AMD B350 chipset not supporting decent overclocking, contrary to what users expect?

D4n

I tried OCing my Ryzen 5 1600X with both Gigabyte and AsRock AB350M mainboards, both failed to OC to 4.00 GHz, didn't give an error report on what cause, just reboots with 3.60 GHz again.

Now I have X370 mainboard, does the job fine. Why did AMD promise us consumers that B350 would support OC if they don't ? Another marketing-lie by AMD?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM4

Below you can see, "Unlocked"... Chart by AMD.

am4-chipset-100702364-orig.jpg

1 minute ago, D4n said:

I tried OCing my Ryzen 5 1600X with both Gigabyte and AsRock AB350M mainboards, both failed to OC to 4.00 GHz, didn't give an error report on what cause, just reboots with 3.60 GHz again.

Now I have X370 mainboard, does the job fine. Why did AMD promise us consumers that B350 would support OC if they don't ? Another marketing-lie by AMD?

well your explanation is very flawed , the b350 board can oc but it wasnt as good as the x370 board because of power phases and vrm 

3 minutes ago, D4n said:

yeah, because you either have unsufficient voltage and or the VRM isnt good eough. the fact you can change the multiplier says you can overclock. 

try being more modest and patient when overclocking and spend some time tweaking. 

Sounds like youre an inexperienced overclocker who got frustrated.

B350/B450 can overclock perfectly fine, but thats not even what you have.

You got the even cheaper AB350 boards which have weaker VRM's than a standard B350. You could have overclocked just fine by tweaking your voltage settings, plenty of budget builders OC on AB350 boards and have no problem.

TL;DR: PEBKAC

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

15 minutes ago, D4n said:

Sometimes its cause you may have lost the silicon lottery too dear :) being able to change the clock speeds already means you are able to 'overclock' your cpu.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

The quality of the mainboard is not AMD faults,they just provide the chipset, it is up to the manufacturer to design the mainboard.

Don't blame AMD, most B350 board are designed to be cheap alternative to x370, so they cut some component to fit the price.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 GHz on 1st gen Ryzens is on the voltage wall, so what voltages were used in those attempts? Maybe the mobos have different auto voltage strategies making one appear to work where others didn't. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Am experienced, I OC'd my i7 2600K to 4.4 GHz back in the days ... ;)

51 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

yeah, because you either have unsufficient voltage and or the VRM isnt good eough. the fact you can change the multiplier says you can overclock. 

try being more modest and patient when overclocking and spend some time tweaking. 

I did, like was mentioned on TomsHardware (or what it was, don't remember) I set 4.0 GHz and 1.40 V... still failed... So Gigabyte and AsRock didn't keep their promise then it seems, cuz apparently 1.45 V is risky for daily use (according to google forum results).

45 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

TL;DR: PEBKAC

"PEBKAC" ?

33 minutes ago, porina said:

4 GHz on 1st gen Ryzens is on the voltage wall, so what voltages were used in those attempts? Maybe the mobos have different auto voltage strategies making one appear to work where others didn't. 

"voltage wall" ?

11 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Get a B450M PRO4, B450 PRO4, B450M MORTAR, B450 TOMAHAWK and try again

Thanks for the hint, but no, B450 is even a few € more expensive than X370, strange enough... :P

Just now, D4n said:

did, like was mentioned on TomsHardware (or what it was, don't remember) I set 4.0 GHz and 1.40 V... still failed... So Gigabyte and AsRock didn't keep their promise then it seems, cuz apparently 1.45 V is risky for daily use (according to google forum results).

1 minute ago, D4n said:

Am experienced, I OC'd my i7 2600K to 4.4 GHz back in the days ... ;)

Apperantly not.

4,0 ghz isnt often achieved on this motherboards. And an experienced overclocker should know that 1,4 volts is super toasty. Not to mention VRM power throttling due to overheating VRM.

It is not as simple as putting in 1,4volts and 4ghz. Silicon varies in overclockability. 

