Your Tech Pet Peeves

xrex64

I feel that I should know what hoovered means... but I don't 

vacuum cleaner ,shop vac ect  

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

it must be the British equivalent of Vacuum'd.

yea it is 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

When people don't know the difference between 3g and wifi on their phones....

And when people watch HD videos over 3g/4g...

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

I have some tech pet peeves or things that bug me. Here are some of mine:

• Cluttered desktops
  • Cluttered desk tops (difference)
  • Downloading things into C:\
  • Distorted pictures
  • More than 30 tabs open
  • When people play games in a window if not needed

What are some of yours?

You'd hate me then.

It's mainly fanboyism for me. (seriously, the i3 is almost never a better choice than the 6300 for gaming. same as the 650Ti Boost vs the 7850.)

When people don't know the difference between 3g and wifi on their phones....

My mom always used to say that the 3G at the house wasn't working, only the wire. Thankfully I made her learn the difference.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

SATA cables that are 1. CM. Too. Short.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1) The whole AMD vs Intel vs Nvidia vs COD vs Battlefield vs PC vs Console vs Android vs iOS vs Windows Phone nonsense. This needs to stop. It's fine if it's just a reasonable conversation/debate but we all know that it never ends up like that.

2) Building a completely unnecessary SLI/Crossfire system when they'd be better off with a single, more powerful GPU

3) People always seem to assume they need extra case fans when if they start overclocking, when in most cases (get it?) they would be fine (note: this is something I have experienced with every single build I've done for someone else. I don't know why.)

4) Coloured cables. I don't mean nicely sleeved, colour co-ordinated ones, I mean the obnoxious yellow mess at the end of a 24pin cable. I understand that it makes manufacturing easier, but it really does look bad

5) People using there desktop to store their files and leaving it with 40+ icons. There are so many reasons to avoid doing this.

6) It's a mac. It doesn't get viruses... Cringe

7) It's so fast! It has a quad core processor/3GHz/8GB RAM!... Mmm hmm...

8) Taking pictures on a tablet. OK, occasionally it's fine when you're scanning a document quickly, but otherwise? No.

9) People/Companies/Organisations being obnoxious. Yes, you, EA, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, NSA...

10) Overpricing (generally based on region). Living in the UK I experience some of this, but I really feel sorry for anyone who lives anywhere worse affected by unfair pricing.

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

Today I saw something that I think is just stupid and a huge nonsense for me. I was at a electronics shop and when I walk by the repair booth I notice a sign, saying: "App/Program Installation", I assumed they'd do it for free but boy was I wrong, they had 4 plans, 2 for Android/iOS/WP apps and 2 for Windows/Mac programs (no Linux -.-). You need to pay 2,99€ for three apps 2.99 freaking euros for 3 apps? I asked if it was free if the apps were free and they said: "No, you've got to pay.". <sarcasm> It makes all perfect sense to do that </sarcasm>. The  other plans were:

• 9,99€ for 9 apps (WP/iOS/Android)
  • 2,99€ for 2 programs
  • 9.99€ for 9 programs

So if someone needs to install Chrome, Avast and idk Google Earth they need to pay 3€ (-.-)

I thought nobody would fall for that but worst thing is I saw somebody do it. I pity that person.

i'm a potato

Would people finding out my password count?

I lost my phone three months ago. I wasn't able to find it anywhere, but yesterday my parents' got a call from the bus company that does the pick up and drop off service for our schools. I had a password on it so people couldn't learn my family and friends' phone number's, and the bus company found it out. They could have just left the phone with my bus driver and when every person was on, and asked us who's phone it was. I realize that there could be a lying problem, but the password could have proven who the owner was.

Other than that:

When people start fanboying, especially when people call the Xbox One, "a joke". 

When people look over my shoulder while playing video games, or while I'm using it during school.

That video games cause people to be violent.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Apple.

Apples products are not bad they are just over rated and overpriced. But they do have beautiful build quality and OS.

Using Tapatalk

One of my friends at school says consoles are better, his only argument? Halo. I says something about PC's and all he says is Halo.

The only decent halo game is on pc anyway...

The only decent halo game is on pc anyway...

wrong, the best one is on pc, but they are all amazing games

Today I saw something that I think is just stupid and a huge nonsense for me. I was at a electronics shop and when I walk by the repair booth I notice a sign, saying: "App/Program Installation", I assumed they'd do it for free but boy was I wrong, they had 4 plans, 2 for Android/iOS/WP apps and 2 for Windows/Mac programs (no Linux -.-). You need to pay 2,99€ for three apps 2.99 freaking euros for 3 apps? I asked if it was free if the apps were free and they said: "No, you've got to pay.". <sarcasm> It makes all perfect sense to do that </sarcasm>. The  other plans were:

• 9,99€ for 9 apps (WP/iOS/Android)
  • 2,99€ for 2 programs
  • 9.99€ for 9 programs

So if someone needs to install Chrome, Avast and idk Google Earth they need to pay 3€ (-.-)

I thought nobody would fall for that but worst thing is I saw somebody do it. I pity that person.

Thats terrible.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Norton

yes, i'll be in game and norton will pop up saying "Hmmmm...  This application seems to be using a lot of CPU usage, would you care to stop it?"

PC:  Asus K53E    Camera:   Nikon D3100

Thats terrible.

It's sad, very sad.  :(

i'm a potato

usb 3.0 header cable. Seriously the thing just sucks to run.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

yes, i'll be in game and norton will pop up saying "Hmmmm...  This application seems to be using a lot of CPU usage, would you care to stop it?"

Norton needs a "Shut up no one loves you" button. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

People wo buy x cpu's and never get it over 1.6v.

People who buy a rampage extreme and don't know how to use there bios properly.

People who use aio coolers in 900ds

Nvidia limiting all the things.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

We have so many pet peeves that we share so I'll omit those.

1. People who don't care about open standards
  2. Companies that develop AGAINST open standards (I'm lookin' at you, Microsoft...!)
  3. Companies that distort open standards (I'm lookin' at you, Oracle... and again; Microsoft...!)

4. Microsoft... and Apple. Fine with Google though, despite their cases of flumery with G+, YouTube and all that

And last, but definitely not least...
  5. Certain people who "don't know how their machines got infected/dysfunctional/broken" (you know what you did, you LIAR)

Thoroughness rating
#########

People wo buy x cpu's and never get it over 1.6v.

People who buy a rampage extreme and don't know how to use there bios properly.

People who use aio coolers in 900ds

Nvidia limiting all the things.

1.6 volts is pretty extreme... Most people aren't extreme overclockers... Most don't even have the cooling solution to deal with that... I'm pretty sure you need at least a custom loop for that kinda vcore... Why is that a pet peeve? Is there an angle you're coming at this from that I'm not seeing?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's