144hz problem

perttila

okay so i have acer predator GN246HL 1080p 144hz monitor, the monitor has dvi, hdmi 1,4 and vga but my sapphire vega 64 nitro+ has 2 hdmi and 2 display ports so no way of connecting dvi dual link. so my question is how can i obtain 144hz with those accesories on my gpu? would it be possible to buy dvi dual link to display port converter cable as example and that way get it to run 144hz at 1080p? i dont want to swap my gpu or monitor. or can i use more than 1 cable from monitor to pc and that way get it working?

2 minutes ago, perttila said:

would it be possible to buy dvi dual link to display port converter cable as example and that way get it to run 144hz at 1080p?

yes, this will supply appropriate bandwidth for your use case.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, perttila said:

i tried to plug hdmi 1,4 but it only is able to give 60hz @fasauceome

Likely due to the monitor not using a 1.4 port (or whatever other reason HDMI ports don't do high refresh rate on a monitor), which is very common for some reason.

DVI dual link from a Display port is likely the best route, As I highlighted above

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

do you think a regular convertor might be good result? or would it need to be special? and thank you so much for the help!

1 minute ago, perttila said:

do you think a regular convertor might be good result? or would it need to be special? and thank you so much for the help!

No need for an active converter because you're doing a digital to digital signal, you would only need an active adapter for analog like DVI-I or VGA.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Likely due to the monitor not using a 1.4 port (or whatever other reason HDMI ports don't do high refresh rate on a monitor), which is very common for some reason.

DVI dual link from a Display port is likely the best route, As I highlighted above

Yeah HDMI 1.4 does support 144hz that's what I used on my MPg27c for gaming until that update allowing Freesync w/Nvidia GPU's came out now I'm back to DP.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

Yeah HDMI 1.4 does support 144hz that's what I used on my MPg27c for gaming until that update allowing Freesync w/Nvidia GPU's came out now I'm back to DP.

Yup, HDMI to DVI is the same story

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, perttila said:

What is your monitor? I tried searching GN246HL and nothing came up

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

10 minutes ago, perttila said:

i tried to plug hdmi 1,4 but it only is able to give 60hz @fasauceome

Nvm found it, GN246HLB. Yeeup that is probably HDMI 1.2 which means you will 100% need a DVI to DP converter like @fasauceome said.

The Louvre

acer GN246HL, and i tried hdmi to hdmi but it is only able to give 60hz as i tried to change it from windows graphic settings @CharminUltraStrong

On 1/17/2019 at 4:15 PM, perttila said:

Yes, you will need an expensive active adapter. Please see here: 

On 1/17/2019 at 4:18 PM, CharminUltraStrong said:

This depends on the monitor. Every monitor has different limitations. This monitor is limited to 60 Hz over HDMI.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:18 PM, fasauceome said:

No need for an active converter because you're doing a digital to digital signal, you would only need an active adapter for analog like DVI-I or VGA.

You need an active adapter whenever passive adapters aren't supported, which has nothing to do with analog and digital. DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI requires an active adapter. Please see the link above.

18 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

This depends on the monitor. Every monitor has different limitations. This monitor is limited to 60 Hz over HDMI.

Not what I was talking about. I use DP now because G-Sync only works over DP, prior to this I used HDMI exclusively for 144hz gaming because MSI's BIOS don't scale properly over DP.

The Louvre

1 minute ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Not what I was talking about. I use DP now because G-Sync only works over DP, prior to this I used HDMI exclusively for 144hz gaming because MSI's BIOS don't scale properly over DP.

Right, I was just saying while HDMI 1.4 can support up to 144 Hz depending on implementation, it doesn't help in this case, because this particular monitor isn't one of the ones that does.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Right, I was just saying while HDMI 1.4 can support up to 144 Hz depending on implementation, it doesn't help in this case, because this particular monitor isn't one of the ones that does.

Yes, I'm aware. Was confused as to why I was quoted since it was previously mentioned, that's all.

The Louvre

58 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Yes, I'm aware. Was confused as to why I was quoted since it was previously mentioned, that's all.

You would be surprised how many people give incorrect advice even when it has already been addressed in earlier posts :P

so what you are saying is, its impossible to get 144hz by using a converter cable like the one i linked above? its just that active converters costs so much! the monitor has hdmi 1.4 could i even get 120hz by using hdmi 1.4 cable?

@Glenwing

43 minutes ago, perttila said:

so what you are saying is, its impossible to get 144hz by using a converter cable like the one i linked above? its just that active converters costs so much! the monitor has hdmi 1.4 could i even get 120hz by using hdmi 1.4 cable?

@Glenwing

HDMI is limited to 60 Hz on that monitor.

Yes, you need to use the expensive Dual-Link active adapters. Normal adapters will be limited to 60 Hz.

15 hours ago, Glenwing said:

HDMI is limited to 60 Hz on that monitor.

Yes, you need to use the expensive Dual-Link active adapters. Normal adapters will be limited to 60 Hz.

Hey, i saw your older post about AOC g2460PF , can i please get your Calibration setting for this monitor, I want to get this monitor soon today. 

thanks