Dell XPS dual boot

Has anyone seen a successful dual boot of Windows 10 and MacOS on a Dell xps laptop either 13 or 15 variety?

I have a dream of an ideal TRULY all in one setup.

This setup would be as follows:

A xps laptop that on startup up gives me the option to boot either into windows or macOS.

Has thunderbolt3 capability to run an external GPU.

When I am at home I can "dock up" with one cable and have the external GPU work with both windows and mac.

That way I can go mobile with the same system I run at home instead of having to have multiple setups. (currently MBP 15 and my custom desktop win10)

Specs would be:

at least i7 8750H

16gb ddr4 2666mhz

1TB Nvme SSD (70% for macOS partition, 30% for win10 partition)

2TB SSD for win10

eGPU enclosure with possibly vega 56 or 64 depending on price and compatiblity with with both OSes.

27" 1440p monitors for desktop use when docked to eGPU

Am I living in a fairy tale world with fairy tale dreams?

would head over to the tonymac86x forums and check there. Also from my hackintosh days, thunderbolt never ever works right for me. It is not hot swappable in MacOS like it is in windows (using a hackintosh)

@lieder1987 I was thinking about this after looking at a lot of hackintosh builds. Most of them lose a lot of features that you would get on just a plain mac.

Like airdrop, imessage, bluetooth, sometimes wifi, or ports don't work.

I'd say this is unicorn territory. Unless somehow you have a Windows PC using the same hardware as a macOS one, it's likely never going to be feature complete with the lack of hardware compatibility for parts that macOS doesn't support out of the box and Apple couldn't care less about supporting.

Though I wonder what you need macOS for that Windows nor Linux could provide. If it's trying to get into the Apple ecosystem without using Apple hardware, I'd say you'd have an easier time breaking into Fort Knox.

@Mira Yurizaki I use my mbp 15 primarily for web dev environment. Almost anything I do on that CAN be done on windows 10 or linux setup.

I just prefer when it comes to working in that territory with colleagues and other projects I find mac to be easier to setup and get going instead of win10 or linux.

HMMMMM

what if i got new mbp and just ran boot camp to get windows 10 to work on that?!?! wonder if eGPU support would be an issue here though.

Was hoping this would work on the dell xps lineup because it seems like a better setup. (more ports, better thermals, etc)

Just now, Grabow said:

I just prefer when it comes to working in that territory with colleagues and other projects I find mac to be easier to setup and get going instead of win10 or linux.

Depending on what part of web development you're working on and what tools you need, you can make setting things up easier for one OS or the other. Like for my project I'm using Linux as a development environment. Since I have this habit of blowing away the OS and restarting, I made a shell script that sets everything up for me so all I have to do once I have the OS installed and configured is run the script and I have my dev environment.

Just now, Grabow said:

what if i got new mbp and just ran boot camp to get windows 10 to work on that?!?! wonder if eGPU support would be an issue here though.

If you absolutely cannot live without macOS for whatever it is you do, then I would argue that getting Apple hardware is the best way to avoid having an indefinite project. And if you need eGPU functionality, then you can do that on Windows (https://www.imore.com/use-your-egpu-under-bootcamp-macbook-pro-and-mojave)

I need to do some thinking on this. You have raised very good points and that article makes me rethink my wants.