cpu upgrade yes or no if so to what?

2 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

haha no I didn't see it. but is that the same one? but then the Intel version? how do you like it? 

and I would think that battlefield or ac or open world games are very CPU intensive so those would benefit from a ryzen 5 2600x more than my 4 core 4 processor, right? 

but then again.. mine will only do 3.9 on all cores while you can get 4.1/4.2 or even 4.3 dependent on luck with a ryzen 2600x or 2700x. so they would be better right?  

not exactly the same, but in a lot of ways it is. I really like it, but if I had to choose right now I would have picked up a z390 aorus...

those are really core intensive, so a good increase should be seen there

26 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

not exactly the same, but in a lot of ways it is. I really like it, but if I had to choose right now I would have picked up a z390 aorus...

those are really core intensive, so a good increase should be seen there

so i guess amd really is the best option. all i gotta do tho is hope that windows wont be like eh.. sorry pall this isnt your pc. #imout xD 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

Just now, hollyh88 said:

so i guess amd really is the best option. all i gotta do tho is hope that windows wont be like eh.. sorry pall this isnt your pc. #imout xD 

well... i would recommend running windows 10...

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

well... i would recommend running windows 10...

i do have windows 10 but im thinking more of the issue about me already having switched too many parts. Thus it not accepting my windows code anymore if i do the cooler motherboard and cpu all at once 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

1 minute ago, hollyh88 said:

i do have windows 10 but im thinking more of the issue about me already having switched too many parts. Thus it not accepting my windows code anymore if i do the cooler motherboard and cpu all at once 

i personally never had problems with it. but you could pair your code with your microsoft account

2 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

looked a bit into that board and it seems to be having some issues. compared to the one i mentioned. aka the b450 gaming pro carbon from msi. that would bump the price down to 340,65 from 384,65 but i dont see a huge problem in spending 40 more for the way more flushed out and better protected b450 carbon 

i hate to be annoying, but if the 2600 isnt gonna insanely bump up your effectiveness in work, you might as well wait. because when talking about the "need" of upgrading at this level, youre basically going from "mediocre" to "mediocre" (gaming wise for sure; so if ur software doesnt hugely benefit, or the tasks that would actually benefit are only 5% of your work, then is it rly worth it? just to switch platform to something that might be what you want in the future?).

Thats why I meant to express the importance of you checking the benefits of each chip in gaming and work.

Just saying, im not sure a 2600 can beat an oc'd 6600k in Witcher 3 or AC Origins etc. just FPS wise - and thats a chip that people are selling for 150€ including MB. (ofc the ryzen would be way better for streaming and multitasking)

what I mean is you should do whatever is tailored best for your use case and not get something that is in theory amazing, even if for you that means youre not really benefitting from the actual upsides the chosen option has to offer.

edit: im not saying AMD is worse / dont go AMD. Im saying dont spend that cash - at least not now if youll use the upside of Ryzen for 3% of your time. In that case u'd be spending cash (platform change) in order to be able to spend cash again so you can get what you actually wanted in the first place (a better chip for gaming from AMD).

Even if you do get a MB, Ram etc that performs amazingly, getting all those parts later when 3000 series is here, will probably get you features and performance. If none of the latter - then still your defects liability will start later, so in some way your risk will be lower for longer.

From this conversation judging, I see fit for an oc'd 7700k / 8700k / 9600k, cuz youll stick money towards gaming, which is that rigs main purpose I guess, and you already got the 212 evo - so thats a bonus too. If you go 2600 you will see nothing gaming wise (effectively) and paying 150-250 (depending on region) for upsides youre not using, only to end up (hopefully) replacing it with the actual Ryzen Chip you wanted. Moreover with Ryzen, youre (more) forced to spend big time on Ram in order to not cripple your new amazing chip.

Edited by Chris V

59 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i personally never had problems with it. but you could pair your code with your microsoft account

im going to keep that in mind thanks :D 

PC: 

34 minutes ago, Chris V said:

yeah... and I don't want to annoy you, but all game benefit differently from chips... just saying. there is a truth to what you say, but also some info that isn't fully correct

32 minutes ago, Chris V said:

i hate to be annoying, but if the 2600 isnt gonna insanely bump up your effectiveness in work, you might as well wait. because when talking about the "need" of upgrading at this level, youre basically going from "mediocre" to "mediocre" (gaming wise for sure; so if ur software doesnt hugely benefit, or the tasks that would actually benefit are only 5% of your work, then is it rly worth it? just to switch platform to something that might be what you want in the future?).

Thats why I meant to express the importance of you checking the benefits of each chip in gaming and work.

