Your Tech Pet Peeves

xrex64

> Cheap PSUs in a very expensive gaming rigs.

> People judging tech without actually using it (95% of Mac haters have never touched a Mac).

> People insulting people over what they use.

> General Tech Ignorance.

> Tech companies ignoring the consumer.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

People saying playing games are a waste of time, while they watch tv half the time.

As someone who used to game for hours on end I'm starting to regret spending all that time doing so.

• 3 weeks later...

Tearing

V-sync

Dealing with cable management

Trying to put a 3.5" drive in the Prodigy M

Try cable management in the smallest itx case you can think of

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

When people call the Xbox One and the PS4 next-gen. Oh and Macs. And Intel Integrated Graphics.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

When people don't organize their shit--when their download folder builds up and becomes a shitstorm and when you can't fucking find anything, because windows doesn't actually have a tiered folder system.... 

When desktops are a mess. 

When people don't use the max resolution of their monitor. 

When keyboards/mice are just covered in crap. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

When people don't organize their shit--when their download folder builds up and becomes a shitstorm and when you can't fucking find anything, because windows doesn't actually have a tiered folder system.... 

*snip*

Thats the point of the downloads folder, your downloads go there. Then you either move it to where it should be or what I do. That is leave everything in there and use, or file away whats needed. Then once it becomes too full or I redo my PC I put it on my server and name it in case I need a old installer or something. Finding stuff you just downloaded is easy, just list by date modified.

What are you talking about when you say windows doesnt have a tired folder system? Im pretty sure it does, theyre called sub-folders.

"You PC nerds will never be able to compete with the raw power of the next-gen consoles."

Who actually said that? I've NEVER heard anyone say something like this. Never even read anything like it in the 15+ years that I've been visiting various gaming forums. Seems like one of those urban legends to me.

In fact, to me it seems as if console gamers in general are much more friendly towards the PC gaming scene and not as hostile as many PC guys seem to be towards those who chose to play their games on consoles mainly. Personal experience, which is why I really don't get the hate. I mean ... 15+ years and I remember the days when Doom3 launched on PC and everyone was excited about it. Including myself.

When people call the Xbox One and the PS4 next-gen.

This. But I don't agree with the rest you said.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

• Dust, I can't stand it (where I live literally in a week or two with a high usage area there will be a layer of dust, even on the keys that I don't use regularly on my keyboard). 
Non-modular PSUs, 1st power supply I bought wasn't modular at all and I had to sick a hard drive cage so that the bottom front case fan could get decent airflow into the case. Non-black/white/red PCBs. No monitor height or swivel adjustment.Slow boot times.Programs that don't respond. People who have over 9000 Chrome extensions.Mice that don't track properly. Keyboards that are without wrist rests. Cases without decent dust filters, more than one case fan, ample cable management, rubber grommets, sleeved I/O cables and a decent amount of space under the PSU intake. People who deny the PC Master Race. When people call the current-gen consoles "next-gen consoles". 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Lack of linux games available on Steam

People that think that Apple and Linux are the same thing

Crapple iPoo's

Intel forcefeeding iGPU in unlocked processors

Enermax not having AIO 280mm cooler

Cooler Master not offering a better case than HAF XM for 140mm fans (and that's coming from a HAF 932 Advanced)

NZXT thinking that H630 and H440 are the best options for quiet cases (some of us love 140mm fans AND quiet)

Gelid not offering 140mm Wing in UV green

Not knowing what power supplies will be required for Skylake

Not knowing with certainty what Nvidia card will be the first to use ARM cores

Waiting for Intel and Nvidia release dates...

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

1. Towers or workstations sitting on the floors, which translates into "My PC is slow" after 3 months due to dust buildup.

2. Mismatched monitors for dual-display setup (IPS and TN, or LED and LCD side by side).

3. Ignorant roughnecks coming back with BlackBerry battery complaints. Main cause; GPS tracking in the field eats up the battery.

4. Seeing consumer grade routers sitting in server rooms. Yes, I use to deal with really smart ENGINEERS that would use them... hint hint...

5. IT Manager that can't correlate how both hardware and software need to be stable for end users. (I was good with the hardware, he was a hack for a programmer...)

6. As others have pointed out. Intel's constant need to shaft the user with a socket change every few years.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Black | Corsair TX750v2 | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz @ 1.27V | Corsair H105 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 PC3-12800 | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 | Axiom Signature III 240GB SSD | WDC 1TB Blue | Hitachi 750GB

I use a 'moron filter' on tech forums. If I don't respond to your post, considered yourself filtered out.

Windows language stuff.

It can't remember what language it is and the desktop folder is named desktop in a Finnish windows. And I always forget that when I manually enter the path, and now I have two folder named desktop(in two different languages)

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

What are you talking about when you say windows doesnt have a tired folder system? Im pretty sure it does, theyre called sub-folders.

sarcasm....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1) The constant need to recommend Noctua and the R4. I'm sure the R4 is a good case but it is only ATX. And Noctua? sure they may be good radiator fans but for an all black build BeQuiet would suffice. (don't get me started on the 'industrial' fans, they are way too expensive for a fan).

