New iPod Touch might be in the works for 2019

captain_to_fire

iPod Touch  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Have you personally owned an iPod Touch before?

• Yes
    • No

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/14/ipod-touch-usb-c-iphone-report/

ipod-touch-lineup.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&w=1600

According to a new report from supply chain blog Macotakara, Apple could be in the process of developing a revised iPod touch. Further, the report says the 2019 iPhone might make the jump to USB-C, just like the 2018 iPad Pros.

Theoretically, an entry-level iPod touch would be a way for Apple to continue to grow its install base and thus its Services segment. Having more iOS users means there are more users able to pay for iCloud storage, use Apple Music, and use the App Store and iTunes Store. The iPod touch would likely target younger users who aren’t yet ready for a smartphone.

Apple discontinued the iPod nano and iPod shuffle in 2017, meaning the iPod touch is the sole iPod still sold by Apple today.

Why? Frankly a USB C iPhone is more likely to happen considering that the 2018 iPad Pro made the transition to USB C. An iPod Touch refresh, I mean it's an iPhone without a phone but nowadays you can get a cheapo refurb iPhone or iPad? Just as how much people are still buying those for themselves? I remember back when I was in college, I see people with Blackberry phones for their main way of communicating and an iPod Touch for entertainment. Now, it's either an Android phone or an iPhone. 

But I can see the iPod Touch (32 GB, $200) being used as a kid device and it's cheaper than the base model iPad at $330. If Apple is bringing it back, I hope they add IP67 water & dust resistance and make it cheaper at around $150. 

To parents in the forum who thinks of buying an iPod Touch to their kids, don't forget enabling parental controls which is now improved in iOS 12. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, GoldenLag said:

so essentially they are going to make better phones again? by that i mean add an headphonejack

i mean its been on a decline since the couragous step they took with the Iphone 7.

why do peole still complain about the headphone jack? i have a nice pair of bluetooth headphones and an iPhone 7. i never miss the headphone jack...

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

why do peole still complain about the headphone jack? i have a nice pair of bluetooth headphones and an iPhone 7. i never miss the headphone jack...

say that to all the people that own a good car, or just like using wired headphones. I do miss it as the dongle of my mi8 broke after a week...

It makes sense for kids but it seems like a way to say they have a cheap iPhone. It better have a headphone jack. But I think most kids will be like, "My friend has an iPhone, I want an iPhone too not an iPod." And most people listen to music on their phones already and audiophiles won't go near it so its just a smaller iPhone with presumably a few crucial features cut out.

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i have a nice pair of Wired headphones that dont need charging. you point is?

there is a reason why people complain, and its due to its versatility when using headphones and audio equipment. 

also listening while charging the phone. 

20 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

so essentially they are going to make better phones again? by that i mean add a headphonejack

i mean its been on a decline since the couragous step they took with the Iphone 7.

If Apple does refresh the iPod Touch, I doubt they'll be bringing back the headphone jack. They might bring Touch ID though so it'll be a notch free iPod and adding Face ID would make it expensive.

Edited by captain_to_fire

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

say that to all the people that own a good car, or just like using wired headphones. I do miss it as the dongle of my mi8 broke after a week...

I lost my dongle after a month and I found it a month later in my house. I ordered replacements online but they sounded so bad I returned them and used a BT adaptor.

Just now, Tarun10 said:

But I think most kids will be like, "My friend has an iPhone, I want an iPhone too not an iPod."

"Go to your room kid! My house, my money, my bloody rules!" :P

Just now, captain_to_fire said:

If Apple does refresh the iPod Touch, I doubt they'll be bringing back the headphone jack. They might bring Touch ID though so it'll be a notch free phone and adding Face ID would make it expensive.

essentially that is a better new phone at a lower pricepoint. who needs the ability to call these days anyways. 

why on earth buy the Iphone XR when you can have an Ipod Touch

say that to all the people that own a good car

?

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

or just like using wired headphones.

there is a dongle for those things you know?