Just saying, im not sure a 2600 can beat an oc'd 6600k in Witcher 3 or AC Origins etc. just FPS wise - and thats a chip that people are selling for 150€ including MB. (ofc the ryzen would be way better for streaming and multitasking)

what I mean is you should do whatever is tailored best for your use case and not get something that is in theory amazing, even if for you that means youre not really benefitting from the actual upsides the chosen option has to offer.

well it would certainly bump up my work related tasks. and while gaming? i think so too. since like i said the cpu i have now is locked to 3900 or if i would go in the bios 4000-4100 on 1 single core. 

but that wouldnt do me much good. compare that to the ryzen which can overclock to 4.2 on all cores and well.. it would clearly push out higher numbers since games do love those higher speeds. 

the ryzen 2600x does win in most games if both the 2600x and i5 6600k havent been overclocked. but since you overclocked yours too what? 4.5?4.6? it would probably outperform an ryzen 2600x in most games. up until games will start to use more cores. as seen in battlefield that really crushed 4 core 4 thread processors. i mean the 7600 that i had could barely do 60-70 fps on 1080p (gtx 1070 sc) unless i really lowered all settings. and even then it was at 100% and struggled. battlefield 1 and 5 totally crushed that cpu lol. and well oddysey .. im sure you know the situation in that department. 

so going with more cores and threads would help me out. and i could like i showed above go for intel but that would honestly bump my costs way up there. 

PC: 

On 1/16/2019 at 12:32 PM, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... and I don't want to annoy you, but all game benefit differently from chips... just saying. there is a truth to what you say, but also some info that isn't fully correct

Yeah thats fair enough. Apart from work related software, there are also games that benefit from more cores or hyperthreading. Also your whole system is just more responsive and youre able to do more, which is amazing, even if your gaming experience remains the same for some titles. 

I didnt want to imply anything or make a bold statement like "you will never benefit from more cores, when it comes to games". Obviously thats not true :)

On 1/16/2019 at 12:36 PM, hollyh88 said:

well it would certainly bump up my work related tasks. and while gaming? i think so too. since like i said the cpu i have now is locked to 3900 or if i would go in the bios 4000-4100 on 1 single core. 

but that wouldnt do me much good. compare that to the ryzen which can overclock to 4.2 on all cores and well.. it would clearly push out higher numbers since games do love those higher speeds. 

the ryzen 2600x does win in most games if both the 2600x and i5 6600k havent been overclocked. but since you overclocked yours too what? 4.5?4.6? it would probably outperform an ryzen 2600x in most games. up until games will start to use more cores. as seen in battlefield that really crushed 4 core 4 thread processors. i mean the 7600 that i had could barely do 60-70 fps on 1080p (gtx 1070 sc) unless i really lowered all settings. and even then it was at 100% and struggled. battlefield 1 and 5 totally crushed that cpu lol. and well oddysey .. im sure you know the situation in that department. 

so going with more cores and threads would help me out. and i could like i showed above go for intel but that would honestly bump my costs way up there. 

I OC'd my 6600k to 4.4 once but had that maybe for like a week. It was easily stable but still its been running stock settings for about 2-3 years, cuz frankly it performs well enough for me like that. The option to oc is cool and all, but tbh maybe a 6600 and now an 8700 wouldve made me happier. At least since here the 8700 is about the price of the 2700x. Probably Id still think about whether 2700x or 8700 in that scenario, but the really annoying part is that I cant just swap out my 6600k for a coffee lake chip since for some reason it just aint compatible. Theres always some darn thing that "prevents" that from being possible.

AMD on the other hand guarantees compatibility at least for some years, which is amazing. Im a total fan. I think the 2600x is an amazing chip, youll be able to upgrade, youll save money as well and it seems youre content with this solution - which is what this whole talk was about :)

8 hours ago, Chris V said:

I OC'd my 6600k to 4.4 once but had that maybe for like a week. It was easily stable but still its been running stock settings for about 2-3 years, cuz frankly it performs well enough for me like that. The option to oc is cool and all, but tbh maybe a 6600 and now an 8700 wouldve made me happier. At least since here the 8700 is about the price of the 2700x. Probably Id still think about whether 2700x or 8700 in that scenario, but the really annoying part is that I cant just swap out my 6600k for a coffee lake chip since for some reason it just aint compatible. Theres always some darn thing that "prevents" that from being possible.

