New iPod Touch might be in the works for 2019

captain_to_fire

iPod Touch  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Have you personally owned an iPod Touch before?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Bluetooth audio is inferior.

i can't hear the difference

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Most people already own wired headphones.

i don't. also iPhones come bundled with earbuds that work with the phone's lightning port. 

if those don't sound good enough you have to buy other headphones anyway. 

if you already have wired headphones and don't want to buy new one's you can use a dongle. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

the battery lasts 20 hours with noise cancelling on, if you turn that off it's 22 hours. at least that's what Sony claims. i've never tested it myself. 

i do know that i've never had it die if i started the day with it fully charged. 

like, i don't know why people think it's so hard to plug something in at the end of a day.

its another thing you need to charge. that is why. i get that they have long batter lives, but in the end. the wired ones work when your device has battery. and you cant listen without the device anyways. 

wireless is great and all, but having the option to have both is a lot better. people miss it since the jack did a lot of thing people take for granted in the moment

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

oh that makes sense... just always leave the dongle plugged into the car stereo? 

Only if the dongle is us-c to 3.5mm male which, of course, is a thing. You do have to buy that cable though. 

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I mean, 15 bucks is nothing for apple users I guess... only the reasons behind removing it sound kinda stupid to me

That is not exactly true. Shit ton of Apple users don't want to buy accessories. Most apple that are annoyed by the dongle is not because of the price or quality even, it's the annoyance. I do not have a source, it's my experience. I mean I buy third party cables if they are better than OG ones, not all of us Android users are cheap. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, firelighter487 said:

can't hear the difference

• Interference
  • Battery life

iPhones come bundled with earbuds that work with the phone's lightning port.

Those won't last long.

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

if those don't sound good enough you have to buy other headphones anyway

Most people don't, because again, most people already have wired sets.

you can use a dongle

Which is another failure point, and can only accommodate one aux output effectively.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

I mean, 15 bucks is nothing for apple users I guess... only the reasons behind removing it sound kinda stupid to me

waterproofing is a big reason for me though... i believe that was one of the reasons. i could be wrong though. 

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

you should read what lg offers in this catagory. I can hear the difference between a cheap dongle and a good built in dac amp in a phone. that doesn't make a audiophile

i'm still not interested. i listen to music on my phone while i'm on the train etc where there is enough noise to make it so i can't hear any differences in dac quality... 

also like i said i can't hear the difference between bluetooth and my MacBooks dac. 

and it's not because of my headset. i have Sony MDR1000X headphones which AFAIK are pretty good. 

She/Her

waterproofing is a big reason for me though... i believe that was one of the reasons. i could be wrong though. 

fair enough. would accepted if it wasn't possible without removing it. and apple say they had to.

except it's bullshit

Samsung phones have IP68 water & dust resistance before the iPhone 7 and they have the headphone jack.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I have an iTouch 4th gen (it was a gift) it's literally just a brick. I only have it in my phone pouch (that stays on my belt) because the pouch is stretched out and my phone will fall out otherwise. The iPod still works, can still listen to music on it, but because support has been long since gone for it, that's all it's good for. In this day and age, the only reason I would think bringing a device like this back is a good idea, is if it had a built in DAC, and a good one at that. Otherwise, what's the point? Buy a used iPhone 4s or something if you kid really want's one. Unless this thing will cost 80 USD.

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

That is not exactly true. Shit ton of Apple users don't want to buy accessories. Most apple that are annoyed by the dongle is not because of the price or quality even, it's the annoyance. I do not have a source, it's my experience. I mean I buy third party cables if they are better than OG ones, not all of us Android users are cheap.

true... and on android you can actually buy third party without problems

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its another thing you need to charge. that is why. i get that they have long batter lives, but in the end. the wired ones work when your device has battery. and you cant listen without the device anyways. 

i always put them on charge at the end of they day. and they have a wired mode. even when the battery in the headphones is dead you can listen in wired mode. without noise cancelling of course but you can still hear music. 

so if worst comes to the worst and i forget to charge them and the battery is dead i can just use the dongle that came with my iPhone and the wired mode on the headphones. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Shit ton of Apple users don't want to buy accessories. 

me included. i never defended the dongle not being included with the phones anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Those won't last long.

mine still work.. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

oh that makes sense... just always leave the dongle plugged into the car stereo? 

maybe it's my ears but i never hear the difference. not even the difference between bluetooth and having the headphones plugged into my MacBook with a wire. if you can hear the difference you shouldn't be using a dac built into a phone IMO...

the battery lasts 20 hours with noise cancelling on, if you turn that off it's 22 hours. at least that's what Sony claims. i've never tested it myself. 

i do know that i've never had it die if i started the day with it fully charged. 

like, i don't know why people think it's so hard to plug something in at the end of a day.

