CPU VS Incompatible Motherboard

So I bought a used computer recently on the cheap, and my intention is to utilize some elements and replace others. I have an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G that I plan to stick in it. 

This computer currently has an ASUS A88XM-E motherboard, which doesn't support my CPU, but it does already have decent DDR3 RAM installed.

So what happens if I try to run the Ryzen 3 on the A88XM-E? Because the idea of saving on a motherboard and all new RAM (since a supported board will need DDR4) puts the budget PC into a whole new budget ballpark. That's at least $120 to play around with on other elements. 

Is this a fool's errand? Will I fry anything trying it?

You will bend the pins on the 2200G. So you'll have to straighten them out (hopefully without breaking any).

:)

2 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Ryzen 3 on the A88XM-E?

You'll no longer have a functional Ryzen 3.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Good to know! Thank you guys! Figured it was worth a try in the research phase at least :)

Even if it physically fit and powered up it couldn't access the memory as Ryzen CPUs don't have a DDR3 memory controller. Also, with absence of microcode, the BIOS wouldn't know what the CPU is or what to do with it

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On a positive note: I have an early 2011 macbook pro that I'd like to give a boost. So there is a chance I could throw those DDR3's in there. (Obviously I'll have to do some branding research there.)

Thanks again for the help/advice guys!

1 minute ago, trevb0t said:

On a positive note: I have an early 2011 macbook pro that I'd like to give a boost. So there is a chance I could throw those DDR3's in there. (Obviously I'll have to do some branding research there.)

Thanks again for the help/advice guys!

That macbook uses laptop memory. You can't fit desktop memory in there ;)

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

That macbook uses laptop memory. You can't fit desktop memory in there ;)

?? (I'm new to this if you can't tell..)

No, you can not 'use a phillips where the flathead screw driver goes'.
That is simply physically and electrically incompatible, period.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

3 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

No, you can not 'use a phillips where the flathead screw driver goes'.
That is simply physically and electrically incompatible, period.

But sometimes you can use a flat head where a philips goes :P 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

5 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

But sometimes you can use a flat head where a philips goes :P 

See X370 and X470, or Z170 and Z270.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system