Depending on your motherbord you should stay at 1,35 volts or below. 

Wtf is "toasty" ? Negative? Positive? Is there a Freeware somewhere to observe VRM temps?

I got voltage set to "auto" because for some reason in bios it already states ~"1.4" V , where when I set dynamic vcore voltage to +0.100 I fear it does add that to the 1.4V instead of to the default ~ 1.3V Ryzen 5 1600X voltage.

4 minutes ago, D4n said:

Wtf is "toasty" ? Negative? Positive? Is there a Freeware somewhere to observe VRM temps?

I got voltage set to "auto" because for some reason in bios it already states ~"1.4" V , where when I set dynamic vcore voltage to +0.100 I fear it does add that to the 1.4V instead of to the default ~ 1.3V Ryzen 5 1600X voltage.

toasty means the voltage is high for B series boards.

you motheboard is unlikely to have a temp sensor on the VRMs. maybe hardware monitor will do the trick.

never use auto voltage. its way to generous on the voltage. 

you are supposed to manually input the voltage or input an offset

PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Doing bios update now, I already had latest chipset driver. System froze 2 times already while I had a game and other programs open (CPU demanding), most likely related to the CPU overclocking. I enabled "High Precision Event Timer" and "AMD quiet & ..."  features again in Bios. Just tried hardware monitor, working! Thx!

image.png.91605b138eedaeba5b8c033abf8d6b69.png

1 hour ago, D4n said:

Overclocking to a certain speed is not guaranteed. Sustained (not boost) 4.0GHz and above was a task on the OG Ryzen chips, even on a good board. You're using boards with garbage power delivery and expecting a speed that you'd need at least a midrange X370 to get to stability at. Consider reading or watching one of the many available Ryzen overclocking guides (I think Tech YES City did a good B350 one) then trying again, with the understanding that shooting the moon on your first attempt then complaining on a forum is probably not going to get results.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Whats "OG Ryzen chips" ? And is it true that the system would entirely "freeze" instead of just getting super slow for example? Why does a PC insta-freeze? I'd expect hardware manufacturers/Microsoft to come up with a solution that would alert the user with some kind of "voltage delivery problem" warning in Windows 10 instead of insta-freezing the system and letting the user suffer a 5-10 min. waiting to use PC again after rebooting.

Also, didn't Gigabyte internally test to get a Ryzen 5 1600X to 4 GHz on their X370 boards?

1 hour ago, D4n said:

"voltage wall" ?

Generally speaking, when you overclock you need to increase voltage to maintain stability. At some point, to get much more increase in clock, you need to add a LOT more voltage. That's the voltage wall. It's the limit that is hard to overcome, and only really done for competitive reasons not normal running.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

43 minutes ago, D4n said:

Also, didn't Gigabyte internally test to get a Ryzen 5 1600X to 4 GHz on their X370 boards?

Have you heard of the term 'silicon lottery'? It refers to how individual chips will vary in how well they overclock. 

For example, my 1500X isn't completely stable at 3,9GHz 1,4V. Others will run 4,0GHz just fine. 

:)

3 hours ago, D4n said:

What? I get the impression you're massively misunderstand overclocking. 

You are guaranteed stock speeds. And not a singe MHz more. 

Anything else is luck. And your own responsibility, should you destroy your CPU or mainboard.

AMD is just friendly enough not to forbid you to take this responsibility (as Intel does on most CPUs by locking them to stock) or ask you to pay more to do it (as Intel does by selling unlocked "K" chips for a bit of a premium.) 

CPU and mainboards are tested for stock speeds (+ ab bit of headroom for security margin).

Unlocked means, you are allowed to try to get into that margin and use it.

No luck? We'll... pitty. But nothing you can complain about. 

I'd say the lesson to be learned here is:  Learn first, then buy.  Sounds to me like you were just ignorant to a few important variants involved and how they will effect your outcome.  it's not big deal, you can use this as a chance to learn.