Your Tech Pet Peeves

xrex64

1.6 volts is pretty extreme... Most people aren't extreme overclockers... Most don't even have the cooling solution to deal with that... I'm pretty sure you need at least a custom loop for that kinda vcore... Why is that a pet peeve? Is there an angle you're coming at this from that I'm not seeing?

if they have an xtreme series cpu then you should be overclocking it to the max because otherwise you have basically wasted £300 just to say you have one which  i find annoying. they could have just have got a k series cpu you see.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

if they have an xtreme series cpu then you should be overclocking it to the max because otherwise you have basically wasted £300 just to say you have one which  i find annoying. they could have just have got a k series cpu you see.

oh, i didnt realise you meants extreme series, i thought you were using x as a variable, as in any cpu.  but still, 1.6 volts is a lot.  maybe they want their super expensive cpu with extra cache over the k parts to last a long time... or maybe they dont wanna risk frying their expensive cpu

i guess its a pet peeve, so it doenst have to make sense to everyone, but i still dont see anything wrong with having an x series cpu running at under 1.6 volts. 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

oh, i didnt realise you meants extreme series, i thought you were using x as a variable, as in any cpu.  but still, 1.6 volts is a lot.  maybe they want their super expensive cpu with extra cache over the k parts to last a long time... or maybe they dont wanna risk frying their expensive cpu

i guess its a pet peeve, so it doenst have to make sense to everyone, but i still dont see anything wrong with having an x series cpu running at under 1.6 volts. 

its fine if they don't have it at 1.6v 24/7 because it would obviously degrade very quickly, but who doesn't like doing a super pi run at 5.4ghz every once in a while  :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

When people have more bookmarks than the bookmark bar has space for

Desktop icons and stuff not organized in any logical way

Macs

People who use Consoles

People who insist that wireless is always better than wired

This thread, what about the peoiple who dont know what a tech pet peev is?

do you know how vast the world is and how the internet covers it?

OP either doesnt care about those or ignored what I consider the obvious.

it would of saved 10 seconds to everyone having to look it up on internet.

It would of took you 5 seconds to wirte it down.

@fail op

My tech peeves: when you cant clearly manage software. TONS OF EXAMPLES.

Have every software register its shit on windows and having to put it in one place(unless you customise or allow it to do elseway), instead of cluttering your entire computer.

things such as numbered numberrs folders.

instead of having firefox or chrome or Explorer cache organised in dedicated folders.

It could be better.

how does pet and tech make sense togather? peeves about technology of pets? what is this urban word making epic fail?!

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

This thread, what about the peoiple who dont know what a tech pet peev is?

do you know how vast the world is and how the internet covers it?

OP either doesnt care about those or ignored what I consider the obvious.

it would of saved 10 seconds to everyone having to look it up on internet.

It would of took you 5 seconds to wirte it down.

@fail op

My tech peeves: when you cant clearly manage software. TONS OF EXAMPLES.

Have every software register its shit on windows and having to put it in one place(unless you customise or allow it to do elseway), instead of cluttering your entire computer.

things such as numbered numberrs folders.

instead of having firefox or chrome or Explorer cache organised in dedicated folders.

It could be better.

how does pet and tech make sense togather? peeves about technology of pets? what is this urban word making epic fail?!

I didn't realize you couldn't read my list and figure out what they were for yourself. Next time I talk to you I'll give you a definition of each word. 

P.S. I would have gladly put a definition if you asked, but I guess I just wont. Maybe if someone else asks me nicely. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

I didn't realize you couldn't read my list and figure out what they were for yourself. Next time I talk to you I'll give you a definition of each word. 

P.S. I would have gladly put a definition if you asked, but I guess I just wont. Maybe if someone else asks me nicely. 

Don't worry, you know its useless as of now.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

No need to be a jerk.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's not worth starting an argument on a topic that is meant for fun and enjoyment...

† TTCF Member †

non-standard keyboard layouts irritate the sh*t out of me. Case in point: Lenovo in their infinite wisdom decided to switch the Fn and Ctrl keys on the thinkpad X220t.. After 3 years of owning this computer I stlil can't perform ctrl hotkeys reliably

lenovo_thinkpad_x220t_3.jpg

non-standard keyboard layouts irritate the sh*t out of me. Case in point: Lenovo in their infinite wisdom decided to switch the Fn and Ctrl keys on the thinkpad X220t.. After 3 years of owning this computer I stlil can't perform ctrl hotkeys reliably

i think gateway did the same and that is the reason i use shift as duck and ctrl as walk to this day. All it really did was mess up my game key bindings i had no other problem then that lol 

Barebones options menus in PC games. To the point where some don't even have individual sliders for audio control. That makes me so ANGRY! D:

...well, at least pretty darn annoyed!

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Fanboyism for one product line, or against it. Apple fanboys are one thing, but Microsoft fanboys are on a whole new level it's bloody ridiculous. It's like they think they're a master race.

Couple nights ago I was at a dance with some people from the church. I came on stage to see the DJ. They were a couple of adults in their young 20's. When I look at the laptop I saw their iTunes credentials clearly labeled on the laptop. *Cringed*

No I didn't steal the account. Just using the account for the music that's already on the account.

Fanboyism for one product line, or against it. Apple fanboys are one thing, but Microsoft fanboys are on a whole new level it's bloody ridiculous. It's like they think they're a master race.

Solidified by their Expos... like the one for PowerShell where one of the main developers of powershell refered to people working with zsh, bash and open source software as nothing more than students... applause and laughter all around. I used to work with this old guy who insisted we use C# for setting up a web-server, with MVC and all. We had a teensy budget and none of us were experienced with C# other than him. But he managed to convince the project leader and 5 months down the line we lose our bonuses because we eventually were forced to employ middleware instead of building it from scratch... so lets add that to the list:

• People who will fuck up a project due to bad manegerial skills regarding programming...

Thoroughness rating
#########

Solidified by their Expos... like the one for PowerShell where one of the main developers of powershell refered to people working with zsh, bash and open source software as nothing more than students... applause and laughter all around. I used to work with this old guy who insisted we use C# for setting up a web-server, with MVC and all. We had a teensy budget and none of us were experienced with C# other than him. But he managed to convince the project leader and 5 months down the line we lose our bonuses because we eventually were forced to employ middleware instead of building it from scratch... so lets add that to the list:

• People who will fuck up a project due to bad manegerial skills regarding programming...

Must of been a cringing moment when you try to tell him you can manage servers with Windows server and powershell

Must of been a cringing moment when you try to tell him you can manage servers with Windows server and powershell

It was, actually. A faceoff between the rest of us, that jerk and our project leader, whereby they challanged our prowess & dignity as software developers and computer techies. We went "Sure! We can use PowerShell, I mean we're used to that sort of CLI interface already" (I actually prefer powershell on windows rather than using cmd) and "we can manage with Windows servers, ASP, all dat". I can still feel the taste of my own foot in my mouth as I think of the first three weeks of optimism fading in to rational scepticism regarding productivity vs time vs budget. It was "creeping to the cross" time when most of us started googling for middleware to finish the job...

Thoroughness rating
#########

And by the way, it seems you didn't read it fully because I said "Here are some of my pet peeves or or things that bug me.

† TTCF Member †

I just had one a moment ago.

# <- This thing is called "Hash." Its not fucking hashtag.

Or a pound sign. 

† TTCF Member †