Laptop upgrade HELP

I am looking to upgrade my laptop's cpu, but while i was doing a little research i came across some forums saying that changing a laptop's cpu even though compatible with the motherboard the system might not work. My laptop is a sony vaio VPCEE4E1E model number PCG-61611M with an AMD Athlon II P360 dual core @ 2.3GHz 4gb ram and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series. An old system I know but i would like to experiment and if possible make it better is there a way to test if any CPU's are compatible with my motherboard?
Thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer :D !!!!

There is definitely a large chance that it won't work due to the BIOS, thermals, etc.

To the best of my knowledge there's no way to test for compatibility, either, apart from just seeing if anyone else has done it successfully.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

15 minutes ago, OriginalUser117 said:

I am looking to upgrade my laptop's cpu, but while i was doing a little research i came across some forums saying that changing a laptop's cpu even though compatible with the motherboard the system might not work. My laptop is a sony vaio VPCEE4E1E model number PCG-61611M with an AMD Athlon II P360 dual core @ 2.3GHz 4gb ram and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series. An old system I know but i would like to experiment and if possible make it better is there a way to test if any CPU's are compatible with my motherboard?
Thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer :D !!!!

take a look at this but like theres no guarentee what will work due to bios etc but tbh for the price u could pay for the chips no harm in experimenting i upgraded my g72 cpu witn no hickups
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/Athlon_II_Dual-Core_Mobile/P360.html

#1:- STRIX X470-F GAMING | Ryzen 7 2700X @ 42.50mhZ | Patriot Viper Steel Series 16gb (2x8) 4000 MHz | MSI RTX 2080 GAMING TRIO | ASUS ROG RYUJIN 240 | NZXT S340 ELITE | 2X 1TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2  +  3 X 1TB FIRECUDA 2.5" HYBRID DRIVES | EVGA SUPER NOVA G3 80+GOLD 1000W | AND ENOUGH RGB TO MAKE YOUR EYES MELT 

#2:- GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | RYZEN 2700X | AURUS 3200MHz | MSI GTX 1060 6GB | CIT BLAZE MID RED-BLACK | STOCK RYZEN RGB AIR COOLER | 2TB WD HDD + 500GB 970 EVO PLUS

#3:- STRIX X470-F GAMING | Ryzen 7 1800X | DOMINATOR LPX 3000MHz | STRIX 970| COOLER MASTER 240 ML | GAME MAX AURORA MID TOWER | CRUCIAL P1 1TB SSD M.2 + FIRECUDA 1TB HYBRID DRIVE

not a bad upgrade from a p6000 at the time i did it and i think i paid just under £10 gbp including shipping for it

DSC_0176.JPG

#1:- STRIX X470-F GAMING | Ryzen 7 2700X @ 42.50mhZ | Patriot Viper Steel Series 16gb (2x8) 4000 MHz | MSI RTX 2080 GAMING TRIO | ASUS ROG RYUJIN 240 | NZXT S340 ELITE | 2X 1TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2  +  3 X 1TB FIRECUDA 2.5" HYBRID DRIVES | EVGA SUPER NOVA G3 80+GOLD 1000W | AND ENOUGH RGB TO MAKE YOUR EYES MELT 

#2:- GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | RYZEN 2700X | AURUS 3200MHz | MSI GTX 1060 6GB | CIT BLAZE MID RED-BLACK | STOCK RYZEN RGB AIR COOLER | 2TB WD HDD + 500GB 970 EVO PLUS

#3:- STRIX X470-F GAMING | Ryzen 7 1800X | DOMINATOR LPX 3000MHz | STRIX 970| COOLER MASTER 240 ML | GAME MAX AURORA MID TOWER | CRUCIAL P1 1TB SSD M.2 + FIRECUDA 1TB HYBRID DRIVE

38 minutes ago, buzzinkeegs said:

take a look at this but like theres no guarentee what will work due to bios etc but tbh for the price u could pay for the chips no harm in experimenting i upgraded my g72 cpu witn no hickups
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/Athlon_II_Dual-Core_Mobile/P360.html

took a look at the site, do you know what the steppings are? (DA-C3 and BL-C3) I am looking to upgrade to the phenom II N970 but it is not in the same stepping category. Do you know if that is going to be a problem?

