Are women the 1% of tech?

LukeLinusFanFic
On 1/16/2019 at 5:21 AM, Princess Cadence said:

Yay I'm the 1%

I'll take a small load of a million dollars plz

On 1/16/2019 at 6:55 AM, GoldenLag said:

You are royalty. You were allready the 1%.

I guess this means you are the 0,01%

Of course she's royalty, she's a princess!

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Of course she's royalty, she's a princess!

cant you Proclaim a Kingdom and make yourself an heir quite easily. at least unnofficially. 

i know very well the feeling of being a minority in nerd culture. being called swedish 80% of the time is a pain. 

/s

well i think there might be exceptions but in general id still assume that 99% of techy people are still  male.

i noticed the most while my time in college where 3 classes of programmers had one odd-ball girl meanwhile the web-design classes it was the other way around.

now at my actual office though i was kind of surprised by the amount of women in my department. programming teams are still 100% men but software testing and GUI are quite evenly split between men and women although i cant imagine the women here dreamt of their jobs i think most of them just kinda cross migrated from other jobs.

in my personal life i have not found a single women yet that shares my level of enthusiasm for tech or engineering or programming or gaming and honestly i dont think thats really neccessary but still a valid observation.

the last time i shared those interests with a girl was back in i believe around 2000 ish maybe when i played pokemon red vs yellow on the gameboy via link cable with the neighbours daughter everyday. then puberty hit and interests drifted apart :D

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I like that women are the minority in tech because I don´t have to deal with them as much. I highly prefer working with other males. 

22 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

i noticed the most while my time in college where 3 classes of programmers had one odd-ball girl meanwhile the web-design classes it was the other way around.

I estimate that 30% in my CS classes are women. I noticed that slowly more and more women now study it compared to a few years ago. 

Just now, Teddy07 said:

I estimate that 30% in my CS classes are women. I noticed that slowly more and more women now study it compared to a few years ago. 

granted i started college in 2009 soo maybe the landscape has changed

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

On 1/16/2019 at 5:08 AM, RejZoR said:

Every time people start bitching over men domination in certain fields I can't stop to think about all the shitty male dominated jobs and how no one ever bitches about lack of women there. You know, deep earth mining, garbage collection, construction, road works, sewer maintenance, high voltage powerlines maintenance, remote oil rigs, fishing out in freezing cold oceans, logging, all the back breaking hard and nasty shit done pretty much exclusively by men and no one EVER complains over that. Not enough women in cozy air conditioned offices? STOP THE WORLD THIS MOMENT, WE NEED TO ADDRESS THIS DISPARITY RIGHT NOW! It's straight revolting and I can't fucking shut up about it every time someone brings this idiocy up. You'll find pretty much the same reply from me on each and every one of them. And I'll continue doing this until people shut up about it or make sure that women also have equal representation in those jobs. Until they will, shut the hell up with this retarded virtue signaling. I'm all for equality and everything, but this really blows up my kettle...

Women who want to work in tech fields are probably already working there. No one is stopping them and there are many that are incredible electrical engineers, astronauts, racing drivers, programmers or whatever. But they invested their time and hard work to achieve it. They didn't ask anything to be handed over to them just because they are women. They worked just as hard as any man and now they have those titles. Some probably even more because they wanted to prove themselves. Which is no different when men enter women dominated jobs and want to prove they are not only as qualified but more. It often has nothing to do with higher requirements, it has a lot to do with self motivation and determination to prove everyone around that they are better and more capable because of the given gender disparity. But if you start your career as gender studies student and then bitch about gender disparity in tech, then YOU are the problem, not the industries.

You lost me at “Gender disparity in tech”. Because women are treated poorly in the E-sports community. There are horror stories about great female players who had to drop out of tournaments due to negative online feedback. Decent argument otherwise. I work in the oil patch and I can tell you that I wouldn’t want to be a female around oil patch workers. They can say nasty stuff behind females. 

But overall I can’t take you seriously at all because you bash gender studies. That’s such a lowball conservative move. Gender studies is comparable to history, sociology and history combined. It’s nowhere near as extreme as the internet conservatives make it seem. It’s actually a valid discipline to learn. At the very least you’ll obtain tremendous writing and argumentative skills and learn about history. 

"Lowball conservative move." From a freaking left leaning centrist that I am. Give me a F break...

Women are treated poorly? Guess what, so are men. People are known to be dicks to other people, gender independent. It starts in the kindergarten already, just ask any kid that's ginger, fat or with glasses. But men are just expected to suck it up and shut up about it, otherwise they are called pussies by other men and made fun by women about "male fragility" just like thing exploded like a year or two ago. But if woman is treated poorly, lets stop the world again, because woman is being treated poorly, oh noes. Men say mean things about women? I hope you ever heard what mean backstabbing bitches women can be. Men are amateurs compared to them. And those testimonials came from women themselves, not from me...

42 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Because women are treated poorly in the E-sports community.

um.... im shure there are, but is it really that out of the question that pretty much everyone gets hated on in gaming? i mean, ive done some top 500 games (europe) and people get quite toxic at times. especially when they get called out on it. 

43 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

There are horror stories about great female players who had to drop out of tournaments due to negative online feedback.

can you point to an example. i personally havent heard of anyone , though that is possibly just me not keeping up with the news.

i just hope you arent reffering to the guy who pretended to be a girl for various reasons.

