Sony A6000 lens suggestions?

Hi!

I just got a Sony A6000. Might be an older model, but was the only one on sale, and is great for the price.

I have the Sony 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, and a couple of batteries since the battery life is DREADFUL.

a) Does my kit lens give me actual 16-50 or do i have to include the crop factor for APS-C?

b) What are some lenses you guys suggest? (Not too expensive)

c) I've been considering the SIgma 60mm f/2.8 or the Sony 50mm f/1.8 as my first prime. What would you pick?

- Also does the Sigma give you 60mm or 90mm with crop factor?

d) Is the Sony 55-210 f/4.5-6.3 a good lens? just for those moments when i need a zoom.

e) Can someone explain which lenses I have to consider crop factor for and which ones not to?

Yeah, it's a lot of questions at once but I've no idea about E-Mount lenses :)

Aditya K. Arun / redscape photo and video.

Photography, Tech enthusiast.

500px.com/redscape_

Instagram: redscape_

1 hour ago, redscape said:

Hi!

I just got a Sony A6000. Might be an older model, but was the only one on sale, and is great for the price.

I have the Sony 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, and a couple of batteries since the battery life is DREADFUL.

a) Does my kit lens give me actual 16-50 or do i have to include the crop factor for APS-C?

b) What are some lenses you guys suggest? (Not too expensive)

c) I've been considering the SIgma 60mm f/2.8 or the Sony 50mm f/1.8 as my first prime. What would you pick?

- Also does the Sigma give you 60mm or 90mm with crop factor?

d) Is the Sony 55-210 f/4.5-6.3 a good lens? just for those moments when i need a zoom.

e) Can someone explain which lenses I have to consider crop factor for and which ones not to?

Yeah, it's a lot of questions at once but I've no idea about E-Mount lenses :)

You always have to consider the crop factor to find out what your  equivalent to 35mm FOV is going to be, so your 16-50mm gives you a 24-75mm FOV. 

I Know sigma do some nice art primes for APS-C sonys and there's always samyang's AF range, but other than that, its pretty hard shopping for crop sensor sonys, the selection is pretty limited.

What lens you should be depends on what you are shooting.   

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

12 hours ago, cc143 said:

You always have to consider the crop factor to find out what your  equivalent to 35mm FOV is going to be, so your 16-50mm gives you a 24-75mm FOV. 

I Know sigma do some nice art primes for APS-C sonys and there's always samyang's AF range, but other than that, its pretty hard shopping for crop sensor sonys, the selection is pretty limited.

What lens you should be depends on what you are shooting.   

Thanks! I was considering getting a Sony 50mm f/1.8, but found a Sony 35mmm f/1.8 (used) for 245$, which is a steal.

The 35mm effectively becomes a 50mm after crop right?  So it should be fine.

500px.com/redscape_

IIRC, the A6000 supports charging via USB. So plugging it into an external battery bank can help prolong your battery life. I'm not sure if you can have it charging while the camera is on and in use, though.

Edit: Seems like the A6000 can only be charged via USB while the camera is off. It looks like the A6300 and A6500 can be charged while the camera is on.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

On 1/17/2019 at 2:33 AM, redscape said:

Thanks! I was considering getting a Sony 50mm f/1.8, but found a Sony 35mmm f/1.8 (used) for 245$, which is a steal.

The 35mm effectively becomes a 50mm after crop right?  So it should be fine.

There is also the Sigma 30mm F1.4 which is superior optically although the Sony does have stabilisation which could be a benefit 

the 55-210 is okay nothing special but cheap and light for tele use 

instead of the 16-50 you could get the 18-105 or 18-135 which are both much sharper 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

On 1/18/2019 at 7:13 AM, YellowJersey said:

IIRC, the A6000 supports charging via USB. So plugging it into an external battery bank can help prolong your battery life. I'm not sure if you can have it charging while the camera is on and in use, though.

Edit: Seems like the A6000 can only be charged via USB while the camera is off. It looks like the A6300 and A6500 can be charged while the camera is on.

Yeah, you can't charge it while using. But is is great to charge when you're not using it via a power bank (like on a trip). It charges much faster than the included adapter (takes almost 5 hours lol)

500px.com/redscape_

On 1/18/2019 at 4:33 PM, ShadowCaptain said:

There is also the Sigma 30mm F1.4 which is superior optically although the Sony does have stabilisation which could be a benefit 

the 55-210 is okay nothing special but cheap and light for tele use 

instead of the 16-50 you could get the 18-105 or 18-135 which are both much sharper 

Yeah, the 30mm 1.4 is tack sharp with nice blur but and the body has no IBIS so until i get a gimbal I'll have to go with the OSS lenses to prevent the micro-jitters. The 18-105 seems nicer than the 18-135, and its on sale here, so might consider that as well!

500px.com/redscape_