Console rundown?

Go to solution Solved by Slottr,

Xbox one S is the cheaper xbox, the xbox one x is the more powerful console that plays games at 4k

Basically the same for the PS4 and PS4 pro

Popular games?

For PS4: Spiderman, call of duty, NBA 2kXX, Fortnite...

For xbox: Forza Horizon 4, call of duty, NBA 2kXX, Fortnite...

Switch: Smash, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey

There is only one Switch console. To my knowledge, no controllers work on the switch other than the pro controller, the 3rd party specified switch controllers and game cube controllers through an Adapter. (If the wiiu controllers work, holy shit I just wasted my money on a pro controller)

Online gaming requires a subscription on the xbox, ps4 and switch. Doesnt require it to use netflix, youtube etc.

Accessories: Just drive people away from turtle beach, please oh my god 

TL;DR explain modern consoles, popular games & accessories.

Long:
I'm going for a video game store job & I'm mostly a PC gamer. I used to read Xbox Magazine & gameinformer in the mid 2000s but by 2010~ I started going PC.
Can you tell me some of the most popular games & what they're like in 3~ sentences?

popular gaming accessories too?

I know that the xbox one & ps4 are the 2 consoles but idk the differences to the types of xbox ones & ps4s.

I think there's only 1 switch. I think the wiimotes, wii u controllers, gamecube controllers (with an adapter) and switch controllers all work with the switch (at least for the purposes of super smash)

Online is still paid & free online only lets you add friends, send messages & watch netflix.

Other than that, I'm basically this:

Spoiler

image.png.84c861b0b1a611390f9c7dbea2fb1e2d.png

Oh & fortnite is free.

Mostly looking for retail knowledge however some online stuff might be important. I don't have an xbox one nor PS4.

Xbox one S is the cheaper xbox, the xbox one x is the more powerful console that plays games at 4k

Basically the same for the PS4 and PS4 pro

Popular games?

For PS4: Spiderman, call of duty, NBA 2kXX, Fortnite...

For xbox: Forza Horizon 4, call of duty, NBA 2kXX, Fortnite...

Switch: Smash, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey

There is only one Switch console. To my knowledge, no controllers work on the switch other than the pro controller, the 3rd party specified switch controllers and game cube controllers through an Adapter. (If the wiiu controllers work, holy shit I just wasted my money on a pro controller)

Online gaming requires a subscription on the xbox, ps4 and switch. Doesnt require it to use netflix, youtube etc.

Accessories: Just drive people away from turtle beach, please oh my god 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Souldja Handheld, its simply the best. Amazing value and performance!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

@Slottr, thanks! It seems gaming hasn’t progressed much on console in the last 10 years. Top games are still top. 

I thought destiny was big in 2013~ but I guess it died since. 

11 minutes ago, fpo said:

@Slottr, thanks! It seems gaming hasn’t progressed much on console in the last 10 years. Top games are still top. 

I thought destiny was big in 2013~ but I guess it died since. 

Yeah destiny simmered out when 2 came out. They didn't market it well enough and started giving it out for free to sell more of the DLC packs 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

7 hours ago, fpo said:

I know that the xbox one & ps4 are the 2 consoles but idk the differences to the types of xbox ones & ps4s.

TL;DR version is that the one S is slower than the Standard PS4 and these days often runs games with like 720p or so, the PS4 is the basis and runs (almost?) all Games in 1080p. The PS4 PRO is a bit more powerful.

I think there's only 1 switch.

At the moment there is only switch with various bundles. But the Hardware is the same.
Only differences: Game in Box and Color of the Joycons.

I think the wiimotes, wii u controllers, gamecube controllers (with an adapter) and switch controllers all work with the switch (at least for the purposes of super smash)

No

Wii stuff only works with stuff that is called Wii.

Means Wii and sometimes WiiU.

The Gamecube Controller, also called Smash Controller is only used in Smash.

But that can be used on either WiiU (with the WiiU Smash Adaptor) or the Switch with the Switch Smash Adaptor. Don't know if they are compatible but I doubt it.

Online is still paid & free online only lets you add friends, send messages & watch netflix.

Depends if they use the Sony/M$ Servers or not.

For example Final Fantasy 14 on PS4 is not paid with the PSN, you have to have an active Subscription.

And IIRC some Free to Play games don't need that either.

With the PS+ you also get some extra rebates (usually 5-10%, sometimes they do double Rebate for PSN) for some games, access to some Demos and also Online Storage for Savegames/Backups.

Oh & fortnite is free.

Mostly looking for retail knowledge however some online stuff might be important. I don't have an xbox one nor PS4.

The most important thing to know is that the Games make the Consoles. Not the Consoles the games.

The XBox One X doesn't have many Exclusives (basically none at all at the moment. If you want to be nice, you can say Master Chief Collection and Rare Replay and that's about it).