AMD on the other hand guarantees compatibility at least for some years, which is amazing. Im a total fan. I think the 2600x is an amazing chip, youll be able to upgrade, youll save money as well and it seems youre content with this solution - which is what this whole talk was about :)

really 4.4? i thought it would be able to hit that or higher. but yeah. going with a ryzen at 4.2 or 4.3 if i hit the lottery wouldnt be bad either. 

and its indeed compatible enough to which i can easily switch to a 2rd (which is actually 3rd gen) later when those come out. i mean if those leaks are true damm those clock speeds look great. i would than easily go for a 3600x i mean 220 bucks for one that can go 4.8 turbo? so easily 5.0 on all cores oc? sounds too good to be true but if it is true.. that would 100% ruin intel lol. 

but for now.. i think that a b450 mobo with a hyper 212 evo and a 2600x would do fine :) no need to do some weird bios shit with the 450 mobos either. like i had to do when i switched from my old cpu the i5 6500 to the i5 7600. 

PC: 

On 1/17/2019 at 3:09 AM, hollyh88 said:

really 4.4? i thought it would be able to hit that or higher. but yeah. going with a ryzen at 4.2 or 4.3 if i hit the lottery wouldnt be bad either. 

and its indeed compatible enough to which i can easily switch to a 2rd (which is actually 3rd gen) later when those come out. i mean if those leaks are true damm those clock speeds look great. i would than easily go for a 3600x i mean 220 bucks for one that can go 4.8 turbo? so easily 5.0 on all cores oc? sounds too good to be true but if it is true.. that would 100% ruin intel lol. 

but for now.. i think that a b450 mobo with a hyper 212 evo and a 2600x would do fine :) no need to do some weird bios shit with the 450 mobos either. like i had to do when i switched from my old cpu the i5 6500 to the i5 7600. 

i think 4.5-4.7 should be easily possible, but i was just too lazy because I didnt really need it to OC. So the numbers you had in mind in the first place are average I would say. 

Im really with you on the AMD hype train haha. if those turn out to be true Ill get one as well. Even if the true performance will be lower than what these leaks suggest. 

And I also agree with the MB. Personally Id also just want my stuff to be as hassle free as possible.

one other thing if I may ask: do you know any AIO cooler that has a switchable socket, like a modular product? Id wanna spend a fair amount, but not if its LGA 1151 only and then I can basically hammer my head on the table 1-2 years down the road haha

Im interested in it, for the reduction in noise

On 1/17/2019 at 10:13 AM, Chris V said:

one other thing if I may ask: do you know any AIO cooler that has a switchable socket, like a modular product? Id wanna spend a fair amount, but not if its LGA 1151 only and then I can basically hammer my head on the table 1-2 years down the road haha

Im interested in it, for the reduction in noise

i havent exactly used water coolers because i see no use for them. air coolers are usually way cheaper and very good even at low budget.  mean i am staying with the cooler master hyper 212 evo. but you need the black edition for am4 mother boards. thus i am having that one. but that one can be switched between lga 1151 or like i said am4. and i personally on my i5 7600 never seen it hit 60 degrees. only max 55 degrees. i would say that that is the best affordable air cooler. so i see no reason to use a water cooler. unless you really wanne run hot cpu's and oc them to the max. but that isnt needed at all in most cases. 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, Chris V said:

i think 4.5-4.7 should be easily possible, but i was just too lazy because I didnt really need it to OC. So the numbers you had in mind in the first place are average I would say. 

Im really with you on the AMD hype train haha. if those turn out to be true Ill get one as well. Even if the true performance will be lower than what these leaks suggest. 

And I also agree with the MB. Personally Id also just want my stuff to be as hassle free as possible.

yeah nvidia has the graphics department on lock but intel is slowly losing to amd more and more. i will definitely switch to a 3600x if those numbers are correct. It looks amazing. ill then just sell the 2600x for about 120. :) 

oh lol the 2600x just litterally dropped in price to 195 from 220:D i mean if thats not a sign that i should buy it or not.. 

PC: 

8 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

oh lol the 2600x just litterally dropped in price to 195 from 220:D i mean if thats not a sign that i should buy it or not.. 

go for it haha ! enjoy your new chip :)

57 minutes ago, Chris V said:

go for it haha ! enjoy your new chip :)

yeah bought it :) 360 euro for an overclockable motherboard + cpu + cooler is not bad at all :D 

PC: 