2) People who think SLi still doesn't give any benefit. This isn't 2008. 

3) Intel throwing out socket changes every god damn year and saying we got a 20% improvement. Piss off Intel, i don't care.

4) No crazy motherboards. My motherboard has 32 phases, holy balls that's a lot. That doesn't happen with Z87/97 boards for some weird reason.

5) The need to say that AMD run hot, Actually i do wish to stay warm for the winter. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1. Towers or workstations sitting on the floors, which translates into "My PC is slow" after 3 months due to dust buildup.

2. Mismatched monitors for dual-display setup (IPS and TN, or LED and LCD side by side).

3. Ignorant roughnecks coming back with BlackBerry battery complaints. Main cause; GPS tracking in the field eats up the battery.

4. Seeing consumer grade routers sitting in server rooms. Yes, I use to deal with really smart ENGINEERS that would use them... hint hint...

5. IT Manager that can't correlate how both hardware and software need to be stable for end users. (I was good with the hardware, he was a hack for a programmer...)

6. As others have pointed out. Intel's constant need to shaft the user with a socket change every few years.

2. I have to agree with this, I want an ips monitor for watching movies, editing photos, and general work. At the same time I want a 1440hz tn panel, sadly almost all companies that make monitors can't use the same bodies for their monitors but with different panels. all of asus' gaming monitors have glossy plastic bezels while their pro art monitors have thing matte black bezels. sigh...

When people rationalize not upgrading by saying they'll wait for the next improvement.

odds are when that improvement comes out another is right around the corner. You'll be waiting forever.

Actually, right now is a terrible time to upgrade considering devils canyon and maxwell are coming this fall.

Cases with no cable management holes. 

People using PS/2 keyboards and mice. It's outdated by so much.

Low-end GPUs with crazy amounts of VRAM to persuade n00bs to buy them.

actually, ps/2 keyboards and mice have better latency (they aren't polled at a certain amount of times per second) and no ghosting or nkey rollover issues.

Actually, right now is a terrible time to upgrade considering devils canyon and maxwell are coming this fall.

actually, ps/2 keyboards and mice have better latency (they aren't polled at a certain amount of times per second) and no ghosting or nkey rollover issues.

keyboards yes, mice no. That is unless you have a opto-mechanical ball mouse or trackball.

People using PS/2 keyboards and mice. It's outdated by so much.

Adding to what others have said, PS/2 keyboard input is superior, hence why many motherboards still have a combo PS/2 port. IIRC USB keyboards require polling, a keyboard on PS/2 doesn't require that and is hardware interrupt based keyboard input.

at this point I've seen it all and expect so little of most people that not much bothers me anymore, the only thing that can get me worked up is when someone posts something retarded and erroneous, believing they're correct and giving useful information.

Error: 410

1) The constant need to recommend Noctua and the R4. I'm sure the R4 is a good case but it is only ATX. And Noctua? sure they may be good radiator fans but for an all black build BeQuiet would suffice. (don't get me started on the 'industrial' fans, they are way too expensive for a fan).

Are BeQuiet fans comparable to Akasa Apache as far as airflow and silence? Noctua were supposed to do  black fans but I'm not sure if they have yet...

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

Peasants that bash pc's when the only game they have ever played on one was pinball when they were 4 years old on some crappy windows 98 machine

Adding to what others have said, PS/2 keyboard input is superior, hence why many motherboards still have a combo PS/2 port. IIRC USB keyboards require polling, a keyboard on PS/2 doesn't require that and is hardware interrupt based keyboard input.

at this point I've seen it all and expect so little of most people that not much bothers me anymore, the only thing that can get me worked up is when someone posts something retarded and erroneous, believing they're correct and giving useful information.

Its superior in one way, well maybe two but is looses out on bunches of other things. PS/2 combo post is left on there for compatibility and debugging since its serial. Also if you see one of those you also very lily have a serial port or at least a header for one.

I do both of these things. My machine is on the ground (lifted up for air flow, but still on near the carpet). It won't fit on my desk in it's current setup and it's quite a bit more quieter.

For the monitors, I'd rather have screens that are good for what they're needed for (I don't need a full 2560 by 1440 or even 1920 by 1080 for skype and clip bins)

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

when people post a subjective opinion/assumption as if it is an industry wide fact.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

when people post a subjective opinion/assumption as if it is an industry wide fact.  

I accidentally do that sometimes. I try hard not to.

Peasants that bash pc's when the only game they have ever played on one was pinball when they were 4 years old on some crappy windows 98 machine

Funny you say this. My friend was literally just saying how even though console games are more expensive, they are better. This supports exactly what you say, because they only know about the bad or little games on the PC. 

do this sometimes, but I try not to. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

I thought some people in this thread might like this.

gallery_69309_1552_1225509.jpg

All hail to the desktop icons!

I thought some people in this thread might like this.

All hail to the desktop icons!

Do you care for your legs?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III