Intel buying out AMD rumors

Fasauceome

hostile takeover not happening

think there is a bunch of lost in translation going on here

Forget Intel buying AMD; how about we start a new more realistic rumour with intel interested in buying radeon, or RTG as its now known?

1 hour ago, System32.exe said:

The EU has zero power to stop this, Intel will laugh all the way to the bank while getting slapped with a pathetic fine that gets easily covered by a single quarter's earnings.

They do because any acquisition of business assets and operations being conducted in the UE have to be approved by the EU, the EU can also deny access in to the EU market if by some magic you could get around that. Losing over half your market isn't exactly a good business option to buy out a competing company just to have some nice tech they have.

And even then shareholders of either company could block the sale, there are so many different ways the sale could (would) be blocked it's just never going to happen. Buying out RTG and making it a subsidiary of Intel with agreement of supply to AMD as part of the sale is the only likely, however small that is, buyout that could happen.

4 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Forget Intel buying AMD; how about we start a new more realistic rumour with intel interested in buying radeon?

Even more realistic, Coke buys AMD, makes them uber successful, then Pepsi buys Intel in retaliation.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And even then shareholders of either company could block the sale

Pretty sure that by the time the EU Commission has to agree to anything the shareholders did it beforehand so "even then" is not necessary in that sentence :D

I am now analysing the Disney-Fox deal because it's an interesting read and apparently regulators from 15 countries had to approve that sale, holy shit. Talk about "so many different ways it could go wrong".

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

30 minutes ago, leadeater said:

They do because any acquisition of business assets and operations being conducted in the UE have to be approved by the EU, the EU can also deny access in to the EU market if by some magic you could get around that. Losing over half your market isn't exactly a good business option to buy out a competing company just to have some nice tech they have.

And even then shareholders of either company could block the sale, there are so many different ways the sale could (would) be blocked it's just never going to happen. Buying out RTG and making it a subsidiary of Intel with agreement of supply to AMD as part of the sale is the only likely, however small that is, buyout that could happen.

Fair enough. I admittedly don't know a lot about this stuff. ?

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

if something like this were to happen not only would it break the US antitrust law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_antitrust_law) (and similar laws in other countries)

it would also cause a HUGE price hike on intel and amd CPU's as a result, causing almost every computer based on an x64 archterchture to be so expensive that consumers and business alike can't afford them anymore causing every computer manufacturer to pull out causing a HUGE void that can't be filled in, causing computers to be EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE, causing even more computer manufacturers to pull out and with the cycle beginning again. it would become so bad that the worlds economic system would literary crash like how it does in the movies and causing mass panic and maybe a second great depression that may last for a long time.

(maybe not how it is shown in the movies but you get my point, it could be really bad)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

shows us that in 5...damn where will we be.

Probably not much further than we are now. In about 5 - 10 years, the focus will again shift to memory improvements.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

They do because any acquisition of business assets and operations being conducted in the UE have to be approved by the EU, the EU can also deny access in to the EU market if by some magic you could get around that.

If we assume that Intel has acquired AMD, then the Intel/AMD partnership would become the only real supplier of x86 chips. Are you really posing the idea that the EU would actually ban the sale of the x86 processors?

If the EU went to ban the processors, the partnership would stop selling them to the EU government. That affects all sorts of things, the least of which would be their collective militaries. If they go so far as to completely ban their import, they would also be preventing NATO allies from using PC Compatible devices in their borders, which would strain their alliance with the Non EU nations.

I believe that the EU would claim they would ban the import/sale of the devices, and then never actually do it.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

If we assume that Intel has acquired AMD, then the Intel/AMD partnership would become the only real supplier of x86 chips. Are you really posing the idea that the EU would actually ban the sale of the x86 processors?

Well of course not, because that's just as illogical as the sale ever actually getting approved. Silly ideas get silly answers ?

3 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Again, I have to know, is it even legal?

intel_legal.png.a8a7c4459d469d6e3c1a90dc614cb177.png

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. If this actually happens I'll drink a bottle of hot sauce or drill press my gpu or something. If anyone call me out. Which they wont. Because this wont happen. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. If this actually happens I'll drink a bottle of hot sauce or drill press my gpu or something. 

I'll hold you to that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

With all the people leaving AMD's GPU division for Intel, practically feels like they are.

It would actually make sense to buy their gpu division as it would allow them to use their patents. The problem they have know is creating a gpu that doesn't infringe on an nvidia or AMD gpu patent. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

The problem they have know is creating a gpu that doesn't infringe on an nvidia or AMD gpu patent. 

Given their integrated graphics solution has not yet had that problem, I feel like they have a decent handle on that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

I would love to see the EU refuse to allow them to sell in their market. If this merger happened then that would pretty much kill the EU's digital foot print. They might not feel it for a few years, but once things started getting dated and the rest of the world was enjoying new cpu/gpus it would be a nightmare. Companies would be forced to the cloud instead of having the ability to purchase and build out their own servers. They wouldn't be able to lease or purchase new laptop/workstations so they would need to recycle older machines and then hit the used market to acquire more...

Ya, let the EU ban them from selling in the country. That would be a real smart choice.

Just now, fasauceome said:

Given their integrated graphics solution has not yet had that problem, I feel like they have a decent handle on that.

Seeing as their integrated graphics are trash I would have to disagree. If they want to make gpus capable of delivering good gaming performance it will be extremely difficult to do so without infringing on nvidia and AMD patents. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Seeing as their integrated graphics are trash I would have to disagree. If they want to make gpus capable of delivering good gaming performance it will be extremely difficult to do so without infringing on nvidia and AMD patents. 

Actually the engineers were talking about an idea to combine existing intel graphics technology to increase graphics power so if they can scale their current GPU design they're good to go.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I would love to see the EU refuse to allow them to sell in their market. If this merger happened then that would pretty much kill the EU's digital foot print. They might not feel it for a few years, but once things started getting dated and the rest of the world was enjoying new cpu/gpus it would be a nightmare. Companies would be forced to the cloud instead of having the ability to purchase and build out their own servers. They wouldn't be able to lease or purchase new laptop/workstations so they would need to recycle older machines and then hit the used market to acquire more...

Ya, let the EU ban them from selling in the country. That would be a real smart choice.

You have to think about it from a money perspective. Intel won't gain enough from acquiring AMD to justify not being able to sell to the EU. At the end of the day businesses care about profit and keeping stock holders happy. The situation where the EU restricts the sales of their products in the EU would hurt both of those. 

12 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Actually the engineers were talking about an idea to combine existing intel graphics technology to increase graphics power so if they can scale their current GPU design they're good to go.

I guess I will have to see it to believe it because their current integrated graphics even when they have alot of compute power they still preform poorly in games. 

5 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

That is beginning not to be the case as ARM has started it's march into the PC market, and in the coming years (may) present real challenges to both Intel and AMD.

Theres only 3 players in the x86 market with the third realistically non-existent. ARM only competes with Android and chrome books etc. 

5 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Again, I have to know, is it even legal?

No. Between the two of them, you have virtually 100% of PC/server processor market share. Intel would have exactly zero competition for the foreseeable future, outside of the odd Snapdragon laptop or Rockchip tablet. Situations like that are why anti-trust legislation exists.

If Intel were only after the GPU division, that might be a more interesting conversation, but there are a couple of issues I could see derailing that before it even happened.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.