8700k idle temps 20 degrees higher over night

PhilJongBoom

So I upgraded to a new motherboard and was running my 8700k at 5ghz with awesome temps like 80 max. The next day I noticed that my idle temps after boot are staying around 70 degrees. So I cleared cmos and reset all the bios settings to stock and I'm still sitting at 55-60 degrees idle when I used to get 29-33 idle. I've tried everything. New thermal paste application twice, again all stock speeds same results. I even threw a hyper 212 on it and still 55-60. Is it possible that I did any damage to it because of the high overclock? It hasn't had an effect on benchmark performance, just high temps. Any ideas? Also the new mobo is an asus maximus hero XI. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

a hyper 212 is not the cooler you need for a 8700k..... 

My bad I didn't mention I'm using an H115i. I just threw the 212 on there to make sure it wasn't pump failure. 

4 minutes ago, TheWiseGuy said:

Is it hot in your room?

No, about 70 degrees or so. Like I said it just randomly spiked I've had this rig for about 6 months, upgraded the mobo last week, then the next day I get the idle spikes. I've always had great temps before this. 

3 minutes ago, PhilJongBoom said:

My bad I didn't mention I'm using an H115i. I just threw the 212 on there to make sure it wasn't pump failure. 

What's the water temp of the loop? iCUE / Corsair Link should tell you.

What setting do you have the pump on?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

What's the water temp of the loop? iCUE / Corsair Link should tell you.

38 degrees

4 minutes ago, PhilJongBoom said:

38 degrees

What motherboard did you switch to?

With the overclock, did you leave the voltage on auto or set it yourself?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

check bios, is voltage set to auto?

Everything is on auto since I reset to stock since this happened. 

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

What motherboard did you switch to?

With the overclock, did you leave the voltage on auto or set it yourself?

Its the asus maximus hero XI. I had the voltage at 1.35

1 minute ago, PhilJongBoom said:

Its the asus maximus hero XI. I had the voltage at 1.35

Interesting.

My 8700K idles at 30-35c with a H100i Pro. I've got it set to 4.8GHz 1.235v. I remember it getting a bit warmer when I had it at 5GHz 1.275v, but never that hot.

Try disabling turbo boost stuff in the BIOS to see if that helps at all.

Are your sure the system is at idle and there aren't any processes or Windows updates running in the background?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are your sure the system is at idle and there aren't any processes or Windows updates running in the background?

Yes, on HWinfo I’m at 1-2% cpu utilization. Not sure if it’s correlated but for some reason task manager is reporting 100% utilization all the time, without any listed programs taking near that. HWinfo and intel extreme tuner both report 1-2% usage at the same time task manager is reporting 100%. This also started randomly atvtge sane time. 

15 hours ago, PhilJongBoom said:

Yes, on HWinfo I’m at 1-2% cpu utilization. Not sure if it’s correlated but for some reason task manager is reporting 100% utilization all the time, without any listed programs taking near that. HWinfo and intel extreme tuner both report 1-2% usage at the same time task manager is reporting 100%. This also started randomly atvtge sane time. 

Seems like a registry or Windows update issue. Task Manager might be counting system idle percentage into the total. 

Are you up to date with Windows updates?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.