Laptop Webcam Quality

Why are built-in laptop webcams still so poor in this day and age? I know that Linus has always expressed his exasperation whenever a $1000 up laptop comes with a potato instead of a webcam, but why is this the case?

Obviously small but good cameras are not hard to do, they are ubiquitous in smartphones today. I'm not asking for the camera to record in 4k, I just want a 1080p image that doesn't make me look like a hot pile of garbage.

What do you all think?

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

This has been covered before. Manufacturers put it in there to tick a box. A higher quality camera is not really a selling feature for most users. Personally I disable the camera in any system I have with one.

First, I thought you asked this question before

Second, this is because cost cutting measure - not everyone use webcam (like me)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

I thought you asked this question before 

You must have me confused with the other guy that has a gif of Linus on the bottom of a boring sexual encounter for a profile picture.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018