How much is my used laptop worth

Hi guys,

I've been trying to do a lot of research but I feel like the situation I'm in is an awkward middle ground. I've been trying to sell my Lenovo Flex 3 15" for the last few months but I don't really know of I'm marketing/selling it the way it should be. It was purchased at $1200 in 2014.

Specs- Core i7 5500U

8gb DDR3 RAM

1tb hdd

360° touchscreen

I swapped the HDD for an SSD while I used it but swapped the HDD back in once I built myself a PC. While the SSD was in it was totally usable and the battery life wasn't awful (3-4 hours). I kept it in good condition.

Is $400 too ambitious of an asking price on the local classifieds? I don't think it's at the point of being a salvage computer, even though it's going on 5 years old now. Should I be following some kind of rule of thumb for value?

Thanks and let me know if pictures are necessary.

9 minutes ago, Crazsped said:

Thanks and let me know if pictures are necessary.

In order to give you a fair price, we'd have to know what part of the world you live in.

As an aside, hit up eBay, look at the completed listings section, and find your laptop, you'll get a general idea of how much they are going for.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

400 sound even a tad low. asking 450-500 wouldnt be a stretch looking at listings in my area.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

In order to give you a fair price, we'd have to know what part of the world you live in.

As an aside, hit up eBay, look at the completed listings section, and find your laptop, you'll get a general idea of how much they are going for.

I'm in Canada. Should I be doing an apples to apples comparison (same laptop) or looking for one with same specs and touchscreen etc.

Just now, Crazsped said:

I'm in Canada. Should I be doing an apples to apples comparison (same laptop) or looking for one with same specs and touchscreen etc.

Apples to apples.

Also, Canada...so 400$ Canadian is what? 1.50$ real USA money?

I kid, I kid...

Where are you trying to sell the system? This can affect the price as well. If there is much supply and little demand, then the price will drop. Around here, I use CraigsList for real-world prices and things are dirt cheap because there is a ton of listings and it never moves, so people keep dropping the prices until they become too good to pass up, typically meaning the systems drop to half of their original asking price, or basically you're giving it away...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Apples to apples.

Also, Canada...so 400$ Canadian is what? 1.50$ real USA money?

I kid, I kid...

Where are you trying to sell the system? This can affect the price as well. If there is much supply and little demand, then the price will drop. Around here, I use CraigsList for real-world prices and things are dirt cheap because there is a ton of listings and it never moves, so people keep dropping the prices until they become too good to pass up, typically meaning the systems drop to half of their original asking price, or basically you're giving it away...

Basically it's been up on Kijiji for the past few months (a safer Canadian Craigslist I guess) and I threw it up on eBay but I don't want to risk selling to the states and getting scammed. Kijiji isn't totally flooded with ads but I'll be sure to check out Craigslist.

If it's been listed for months you answered your own question. Its listed too high.

Around here you would be lucky to get 100-150. You may get 200 if your lucky.