And then you need a dongle for everything else you need a headphone jack for lol.

The difference with bluetooth and a phone with a good DAC can be pretty noticeable, and buying decent bluetooth headphones is also more expensive though not a problem for apple users i guess.

Its having to charge more stuff at the end of the day, not sure how that is better.

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

fair enough. would accepted if it wasn't possible without removing it. and apple say they had to.

except it's bullshit

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Samsung phones have IP68 water & dust resistance before the iPhone 7 and they have the headphone jack.

well i was wrong then. i thought that was why. 

She/Her

27 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Why...?

Maybe because parents buy it for their kids or there are people who want to try the Apple ecosystem but don't want to spend a lot of money on a new iPhone or iPad. Not to mention, the iPod Touch is colorful. Back in the day, its only competitor is the Zune HD but it was eventually killed by Microsoft in October 2011. Samsung tried with their Galaxy Player but it sucked.

I feel like this product is targeted at younger kids. 

~The Yahm

Just now, firelighter487 said:

well... that's what apple likes to let you think

It's courage

even when the battery in the headphones is dead you can listen in wired mode

so if worst comes to the worst and i forget to charge them and the battery is dead i can just use the dongle that came with my iPhone and the wired mode on the headphones. 

so you need to bring your dongle and cable anyway.........

then what is truly the benefit then?

But personally I use BT headphones more and more especially in the gym or when I'm running as there would be no cables dangling when I'm running.

It's just that the headphone jack is nice when you're in a situation that requires it.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Its having to charge more stuff at the end of the day, not sure how that is better.

i have to plug in my phone anyway. the extra 5 seconds to plug in my headset don't bother me. 

i would have had to charge it anyway because i use the noise cancelling anyway, even if the headset is in wired mode. 

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

and buying decent bluetooth headphones is also more expensive though not a problem for apple users i guess.

well that depends. i bought my headphones with a 21% sale on them so that's a thing. 

but agreed they are more expensive. 

She/Her

Yeah, I had one. It was actually the OG model, and I got it a few years ago, but then it broke soon after. Kind of makes me nostalgic about the earlier days of apple products. It didn't even have a camera, and the web browsing was awful. Sure better than the MP3 player I still have now, though. 

1 minute ago, hiitswilliam said:

Yeah, I had one. It was actually the OG model, and I got it a few years ago, but then it broke soon after. Kind of makes me nostalgic about the earlier days of apple products. It didn't even have a camera, and the web browsing was awful. Sure better than the MP3 player I still have now, though. 

Is it as thick as the OG 2007 iPhone? My first iOS device was an iPhone 4s.

A lot of my friends actually had them just a few years back because their parents didn't want to get them a plan and everything, but the kid still wanted something that felt like a phone. Except for one of my friends, that had the newest iPhone for all of elementary school.

Just now, captain_to_fire said:

Is it as thick as the OG 2007 iPhone? My first iOS device was an iPhone 4s.

It was pretty thick. And it had that box with the John Legend album on it. It was a bit thinner, I think, but not much. One of my friends has an OG iPhone.

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well... that's what apple likes to let you think

apple didn't tell me that. i just figured that was why. i couldn't come up with another reason. 

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

It's just that the headphone jack is nice when you're in a situation that requires it.

i never go anywhere without my backpack, and the dongle for my iPhone 7 is in there somewhere.... 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

so you need to bring your dongle and cable anyway.........

then what is truly the benefit then?

what if my headphone jack breaks? now i just have to replace a dongle rather than the entire phone. 

same with the cable for my headphones. i have had those cables go bad on other headphones causing only one speaker to work. i had to throw those headphones away. with my current one's the cable is removable so i only have to replace the cable if that happened again. 

She/Her

I still have my old iPod Touch 4th gen 8GB. Surprisingly that iPod had a camera whereas my iPod Touch 5th gen 16GB didn't. Isn't the Apple ecosystem just great?

I really think things took a turn with the iPhone 5. It's not really Steve Jobs' death that caused all this either, Steve actually said that he didn't want people fiddling around with the insides of their iPhones so they were going to go in the direction they are now anyway.

Also Apple removing the headphone jack is stupid. I don't want to have to use a dongle to be able to use my headphones that are perfectly fine. I don't want to charge my headphones every night. I don't want to have to go through the horror of trying to pair bluetooth headphones and I don't want to have to pay £150 for some pos airpods that have a special chip in them that magically makes them connect quicker.

what if my headphone jack breaks? now i just have to replace a dongle rather than the entire phone. 

the she part or the he part?

i am assuming you mean she part..

you know what you can do if that happens? you can also just replace it with a dongle. or you can open the phone and replace the port.  i dont see the issue here. it is still better than without it.