19 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

yeah bought it :) 360 euro for an overclockable motherboard + cpu + cooler is not bad at all :D 

amazing :D youre bringing me in real temptation now too haha

On 1/18/2019 at 7:39 AM, Chris V said:

amazing :D youre bringing me in real temptation now too haha

i am thus far amazed. it was a bit of a hazzle getting my old mobo out and putting in the new one. But everything works. all is updated and damm does it run soo much better. just overal on the internet. and even gaming is smoother. And i have 100+ fps on battlefield 1 with no frame drops :D and my cpu isnt even close to 50% while my i5 7600 was at 90/100% overal a perfect stepup. ;) 

and the ryzen master program is so easy. i overclocked all cores to 4.1 and it runs inbetween 60/70 degrees while gaming and while youtube and doing other stuff around 40 so im also happy with this cooler :)

its your choice whether you want to upgrade but i find it better than my i5 7600 :D 

PC: 

On 1/18/2019 at 8:52 AM, hollyh88 said:

i am thus far amazed. it was a bit of a hazzle getting my old mobo out and putting in the new one. But everything works. all is updated and damm does it run soo much better. just overal on the internet. and even gaming is smoother. And i have 100+ fps on battlefield 1 with no frame drops :D and my cpu isnt even close to 50% while my i5 7600 was at 90/100% overal a perfect stepup. ;) 

and the ryzen master program is so easy. i overclocked all cores to 4.1 and it runs inbetween 60/70 degrees while gaming and while youtube and doing other stuff around 40 so im also happy with this cooler :)

damn im really tempted now haha. So glad you came to an amazing result! I thought about turning my 6600k build into a hackintosh kinda thing and go for a mini itx ryzen build. Since you probably did more research on performance of Ryzen 2000 series: How do 2600/2600x/2700/2700x compare gaming and oc wise? Id be kinda torn between going all out 2700x or just 1600 and chill until ryzen 3000 series haha.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:53 AM, hollyh88 said:

its your choice whether you want to upgrade but i find it better than my i5 7600 :D 

true that, I wanted to build a hackintosh for quite a while already though, so idk ... haha maybe sooner than later

On 1/18/2019 at 9:01 AM, Chris V said:

damn im really tempted now haha. So glad you came to an amazing result! I thought about turning my 6600k build into a hackintosh kinda thing and go for a mini itx ryzen build. Since you probably did more research on performance of Ryzen 2000 series: How do 2600/2600x/2700/2700x compare gaming and oc wise? Id be kinda torn between going all out 2700x or just 1600 and chill until ryzen 3000 series haha.

well more difference between the 1600 and 2600 ofc. but x series are known to overclock better than the non x versions as far as ive seen, due to more tdp being available. and the 2700x ofc is better than the 2600x however a 2600x will do you just as great. the only sad part is the memory ram speeds that effect fps i have mine at 2400 now but 3200 is the sweet spot. so i need to upgrade that too. 

But other than that and them running a bit hotter than intel.. all is fine. if you are going for one of those 4 pick the same one as mine :) more is not needed. the 2700x is more expensive and only really has 0.1ghz boost clock more. 4,3 instead of 4,2. all you gotta do is get the 2600x and a x470 or b450 mobo and wait for the 3000 series too come in about 4 months if lucky. which is my plan :) 

just had my first crash on 4,2ghz so im skipping that one for now ^^ 4.1 on all cores is fine enough anyway. 

PC: 

56 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

just had my first crash on 4,2ghz so im skipping that one for now ^^ 4.1 on all cores is fine enough anyway. 

agreed

1 hour ago, hollyh88 said:

well more difference between the 1600 and 2600 ofc. but x series are known to overclock better than the non x versions as far as ive seen, due to more tdp being available. and the 2700x ofc is better than the 2600x however a 2600x will do you just as great. the only sad part is the memory ram speeds that effect fps i have mine at 2400 now but 3200 is the sweet spot. so i need to upgrade that too. 

But other than that and them running a bit hotter than intel.. all is fine. if you are going for one of those 4 pick the same one as mine :) more is not needed. the 2700x is more expensive and only really has 0.1ghz boost clock more. 4,3 instead of 4,2. all you gotta do is get the 2600x and a x470 or b450 mobo and wait for the 3000 series too come in about 4 months if lucky. which is my plan :) 

alright, thank you :) (i did mean 2600 not 1600, sry for that)

maybe ill just get an AIO that is compatible with lga 1151 and am4 and just push the 6600k to its limit until 3000 series is out.. hmmm

21 hours ago, Chris V said:

agreed

alright, thank you :) (i did mean 2600 not 1600, sry for that)

maybe ill just get an AIO that is compatible with lga 1151 and am4 and just push the 6600k to its limit until 3000 series is out.. hmmm

you could do that too. :) but i can already tell how much better ryzen is lol. people often say "well for gamers intel is the choice" but forget that a gamer also has lots of apps in the background. and discord and skype and maybe even google chrome. thus ryzen is way better :) 

PC: 

3 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

you could do that too. :) but i can already tell how much better ryzen is lol. people often say "well for gamers intel is the choice" but forget that a gamer also has lots of apps in the background. and discord and skype and maybe even google chrome. thus ryzen is way better :) 

yeah I mean right now when I have animated wallpapers, vpn, steam, synapse, chrome, TS3 + overlay and league of legends (with some customization apps) open, I do notice the stock 6600k getting to its limits, as the game has more drastic ups and downs in fps, compared to nothing being open in the background. 

