which contains the other things?

Behind that hole is a tiny high grade air filter so that the internals can normalize air pressure. Ants could easily just chew through it since it's very small.

As soon as that filter is punctured, all the internals are contaminated, platters, read/write heads, everything.

Update: there's almost no ant left in / on the hard drive from what I can see, it seems like they have sent / hatched male / female winged ants to breed and find a new nest (from what I watched in an ant documentary, that's what they do)

The winged ants can be seen hanging around on my 2nd monitor here

IMG_20190120_171925.jpg.25d853f90c4f4f03fbf8d86009015b01.jpg

I still can't go to a hard drive repair center / service because it's sunday, but I've prepared my hard drives to be brought there