Temperatures

Ergroilnin

Hello,

I am simply curious about my temperatures on aircooling both the CPU and GPU.

The case is NZXT H700i without changing or adding any fans that weren't already in the case and the usual ambient temp of my room this time of year is around 20C.

My CPU is i7 4770 non k version, its idling temp is about 35 to 40 celsius, while when under normal full load (as in no stress test, just gaming + few background apps running in the background) never hits over 70C on Zalman CNPS10X Optima.

The GPU is Zotac AMP version of the 1060 6GB that is on stock frequency and memory and no undervolting either hits around 30 to 35C on idle and under 65 while stressed to 99% while gaming under the same conditions as the CPU obviously.

Now, I know fully well that these temperatures are far from damaging or degrading the chips even in long turn, but as I said, I am just curious about how these temperatures fare in comparison to other people. Obviously since my CPU is locked, even if I upgraded my cooler, it would only get me less noise (let's forget about BCKL...), though I do wonder about undervolting and OC'ing the GPU considering there is some headroom in temps, would that be worth it?

CPU is a little warm, but GPU I wouldnt worry about at all. 65 max is a pretty good temp

Undervolting would be kinda redundant in my opinion. Like you can for your cpu if you reaaaally want to- but 70c really isnt that bad. I'd maybe just apply some new thermal paste and see from there

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

CPU is a little warm,

Not really for haswell, the stock voltage on 4th gen was rather high because of the integrated VRM so undervolting would actually be a nice idea. Reminiscent of Vega.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

21 minutes ago, Slottr said:

CPU is a little warm, but GPU I wouldnt worry about at all. 65 max is a pretty good temp

Undervolting would be kinda redundant in my opinion. Like you can for your cpu if you reaaaally want to- but 70c really isnt that bad. I'd maybe just apply some new thermal paste and see from there

19 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Not really for haswell, the stock voltage on 4th gen was rather high because of the integrated VRM so undervolting would actually be a nice idea. Reminiscent of Vega.

Oh I knew I obviously forgot something very important to mention... The cooler was mounted by the company I ordered it from in like late 2013/early 2014 before I started meddling with building on my own somewhat (I chose the components, they just put it together and put warranty on the whole thing) so I have no idea which thermal paste they used, but obviously no matter which one they ended up using (and its hard to believe they used the higher end one anyway), it is going to be at least partially dried by now, so obviously the easiest and cheapest way to cool down the CPU to somewhat cooler temps would be simply repasting with some Kryonaut or some other current high end paste, which I obviously do plan on doing ASAP.

Still if your opinions on the current CPU temps are ranging from little warm to ok for haswell, it's pretty decent I suppose?

EDIT: Just so it doesn't seem like I am contradicting myself, the CPU+Cooler were there from the start though they were in another case (some kind of CoolerMaster Silencio case, not sure which one ATM) and the original GPU of that build was 760. I upgraded the GPU and the case about 5 months ago or so but I forgot about ordering new paste and since the temps seemed decent enough, I did not get new one yet.

2 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

Still if your opinions on the current CPU temps are ranging from little warm to ok for haswell, it's pretty decent I suppose?

Yeah you're definitely in safe parameters. Although you were right on track with the noise idea, fresh paste for lower temps will result in lower fan rpm.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Out of interest, I just ran Prime95 small FTTs and FurMark preset 2560x1440 no AA for about 15 minutes at the same time and the CPU hit the maximum temp of 84C (ouch, that is really high, I seriously need to repaste as soon as possible... Btw, before I turned on FurMark (about 5 minutes) the CPU did not go over 80C) while the GPU did not go over 62C.

14 hours ago, Ergroilnin said:

Out of interest, I just ran Prime95 small FTTs and FurMark preset 2560x1440 no AA for about 15 minutes at the same time and the CPU hit the maximum temp of 84C (ouch, that is really high, I seriously need to repaste as soon as possible... Btw, before I turned on FurMark (about 5 minutes) the CPU did not go over 80C) while the GPU did not go over 62C.

85 is still safe even, but do go right ahead and attempt to tweak the voltage. It's more convenient than new thermal paste at least, worth a shot.

Primary PC:

14 hours ago, Ergroilnin said:

Don't use Prime95 on Haswell, just don't. there are far better stress tests. The reason why CPU temps are higher when GPU is stressed is because hot air will go from GPU and back into case. So CPU cooler will mainly use warm air which is mixed by cool coming from intake fans and hot coming from GPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah you're definitely in safe parameters. Although you were right on track with the noise idea, fresh paste for lower temps will result in lower fan rpm.

Well I just repasted with my friends Arctic MX4 and I am getting somewhat mixed results. At the idle the temps are about the same, heck maybe even a degree or two higher, while FTT prime95 was about 4C lower with the fans going from yesterdays 1899 or so to 1620 so it is a bit cooler but mainly quieter by quite a bit under the non realistic load. 

9 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

Well I just repasted with my friends Arctic MX4 and I am getting somewhat mixed results. At the idle the temps are about the same, heck maybe even a degree or two higher, while FTT prime95 was about 4C lower with the fans going from yesterdays 1899 or so to 1620 so it is a bit cooler but mainly quieter by quite a bit under the non realistic load. 

Idle temps usually don't vary too much because the cooler adjusts to a set reasonable amount. Good that the fresh paste helped, I use MX-4 myself as well. 

Primary PC:

23 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Idle temps usually don't vary too much because the cooler adjusts to a set reasonable amount. Good that the fresh paste helped, I use MX-4 myself as well. 

I just tried undervolting through the XTU and with some testing, I managed to get -0.110V offset to run even with FTTs (yeah I know @LoGiCalDrm said not to use it on hashwell and fair enough I won't be next time, but since I had results from before repasting and after repasting with the FTT, I can have direct comparison right now) so far stable, while -0.125V dropped instantly after just applying it within the XTU without even running the FTT. 

And I am getting amazing results! Max of 71C with max fan speed now at mere 1400rpm, which is another 200 rpm down.