6 minutes ago, OriginalUser117 said:

took a look at the site, do you know what the steppings are? (DA-C3 and BL-C3) I am looking to upgrade to the phenom II N970 but it is not in the same stepping category. Do you know if that is going to be a problem?

In integrated circuits, the stepping level or revision level is a version number that refers to the introduction or revision of one or more photolithographic photomasks within the set of photomasks that is used to pattern an integrated circuit. The term originated from the name of the equipment ("steppers") that exposes the photoresist to light.[1][2] Integrated circuits have two primary classes of mask sets: 1. base layers that are used to build the structures that make up the logic such as transistors, and 2: metal layers that connect the logic together.

Typically, when an integrated circuit manufacturer such as Intel or AMD invests money to do a stepping (i.e. a revision to the masks), they have found bugs in the logic, have made improvements to the design that allow for faster processing, have found a way to increase yield or improve the "bin splits" (i.e., create faster transistors and hence faster CPUs), improve maneuverability to more easily identify marginal circuits, or reduce test time which can reduce the cost of testing the part.
:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepping_level

one thing i will say is not to have too high hopes on improvong intergrated graphics pure processing power will increase but things like gpu output are restricted by the chipset and availability of a mobile gpu

an ssd would be a more worthwhile upgrade to the system if you can. Everything will be much faster loading and booting up.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

On 1/17/2019 at 12:42 AM, buzzinkeegs said:

In integrated circuits, the stepping level or revision level is a version number that refers to the introduction or revision of one or more photolithographic photomasks within the set of photomasks that is used to pattern an integrated circuit. The term originated from the name of the equipment ("steppers") that exposes the photoresist to light.[1][2] Integrated circuits have two primary classes of mask sets: 1. base layers that are used to build the structures that make up the logic such as transistors, and 2: metal layers that connect the logic together.

Typically, when an integrated circuit manufacturer such as Intel or AMD invests money to do a stepping (i.e. a revision to the masks), they have found bugs in the logic, have made improvements to the design that allow for faster processing, have found a way to increase yield or improve the "bin splits" (i.e., create faster transistors and hence faster CPUs), improve maneuverability to more easily identify marginal circuits, or reduce test time which can reduce the cost of testing the part.
:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepping_level

Wow thanks for writing all that :D ........So does that reduce the chance of the new CPU  being compatible with my motherboard or no?

On 1/17/2019 at 12:49 AM, buzzinkeegs said:

one thing i will say is not to have too high hopes on improvong intergrated graphics pure processing power will increase but things like gpu output are restricted by the chipset and availability of a mobile gpu

I know I am looking to improve just the CPU though I don't really mind the GPU that is in there :D

On 1/17/2019 at 12:52 AM, miagisan said:

an ssd would be a more worthwhile upgrade to the system if you can. Everything will be much faster loading and booting up.

Adding an SSD is an easy task which I know will work 100% ........ This whole project is more like an experiment than a necessary upgrade :D

4 hours ago, OriginalUser117 said:

Adding an SSD is an easy task which I know will work 100% ........ This whole project is more like an experiment than a necessary upgrade :D

Ahh gotcha.....well good luck!

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

• 3 months later...

I got my hands on an old HP AMD P360 Dual Core laptop, already upgraded to an old SSD (Samsung 840) so it's usable, Cinebench R15 score of whopping 89, changed paste and thermal pads (40C degrees on idle), and $7 away from a P960 Quad on ebay ($12 really but got a $5 coupon).

@OriginalUser117 did you ever managed to do that upgrade?

• 1 year later...

Hi sorry for reviving an old thread but I have just upgraded that same laptop to an AMD Phenom II P960 Quad-Core CPU so it is possible to upgrade (for that spesific cpu at least).Performance wise I hanen't noticed any significant change but the thermals have improved a litle.So if you want you can definately try something like that altough I am not sure if it will work with other processors.