Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Computernaut

Typo In Category Label

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

The phones and tablets section has a typo in the little notation below the name. "Inbetween" is not a word, it is two, just like "a lot". Sorry but it annoys me every time I see it.

wrong.PNG


Spoiler

-The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train.

-Celibacy is not hereditary.

-If everything seems to be going well you obviously have no idea what's going on.

-Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

-A shortcut is the longest distance between two points.

-Everyone has a scheme for getting rich that will not work.

Spoiler

-Do things according to who you are, not who others are.

-You can't put a square peg in a round hole. If you're a square peg, make yourself a square hole.

-If somebody else will, why should you?

-If your life consists solely of doing the bidding of others, you have no life at all.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always hated that it was "a lot" and "in between" rather than "alot" and "inbetween" because the latter makes much more sense to me when reading it aloud. Fuck the grammer police, ima write it mah way! There's alot of text inbetween the covers of a book.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

There's alot of text inbetween the covers of a book.

Yes, there is. ;)


Spoiler

-The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train.

-Celibacy is not hereditary.

-If everything seems to be going well you obviously have no idea what's going on.

-Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

-A shortcut is the longest distance between two points.

-Everyone has a scheme for getting rich that will not work.

Spoiler

-Do things according to who you are, not who others are.

-You can't put a square peg in a round hole. If you're a square peg, make yourself a square hole.

-If somebody else will, why should you?

-If your life consists solely of doing the bidding of others, you have no life at all.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when I brought up the lack of an Oxford comma in the Programs, Apps, and Websites category...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I always hated that it was "a lot" and "in between" rather than "alot" and "inbetween" because the latter makes much more sense to me when reading it aloud. Fuck the grammer police, ima write it mah way! There's alot of text inbetween the covers of a book.

But it makes for a good way to remember
Remember, there's always a space in between In, and between.
Quit being lazy


~New~  ThinkPi project !  ~New~


new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fixed


I don't work for Floatplane Media, so any Floatplane comments that I make are my own and may be incorrect or in conflict with the official view.

 

For Floatplane support, please use the wizard linked in this topic

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

I think you mean broken (i kid)

 

What about the missing comma @Crunchy Dragon pointed out?

Oxford commas are, for phrases like "Programs, Apps and Websites", a stylistic choice, and my preference (as well as the preference of the person who set the title originally, though I can't remember if that was me) is not to use it there. That's not to say that it's fixed forever, but it isn't a bug and therefore isn't something that I want to change for no reason other than a couple of people who prefer it to be changed.


I don't work for Floatplane Media, so any Floatplane comments that I make are my own and may be incorrect or in conflict with the official view.

 

For Floatplane support, please use the wizard linked in this topic

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

Oxford commas are, for phrases like "Programs, Apps and Websites", a stylistic choice, and my preference (as well as the preference of the person who set the title originally, though I can't remember if that was me) is not to use it there. That's not to say that it's fixed forever, but it isn't a bug and therefore isn't something that I want to change for no reason other than a couple of people who prefer it to be changed.

Fair point. But I would think, in this case, "Apps" are separate from "Websites" and the comma would be used to make that separation. Otherwise they appear as though they're the same. At least to me anyway, my English is bad so I don't really know better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Fair point. But I would think, in this case, "Apps" are separate from "Websites" and the comma would be used to make that separation. Otherwise they appear as though they're the same. At least to me anyway, my English is bad so I don't really know better.

2 things.

1: get out of my shed please.

2: That was my thinking as well. Sometimes it makes sense not to use the comma because you might not have to differentiate, or they might be similar, but Apps and Websites aren't similar enough to warrant that kind of thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

2 things.

1: get out of my shed please.

2: That was my thinking as well. Sometimes it makes sense not to use the comma because you might not have to differentiate, or they might be similar, but Apps and Websites aren't similar enough to warrant that kind of thing.

You put me in here, how do you expect me to get out of these bonds?

See, my thoughts exactly. Ah well, we still know what it means :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 7:02 AM, TempestCatto said:

Fair point. But I would think, in this case, "Apps" are separate from "Websites" and the comma would be used to make that separation. Otherwise they appear as though they're the same. At least to me anyway, my English is bad so I don't really know better.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:34 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

That was my thinking as well. Sometimes it makes sense not to use the comma because you might not have to differentiate, or they might be similar, but Apps and Websites aren't similar enough to warrant that kind of thing.

eh, I only do the oxford comma when the verb-noun (etc) word pairs could contextually mean something else if read as one

(which is 99% of the time for me ,_,)

 

("Programs, Apps and Websites" gets a pass here from me though)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

What are you guys talking about? You don't put a comma after the penultimate noun unless you seriously have to, to avoid ambiguity...

 

image.png

In English class (American school system here) we were taught the sentence "The doctor suggested an aspirin, half a grapefruit and a cup of broth." is wrong. We were taught that instead it should be "The doctor suggested an aspirin, half a grapefruit, and a cup of broth." I'm not gonna sit here and say which one is right or wrong. But honestly? The second one just makes more sense to me when reading it. A grapefruit and a cup of broth are two totally different things, and therefore should be separated as such. In fact, I remember in school being instructed that "if you have three or more items in a list like that, they need to be separated by a comma" (in the words of my 8th grade English teacher). So I'll be honest, I'm confused as fuck right now. I certainly would not put it past the American school system to have incorrect teachings, it's just what they do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 4:32 AM, TempestCatto said:

In English class (American school system here) we were taught the sentence "The doctor suggested an aspirin, half a grapefruit and a cup of broth." is wrong. We were taught that instead it should be "The doctor suggested an aspirin, half a grapefruit, and a cup of broth." I'm not gonna sit here and say which one is right or wrong. But honestly? The second one just makes more sense to me when reading it. A grapefruit and a cup of broth are two totally different things, and therefore should be separated as such. In fact, I remember in school being instructed that "if you have three or more items in a list like that, they need to be separated by a comma" (in the words of my 8th grade English teacher). So I'll be honest, I'm confused as fuck right now. I certainly would not put it past the American school system to have incorrect teachings, it's just what they do.

I agree with the practise, but no one would really see "half a grapefruit and a cup of broth" as one thing ._.

Nevertheless I prefer to end the list with the oxford comma just because it reads nicer

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×