Bricked Gigabyte GA-AB350M-GAMING 3 BIOS Flash Failure

Hello All,

So I know I did something dumb, just getting that out the way. Apologies for the long post.

Although, I will start from why I wanted to update my BIOS. My PC had a problem waking up from sleep and had to restart instead of waking up. Upon, restarting I was notified that there was a memory.dmp for the error. I did some research on the memory dump and it looked like there was a power driver issue. However, I was unable to determine the specific driver for which the error derived from. Therefore, I attempted to find more information from Gigabyte. I installed the Gigabyte App Center hoping it would help ensure my drivers were up to date/stable. I ran a live update on that App Center, it first updated the NIC driver restarted PC, updated/flashed BIOS on its own successfully restarted and booting normally after that.

Then I messed up. I was at this point running BIOS Version F22. Still unsure that I resolved any of the original driver issues I went back into the Gigabyte App Center, went into the BIOS settings section, clicked update from server. It found the newest version (F23) and displayed my Motherboard model. (The APP center uses the .@BIOS live update utility.)  Then when I updated and flashed the new BIOS it said flashed successfully, Reboot now? I rebooted the machine and it power-cycled a few times which I figured was normal but, when it stopped the power cycles and the RGB keyboard/mouse were no longer light I began to worry. Since, it is terrible to interrupt a BIOS update/flash I waited a few minutes more. Still nothing, I tried reseating the monitor, mouse, and keyboard but, no change. Finally I decided well I will just reboot it. Using the power button I did so, the PC seemed to power-cycle and POST normally but, there was no Post or anything coming up on the monitor. I tried moving the monitor cables to the onboard graphics etc. Though, I was unable to get anything on my monitors whatever I tried. Looking for any troubleshooting options from there I tried a CMOS reset and now there is no response whatsoever when trying to power up. No fans, LEDs, nothing. 

Not sure of what the exact point of failure was but, I am very certain at this point that I just upgraded my motherboard to an expensive paperweight. I basically would just like a confirmation that my MB is now a brick before I put the nail on it's coffin. 

P.S.

May be a good video idea to explain this further and attempt repair on a MB with failed BIOS. I assume you can do that by changing the actual chip-set for the bios on the motherboard. Not sure if that is something Linus would do or not. 

Thanks everyone!

2 minutes ago, DeskRabbit said:

So I know I did something dumb

Not really, you carried out the procedure correctly. Every once in a blue moon the BIOS update decides to fail, mine actually did the same thing (BIOS update completed, restarting now, then boot looped). Can you send the board in to get the BIOS replaced?

3 minutes ago, DeskRabbit said:

I assume you can do that by changing the actual chip-set f

The chipset is the part that controls the motherboard's processes, the BIOS chip stores the BIOS. It can be replaced, but it is by no means a beginner task.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, DeskRabbit said:

-snip-

Before you RMA this board, I want you to try something. Can you send a picture of your mother board under a bright light?

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

First power your computer up, if nothing happens then turn it off and UNPLUG IT(I want you to power it up just to get some power flowing through it real quick). It's imperative that you unplug it after turning it off before proceeding to the next step. See these 2 pins @DeskRabbit in the picture? Take a screwdriver or some other conductive metallic object and short them. Meaning, touch both pins with the same piece of metal at the same time. Continue to hold the metallic object in place, shorting the pins, for 15 seconds or so. After doing this, plug your computer back in and attempt to boot it up.

image.png.411b4fcc0c829b1a5fec4cbcf0c7c5b8.png

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

I can give that a try but, right now there is seemingly no power going through it at all. I.E. no fans turning and no LED's etc. Should I still give it a try the same sort of way? @CharminUltraStrong Thank you.

3 minutes ago, DeskRabbit said:

I can give that a try but, right now there is seemingly no power going through it at all. I.E. no fans turning and no LED's etc. Should I still give it a try the same sort of way? @CharminUltraStrong Thank you.

Yes. This will reset the CMOS and BIOS values. Now if you're worried about power running through the system, then clear the CMOS by holding the power button for 15 seconds and then attempting a boot. If, again, this doesn't fix your issue simply refer back to the steps I stated previously. Also, not a problem : ). The boot before resetting the CMOS values/BIOS values isn't necessary I just do it to eliminate any other variables.

The Louvre

Well still no response whatsoever when trying to power up after shorting those pins. I might be able return it still so that's a plus. 

UPDATE: I was played with the display cables a bit and actually got a POST. Not sure what is going on but, this is the furthest I have gotten since the BIOS flash. I cannot f2 or del to do anything like normal on the boot menu. Anyone know is there a safe mode option on this MB BIOS? Not seeing anything about it in the manual.

20190116_121216.jpg

Edited by DeskRabbit

WOW -Owen Wilson 

I was able to get into the bios reinstall/flash BIOS version F22 from flash drive. Then boot into windows on restart. I have never been so happy to see windows. lol Thanks for the assistance and chat! I am so happy