@RejZoRi think you forgot to quote. but yes. gaming is a toxic community as soon as something is at stake. which is why i play super silly games for fun, even though i have some potential for higher level games

Well you can state that it would be recommended to have certain area's at certain ages where its almost stricly male or female. A bit like the old idea of single gender classrooms. Not from a woman are less statement but from the view of safety/growth educational.. by now most people seem to grasp that while males and females are perfectly suited to perform the same roles the way, the perceivement can quite differ based on biological differences. 

and of course with how the world has been evolving from, lets say the 50's, its quite normal to have less woman in tech/construction and even the military from a evolution standpoint alone. That being it was perceived as jobs woman weren't qualified enough in a physical way or the lack of stimulating logical thinking processes with girls. Even today these standards are more or less a valid point, with girls being, again from a biological standpoint more interested raised in different educational/job scenes then guys.

Just now, Christiaan21-03 said:

Even today these standards are more or less a valid point, with girls being, again from a biological standpoint more interested raised in different educational/job scenes then guys.

or at least have had a long cultural and historical tradition within the field. 

i mean, the modern world isnt very old. things have shifted rapidly

12 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

did you read the first paragraph? there is more to a story than a headline

[Update, 1/8/2019] According to The Washington Post, the “Ellie” account was a hoax by a male player, with a claim made that it was done as “kind of a social experiment.” You can read the full Post investigation into these events.

im not saying the gaming community isnt toxic. but this is classic elitist behavior. you see this in the speedrunner community all the time. its not limited to women, and there will allways be those people who are rude to women because they are women, but from my experience, they are rude to everyone. so while i can deny the actions of some people. this example is awful 

12 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

@GoldenLag

Check this link out: 

also

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

i just hope you arent reffering to the guy who pretended to be a girl for various reasons.

that article is exactly what i reffered to here. i tried to make you not fall for the trap you set yourself up, but if i havent missinterpreted you, you just fell for it...........

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

or at least have had a long cultural and historical tradition within the field. 

i mean, the modern world isnt very old. things have shifted rapidly

I laughed my ass of when i read how at the start of the Roman public there were public rules specific about how to treat your wife as a husband… I believe some curfew rules, don't go outside when it is dark to that you were only allowed to physically abuse your wife when adultry was at play..Also a couple of rules that will make a westerner think of the old muslimic habits… Its already thought that both Christianity and the Islam were offsprings of the roman national belief set.. maybe a bit spurred with the dividing of the entire empire and the wars that followed leading to the downfall of Roma 

14 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

there is so much nonsense about this article.. Last i read was that the involved player wasn't even female, apparently it was an earlier banned top tier player who had help from a girl 

1 minute ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

there is so much nonsense about this article.. Last i read was that the involved player wasn't even female, apparently it was an earlier banned top tier player who had help from a girl 

i mean its stated in the first paragraph...... people need to read what they post. 

the sceptisism around the character was there because of elitist behavior. noone comes unseen into a team like that. Doesnt help that the unnoticed player doesnt state their name and is female. This reaction is classic elitist community reaction, ask the speedrunning community how often this has happened.

5 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Its already thought that both Christianity and the Islam were offsprings of the roman national belief set.. maybe a bit spurred with the dividing of the entire empire and the wars that followed leading to the downfall of Roma 

the divide between Chrisitanity and Islam doesnt stem from Rome...... where do you get this from? i dont want to get into details. 

6 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

um.... im shure there are, but is it really that out of the question that pretty much everyone gets hated on in gaming? i mean, ive done some top 500 games (europe) and people get quite toxic at times. especially when they get called out on it. 

Well it is one of the reasons I kept my gender here ambiguous for the first 2ish years and even in games I don't reveal my gender at all because of how I get treated. 

Yes there are always toxic people but the type of toxicity I've experienced before and after people found out is like night and day. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

43 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the divide between Chrisitanity and Islam doesnt stem from Rome...... where do you get this from? i dont want to get into details. 

It is just a pretty basic view about how Roma ended and when both Islam and Christianity really gained ground outside of the obvious similarities and in teachings and books/

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Well it is one of the reasons I kept my gender here ambiguous for the first 2ish years and even in games I don't reveal my gender at all because of how I get treated. 

Yes there are always toxic people but the type of toxicity I've experienced before and after people found out is like night and day. 

i dont have too much insight. but i really understand why some choose to keep their gender seperate. even from my point of view ive seen people change. what ive seen isnt exactly harrasment, but its small changes. 

im nolonger very socially active online, so im speaking from when i played in more competetive settings a while back. also everything was conveyed in VC so it was pretty obvious from the get-go who people were. 

Just now, Christiaan21-03 said:

It is just a pretty basic view about how Roma ended and when both Islam and Christianity really gained ground outside of the obvious similarities and in teachings and books/

you reffering to the eastern orthodox church and catholic church split?

9 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

@Christiaan21-03 don't generalize the actions of a country as how the entire religion(s) work.

Where did you get that idea? Rise and Fall of Rome, huns , inner strife, the acceptance of Christianity blablabla, nothing more :) 

9 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

you reffering to the eastern orthodox church and catholic church split?

no just the roman empire

26 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Where did you get that idea? Rise and Fall of Rome, huns , inner strife, the acceptance of Christianity blablabla, nothing more :) 

no just the roman empire

Im question-ing where you got your idea from.........