PS4 has the most interesting Exclusives right now. Two of them were big contenders for Game of the Year, one of them won actually. And I'm not talking about Red Dead 2.

Spider Man was the contender and Dad of Boy (God of War is the real name) won it.

Switch also has some very interesting games. But only for people who don't come from the WiiU as most are WiiU remakes. Mostly because the WiiU didn't sell that well for many reasons...

Controllers:
There is no cross compatibility for most cases. Though I'm planning on getting a Switch Pro Controller as soon as possible (wanted to get it this month but the 199,99€ for the NEW new 3DS in store, not preused was more important to me), if I have that, I'll test it with my WiiU.

There are some exceptions though. What I know is that a PS4 Controller can be mostly used on Playstation 3. But you don't get motion Controls and the Playstation Button is without Function.

Some people say that the wired XBox 360 Controller might work on XBox One. I didn't test that because there are some things missing from my Saitek XBox Controller.

As for the features of the Controllers:
Playstation 3 features analoguish trigger, Motion Controls and the Dual Shock Versions Rumble.

Playstation 4 features analoguish trigger, Motion COntrols, Touchpad, Seperate Screenshot Button

WiiU and Switch PRO Controller I do not own (yet), so not sure. But they don't feature Analoguish triggers, only digital Buttons, should feature Motion Controls and NFC for Amiibo stuff.

And Switch also features a dedicated Screenshot Button.

XBox 360 Controllers feature only Analoguish Triggers and Rumble

XBox One features Analoguish Triggers and Trigger Vibrators and Rumble.

As for the Consoles:
Switch has a simple version of HDMI CEC enabled, wich is able to switch on your TV or change Channels. Basically the same as SCART back in the day for the Euros. And Bluetooth, though rather limited implementation (Only "certified Hardware" IIRC).

Sony is more open with Bluetooth, you can pair most Bluetooth devices with the Playstation 4. Even if you can't use them (like XBox One Controllers). Thus you can IIRC also use Bluetooth Audio devices (=BT Headset)....

XBox don't come with Bluetooth Support. ONly the newest, uglier Controller can use BT...

Online Store:

DL of the Switch seems to be limited to 25MBit with WiFi, that is a bit shit. Besides that it works OK, no issues here. Though in Europe its a bit shit on PC..

Playstation Store on the Console is OKish, not as good as Nintendo. But you can use it on PC well. 

With both Nintendo and Sony you can buy everything they have from PC.

And there is the XBox Online store. While the manufacturer claims "Backwards Compatibility", you can't buy backward compatible Games with the money you have in the Microsoft Account. Those are only purchasable with Credit Card or Paypal. Or on an XBox 360...

Oh and Backwards Compatible = CD/DVD is the dongle, you put it into your XBox and it downloads the backwards compatible Game from the Internet...

Also something worth mentioning...

And a bit of things I've forgotten.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

19 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Oh and Backwards Compatible = CD/DVD is the dongle, you put it into your XBox and it downloads the backwards compatible Game from the Internet...

Also something worth mentioning...

You need a USB drive to play 360 and OG games on the Xbox one?

As for the rest, I found it all very informative.
Does the windows store/Xbox market do cross purchasing? I heard if you bought Gears 4 you'd get it on PC and Xbox if you had your live account linked on both.

21 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

At the moment there is only switch with various bundles. But the Hardware is the same.

ARGH, well, that's not entirely true. There is a "Hardware Version 2.0", but that's only of interest for the "Homebrew" Community, where there was a Bug on the Hardwarelevel fixed. That's the only difference.

For the average user, it doesn't matter at all. as the Hardware is still the same.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

You need a USB drive to play 360 and OG games on the Xbox one?

No, you need the Original DVD, put that into the Drive and it downloads the Game to the Harddrive.

It doesn't take anything from the Orignal disc. It is only used as DRM.

Buying Backward Compatible Games online on the XBox One is as bad as it gets.

Lets assume you have 20€ in your Microsoft Account. And the Game you want to buy is like 5€. And an XBox 360 Game.

You can't buy it. 

You have to have payment options (depending on Region that might vary) like Bank Account, Paypal or Credit Card added to your M$ Account and pay it with those things for whatever reason.

Here is what the M$ Store says (was a DLC for Blue Dragon, a 360 Game):

DSC_5036s.jpg.a4ba3ff9a3d2ee1a235bf0760520a97e.jpg

The only way you can use the M$ Live Account Balance is with an XBox 360.

Haven't tried getting a Backwards Compatible XBox Classic Game on my 360 though...

But that's essentially how it works...

Does the windows store/Xbox market do cross purchasing?

Only on select "Microsoft" Games. Either as Publisher or as the Developer. Or a combination of both.

I heard if you bought Gears 4 you'd get it on PC and Xbox if you had your live account linked on both.

Correct.

It also applies to Forza Horizon 3 and 4, Forza Motorsport 7 and a couple of other games as well.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"