will a MacBook Pro SE ever be a thing?

i really wish Apple would release a MacBook Pro SE type thing. a 2014 chassis with the old keyboard and trackpad, but a modern cpu. 

depending on how far back they go a 2011 or 2012 chassis would also allow for much better cooling because of the thickness. 

She/Her

Forgive my ignorance as I'm not that in tune with the Apple naming scheme, but Isn't "SE" branding for the cheaper models Apple does? Why would they do a Macbook Pro SE? Wouldn't it just be a Macbook?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

knowing apple, probably not or at a hefty premium

it might not be a premium. the iPhone SE was cheap. it makes sense to be cheap. it's older manufacturing tech... 

She/Her

Just now, Spotty said:

Forgive my ignorance as I'm not that in tune with the Apple naming scheme, but Isn't "SE" branding for the cheaper models Apple does? Why would they do a Macbook Pro SE? Wouldn't it just be a Macbook?

well the iPhone SE was a 5S chassis with modern internals AFAIK.... so it would be the same thing. use an older chassis and upgrade it. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

it might not be a premium. the iPhone SE was cheap. it makes sense to be cheap. it's older manufacturing tech... 

yeah... if you call that cheap than it might happen...

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... if you call that cheap than it might happen...

well cheap in apple terms xD 

i would love a 15" MacBook Pro for less than €2500...

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

well cheap in apple terms xD 

i would love a 15" MacBook Pro for less than €2500...

2500 dollars? i knew they were expensive, but really THAT expensive? happy that hackingtosh exists...

who knows, my crystal ball doesn't work right now.

I know a macbook se would be everyone's dream pretty much but when they are selling their thousand dollar machines just fine why should they bother?

I bought my 2012 mbp in 2012 for 800$ with student discount. Those were the days

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

No. It's their way or the highway.

Cheapest Mac is Mac mini, right? Don't see why I should care though.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

image.png.7a78e943d2988e9b321a9d5aae3989ce.png

@LukeSavenije that's the cheapest 15" MacBook Pro. €2799... and remember euro's not dollars. 

wow... i should start selling hackingtoshes

/jk

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

wow... i should start selling hackingtoshes

/jk

Serius suggestion.

Do this with Matebook 13  or Matebook X pro.

You could probably grab a 200-300$ profit on each. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Serius suggestion.

Do this with Matebook 13  or Matebook X pro.

You could probably grab a 200-300$ profit on each. 

i know i could do that with ease and have a lot of profit from it, but i don't want to get sued by apple for it

i know i could do that with ease and have a lot of profit from it, but i don't want to get sued by apple for it

That is true. 

I would market it as Apple-esque premium Laptop. 

And to allnintents and purposes its a hackintosh. What are the legalities of selling Hackintosh-es if labeled as a Hackintosh?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

That is true. 

I would market it as Apple-esque premium Laptop. 

And to allnintents and purposes its a hackintosh. What are the legalities of selling Hackintosh-es if labeled as a Hackintosh?

hackingtosh on it's own is against the ios Terms and Conditions, as you're only allowed to use it on a apple certified device (macbooks in this case), so even if i would label it as one, they would sue me like they have done before with many sellers

hackingtosh on it's own is against the ios Terms and Conditions, as you're only allowed to use it on a apple certified device (macbooks in this case), so even if i would label it as one, they would sue me like they have done before with many sellers

The best you can do is run a Apple-esque linux install. Though that isnt full experience.

There are prpbably people doing this sort of thing, but at a highly local level

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

The best you can do is run a Apple-esque linux install. Though that isnt full experience.

There are prpbably people doing this sort of thing, but at a highly local level

true. and even those have been sued before. i would do it if i were asked for it, but i wouldn't sell them as hackingtoshes. i really like the idea of this, but apple will come around it pretty quickly...

@LukeSavenije @GoldenLag AFAIK selling hackintoshes is illegal and you'll get sued into the ground by Apple if you do it. 

i know. I've seen it before... i wish it was easier to do, so not everyone would get screwed over by apple pricing

i know. I've seen it before... i wish it was easier to do, so not everyone would get screwed over by apple pricing

well there is a reason Apple can sell their devices at that price. their OS is so easy to use that it's very appealing. 

Linux is getting there but isn't supported by most software so not an option for most consumers... 

She/Her

well there is a reason Apple can sell their devices at that price. their OS is so easy to use that it's very appealing. 

Linux is getting there but isn't supported by most software so not an option for most consumers... 

well... linux is getting better and better. it's just that not that many people know about it. i can easily use something like mint or ubuntu, but the coding is too hard for me as I'm used to windows. it might just be me not familiar with macos, but i just can't really work well with it. i get why people pay for it, but it's still too much they ask for imo

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

well... linux is getting better and better. it's just that not that many people know about it. i can easily use something like mint or ubuntu, but the coding is too hard for me as I'm used to windows. it might just be me not familiar with macos, but i just can't really work well with it. i get why people pay for it, but it's still too much they ask for imo

i agree it's way too much money for a new Mac. that why i buy them used xD 

i love macOS as a laptop OS, but i dislike it as a desktop OS. the interface really comes to life on a laptop. touchpad gestures etc. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i agree it's way too much money for a new Mac. that why i buy them used xD 

i love macOS as a laptop OS, but i dislike it as a desktop OS. the interface really comes to life on a laptop. touchpad gestures etc. 

yeah... I'll use my 2011 acer travelmate which i upgraded with a mx500 and 10 gigs of ram (was laying around), and i hope they don't screw me over again on the battery, the last 3 were doa

13 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

@LukeSavenije @GoldenLag AFAIK selling hackintoshes is illegal and you'll get sued into the ground by Apple if you do it. 

Indeed. There is a reason why im not doing it. If inly you could actually get the OS.

Isnt there an old MacOS version you can install yourself?