Determining What Monitor Is Worth It For Me

Adamt1212

My Current PC Specs:

• AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
  • Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. AB350-Gaming 3-CF (AM4)
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
  • GeForce RTX 2080 Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB GDDR6
  • BenQ 24" 144hz monitor 

So today I am pulling the plug on upgrading my monitor. I have recently upgraded my graphics card as you can see in my specs above and I want something that is well worth my while with my current setup.

When I originally set out my search I was over reaching on my checklist a little for the price I want to pay. 4k HDR 34" or more 120hz or more.

From what I can see I'd be in the 1k-2k range in price which is a little above what I want to spend.

I've catered my desired specs then to still 34" or more but the 4k and possibly HDR I'm willing to cut out.  

I really need some help and maybe a few options you guys can suggest. 

My budget currently sits around $800 possibly a little more if it truly is worth it. 

I am currently looking at:

Dell Alienware AW3418DW 34.1" UW-QHD 120Hz HDMI DP G-Sync Curved Gaming LED Monitor

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Monitor-Resolution-Overclocked/dp/B0777RY75V  (I found one on sale at my local microcenter for $764)

I have no idea whether I am cutting myself short spec wise with this considering my gpu or if this is actually good value for my money as it doesnt have HDR or 4k. I have no clue about the huge market of displays and would really like some input. Thanks in advance!

Personally i prefer 1440p over 4K atm. Main reason being the fact that you can't easily reach high fps in any games while playing in 4K. With 2080Ti you can get close, but NVlinked 2x2080Ti's are a must if you really want to reach those sweet 120fps marks. Personally I'd buy either an 1440p 144Hz etc etc. OR an ultrawide 1440p monitor with 120Hz etc etc. Personal opinion tho. You should wait for other answers too.

Echoing what Mholes said, 4k displays are kind of in a weird spot right now. High fluid gaming at 100fps or more is much more enjoyable than trying to notice the difference between 1440p and 2160p on a desktop monitor. I have a 2k and 4k monitor side by side on my desk and I can tell you the difference in clarity isn't worth the frame performance you'd be giving up by going with a 2160p display.

I would find a 1440p IPS display with Gsync, 144hz and <5ms response time and use that instead. If you want to go the ultrawide route I would check out the Acer Predator, the Asus models, or LG / Samsung. Those brands have pretty reputable displays with quality color calibration and whatnot.

Acer Predator (a little dated but still a solid pick): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011185&amp;Description=acer predator&amp;cm_re=acer_predator-_-24-011-185-_-Product

Asus (Open Box Deal): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236717R

These are a couple options, and there are going to be a bunch of new panels coming out in 2019 as well, notably from Gigabyte and LG. Good luck!

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

Thanks so much both of you! I figured what I was reading was accurate, just wanted to make sure that 4k and HDR wasn't an incredible thing I'd be missing out on. At least for now I can go with a decent monitor at a good price range and down the line when it gets more worth it invest then. 

2 hours ago, Adamt1212 said:

Thanks so much both of you! I figured what I was reading was accurate, just wanted to make sure that 4k and HDR wasn't an incredible thing I'd be missing out on. At least for now I can go with a decent monitor at a good price range and down the line when it gets more worth it invest then. 

That's a good idea, and IMO any monitor claiming to have HDR 10 right now is kind of BS. From my understanding HDR10 is really poorly optimized/implemented in windows for one, and 99% of games that claim to support it. I think mainstream high FPS 4k and HDR is still a little ways away.

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!