Why does SLI require a special motherboard? (don't guess)

JoostinOnline
Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,
1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Can you provide a source for that?

https://m.ign.com/articles/2004/11/11/nvidias-sli-certification-and-logo-program

That's from when it started, 14 years ago and here is their inquiry page:

https://www.nvidia.com/object/sli_certification_inquiry.html

It's a bit hard to find anything that isn't old af though because it's nothing new 

Question in the title. Given that it uses a bridge instead of PCIe lanes to communicate, it seems like the it wouldn't require anything special, or that it wound at least be more common than Crossfire support.

Edit: Please no more guesses.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

If I had to guess, it's the same reason Optane has to have it's own certified slot. "Optane ready" wouldn't really be that hard to enable, just like StoreMI. On the one hand, it's an artificial price barrier, but on the other, chances are you aren't buying two grapics cards if you can't afford an appropriate high end motherboard as well. On the plus side, I feel as though it's become a little easier to tell when SLI is available. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

if i had to guess it would be that you need at least two x16 slots that can run at x16 speed at the same time. not all boards can run all slots at full speed at the same time. 

EDIT: that's also becuase of the cpu lane limitations on most consumer chips. 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

If I had to guess, it's the same reason Optane has to have it's own certified slot. "Optane ready" wouldn't really be that hard to enable, just like StoreMI. On the one hand, it's an artificial price barrier, but on the other, chances are you aren't buying two grapics cards if you can't afford an appropriate high end motherboard as well. On the plus side, I feel as though it's become a little easier to tell when SLI is available. 

There's probably some kind of added tech, but I'd like to know what it is.

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

if i had to guess it would be that you need at least two x16 slots that can run at x16 speed at the same time. not all boards can run all slots at full speed at the same time. 

EDIT: that's also becuase of the cpu lane limitations on most consumer chips. 

SLI runs fine in 8x mode. A 16 lane CPU can do 2-way SLI, but not more. Support for higher configurations is dead now anyway.

1 minute ago, bindydad123 said:

Because Nvidia 

That's not really helpful.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

It requires nvidia certification to have sli enabled, crossfire works on any mobo with pci-e 3.0

Bandwidth. Before Turing, the SLI bridge gave 1 or 2 GB/s depending on version (from memory). PCIe 3.0 is roughly 1 GB/s per lane. So at the minimum 8x per card requirement, the bulk of available bandwidth is vis PCIe. There may be some other considerations, like only using GPU lanes and not chipset lanes which would immediately bottleneck you.

With Turing nvlink gives 50GB/s so way more than before. Maybe they still keep the PCIe requirement as it is still available bandwidth.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

needs NVIDIA certified, that costs a lot of money to do

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

needs NVIDIA certified, that costs a lot of money to do

INNM, SLI certification need 8x 8x minimum on both slot. CFX don't have that requirement, you can enable CFX on mainboard with 8x 4x which that 4x lane came from Northbridge and not directly from processor, that sometime produce crappy frametimes and best to avoid CFX-ing

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

https://m.ign.com/articles/2004/11/11/nvidias-sli-certification-and-logo-program

It's a bit hard to find anything that isn't old af though because it's nothing new 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This is why you look at the box when you buy the card and it should say SLI ready and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

20 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

So basically "nobody but NVIDIA and manufacturers know" XD