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

there is a reason why people complain, and its due to its versatility when using headphones and audio equipment. 

which is why MacBooks still have it, i assume for said audio equipment. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

also listening while charging the phone. 

i can have my bluetooth headset connected to my phone while my phone is charging. your point is?

She/Her

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Pairing a phone via Bluetooth can take at least five steps especially for the first time. Plugging in an aux jack takes about two steps.

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

If Apple does refresh the iPod Touch, I doubt they'll be bringing back the headphone jack. They might bring Touch ID though so it'll be a notch free phone and adding Face ID would make it expensive.

wait... a Ipod without headphone jack? what's the next step? macbooks?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

essentially that is a better new phone at a lower pricepoint. who needs the ability to call these days anyways. 

It sounds like a good deal but with Apple there is always a catch, I am sure there will be some deal breaker.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Well yeah it can send/receive iMessage and FaceTime (including FaceTime audio) but you're stuck to WiFi. Also, the iPod Touch rear camera is not on par with the one on the iPhone.

?

music from the phone in the car? not everyone has/wants to use bluetooth for that

there is a dongle for those things you know?

you know they sound worse than a good old internal dac/amp, do you?

Just now, firelighter487 said:

which is why MacBooks still have it, i assume for said audio equipment. 

why doesnt Ipad Pros have it? 

this isnt only for production usecases, it is also amateurs and random occasions where the ability to hook up the phone is key. 

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i can have my bluetooth headset connected to my phone while my phone is charging. your point is?

have fun charging your bluetooth headset. 

3 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

It sounds like a good deal but with Apple there is always a catch, I am sure there will be some deal breaker.

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Well yeah it can send/receive iMessage and FaceTime (including FaceTime audio) but you're stuck to WiFi. Also, the iPod Touch rear camera is not on par with the one on the iPhone.

i mean. there is allways some downside. 

also since it is essential to be able to listen to itunes/apple music/spotify. i find it hard for them not to include e-sim. 

yes rear camera is not as good, but i doubt they will put something disgracefull on it (if they put a camera at all)

6 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Pairing a phone via Bluetooth can take at least five steps especially for the first time. Plugging in an aux jack takes about two steps.

plug it in

get sum music on.

that's it

13 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

1. Bluetooth audio is inferior.
  2. Most people already own wired headphones.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

plug it in

get sum music on.

that's it

Inb4 someone says "but the W1 chip makes Bluetooth pairing quicker..."

Just how many cars have the W1 chip? None.

music from the phone in the car? not everyone has/wants to use bluetooth for that

oh that makes sense... just always leave the dongle plugged into the car stereo? 

you know they sound worse than a good old internal dac/amp, do you?

maybe it's my ears but i never hear the difference. not even the difference between bluetooth and having the headphones plugged into my MacBook with a wire. if you can hear the difference you shouldn't be using a dac built into a phone IMO...

why doesnt Ipad Pros have it? 

i agree about that. the iPad pro not having it is stupid. 

have fun charging your bluetooth headset. 

the battery lasts 20 hours with noise cancelling on, if you turn that off it's 22 hours. at least that's what Sony claims. i've never tested it myself. 

i do know that i've never had it die if i started the day with it fully charged. 

like, i don't know why people think it's so hard to plug something in at the end of a day.

She/Her

Well I always found the iPod useful for one thing: If you want/need an iOS device, but you don't want to pay the expense of an iPhone. ( The cheapest iPhone you can buy new from Apple is a iPhone 7 at $450?) I know there are a couple of things that are only on iOS and not on android for some reason...

EDIT: A regular ipad is $329, but maybe your use case needs to be more portable then a tablet.

oh that makes sense... just always leave the dongle plugged into the car stereo? 

I mean, 15 bucks is nothing for apple users I guess... only the reasons behind removing it sound kinda stupid to me

maybe it's my ears but i never hear the difference. not even the difference between bluetooth and having the headphones plugged into my MacBook with a wire. if you can hear the difference you shouldn't be using a dac built into a phone IMO...

you should read what lg offers in this catagory. I can hear the difference between a cheap dongle and a good built in dac amp in a phone. that doesn't make a audiophile