+ at 1440p with more intense games, my 1070 will be the bottleneck anyway, but LOL would run at 200 frames with any of those cpus, since my 6600k also is able to deliver that (should I ever go for a 140-165 hz monitor). Its the only game I play competitively.

+ even the non k 8700 is more expensive than the 2700x

Im really so tempted right now haha. Im doing a new table, complete new setup very soon and a mini ryzen with my 1070 would be the dream haha. Maybe in sth like a crystal 280x case... ahh the dreams

50 minutes ago, Chris V said:

yeah I mean right now when I have animated wallpapers, vpn, steam, synapse, chrome, TS3 + overlay and league of legends (with some customization apps) open, I do notice the stock 6600k getting to its limits, as the game has more drastic ups and downs in fps, compared to nothing being open in the background. 

+ at 1440p with more intense games, my 1070 will be the bottleneck anyway, but LOL would run at 200 frames with any of those cpus, since my 6600k also is able to deliver that (should I ever go for a 140-165 hz monitor). Its the only game I play competitively.

+ even the non k 8700 is more expensive than the 2700x

Im really so tempted right now haha. Im doing a new table, complete new setup very soon and a mini ryzen with my 1070 would be the dream haha. Maybe in sth like a crystal 280x case... ahh the dreams

i have a pretty dumb looking case. heck i cant even see my pc. it is in its own packet on the bottom right of the desk. 

however.. i do want to maybe empty my desk cut some of the wooden boards off and make it so that it can stand on there ;) but i still have the subwoofer of my katana x sound bar on it as well.. gotta find some space for that too ;) 

but anyhow.. yes you are far better of getting a 2600x or a 2700x and selling that i5 6600k because yes. you see... us gamers have allot of stuff open. youtube benchmarks are never that realistic. they always say intel is the best for gamers.. but is it? a 4 core 4 thread cpu just isnt gonna cut it you know. nor is a 6 core 6 thread like the i5 9600k. sure it can achieve higher single core performance.. but for a gamer? with lots of stuff open in the back ground? i dont think so. its going to have serious 1% lows. 

and yea i had a evga gtx 1070 sc. tried it out today with the 2600x and damm even then it could perform soo good. even non overclocked. 

if i were you.. just get the msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac and a 2600x with a water or air cooler. and you will be good to go. as soon as the 3000 series comes out you can upgrade or not. :)i have found that it does run a bit more hot the ryzen but i have an air cooled so thats to be expected. :) nothing too crazy tho 60-70 degrees while at 4 or 4.1 on all cores is decent for an air cooler :)

PC: 

On 1/19/2019 at 8:29 PM, hollyh88 said:

i have a pretty dumb looking case. heck i cant even see my pc. it is in its own packet on the bottom right of the desk. 

however.. i do want to maybe empty my desk cut some of the wooden boards off and make it so that it can stand on there ;) but i still have the subwoofer of my katana x sound bar on it as well.. gotta find some space for that too ;) 

but anyhow.. yes you are far better of getting a 2600x or a 2700x and selling that i5 6600k because yes. you see... us gamers have allot of stuff open. youtube benchmarks are never that realistic. they always say intel is the best for gamers.. but is it? a 4 core 4 thread cpu just isnt gonna cut it you know. nor is a 6 core 6 thread like the i5 9600k. sure it can achieve higher single core performance.. but for a gamer? with lots of stuff open in the back ground? i dont think so. its going to have serious 1% lows. 

and yea i had a evga gtx 1070 sc. tried it out today with the 2600x and damm even then it could perform soo good. even non overclocked. 

if i were you.. just get the msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac and a 2600x with a water or air cooler. and you will be good to go. as soon as the 3000 series comes out you can upgrade or not. :)i have found that it does run a bit more hot the ryzen but i have an air cooled so thats to be expected. :) nothing too crazy tho 60-70 degrees while at 4 or 4.1 on all cores is decent for an air cooler :)

hey there, Im ultra busy until friday, Imma answer later this week

greetings :)

On 1/22/2019 at 12:44 PM, Chris V said:

hey there, Im ultra busy until friday, Imma answer later this week

greetings :)

thats fine :)

PC: