Confused about hard drives please help

Go to solution Solved by TrigrH,
5 minutes ago, Eclipsefang said:

soo I dont know how to put this but I want to store alot of photos and videos for my small business and I think running a raid in my pc is a good choice only problem is I don't know if I should be using Nas hard drives like Segates Iron Wolf or if even running a raid in the pc is a bad Idea. What do you guys think I should do??

Honestly I would avoid raid, most hard drives will show signs of failure before actually being completely dead, making file recovery possible. You can always buy larger drives too! How much space do you need?

soo I dont know how to put this but I want to store alot of photos and videos for my small business and I think running a raid in my pc is a good choice only problem is I don't know if I should be using Nas hard drives like Segates Iron Wolf or if even running a raid in the pc is a bad Idea. What do you guys think I should do??

5 minutes ago, Eclipsefang said:

Honestly I would avoid raid, most hard drives will show signs of failure before actually being completely dead, making file recovery possible. You can always buy larger drives too! How much space do you need?

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

about 3TB I think honestly i don't know what signs to look for (dying hard drive)

Edited by Eclipsefang
clarifying

I personally would avoid RAID.  At least for raid 1, there is no universal file system and should your pc break, it could add an additional layer of headache to ensure your raid volume works on another pc.

23 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Just buy a decent 4 or 6tb drive and call it a day :)

If you really want a backup, get a second drive and either do backups manually or with software.

what are signs that your hard drive is about to fail?

If you avoid raid you can still get good capacity with larger drives. Western Digital has 6tb Black drive which is a part of there performance drive. Plus it is plug and play no need to setup partitions and raid software,