"G-Sync Compatible" Master Thread

Glenwing
  • 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

Hello, I'm in this situation currently:

Bought new monitor - Dell S2721D. It's a freesync monitor, but people say that they made it work with G-sync without problems. I tried it too, but somehow G-sync clearly didn't work. Someone mentioned on forums that he used Display Port 1.4 interface version and worked with this monitor. Most likely my Display Port cable is older version. I can't buy new cable right now, but I want to know if it's possible that G-sync isn't working on my new monitor because of old version of Display Port?

GeForce 1000 series GPUs require the use of Display Port for GSC displays but should work fine over DP1.2. GeForce 2000 & higher support GSC displays over both DP & HDMI.

The thing with GSC is that its not just "plug n play" like G Sync or FreeSync. You have to make sure your monitor has FreeSync support enabled in its OSD then you have to manually go into Nvidias driver utility and turn "G Sync" on, IIRC it should say "G Sync Compatible" someone on the settings page to let you know you're enabling GSC mode.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Dean0919 said:

I did those steps that you suggested with my current cable and couldn't make G-sync to work.

Thanks for the information. I couldn't find such settings in my monitor and one of the users here told me that if I can't find "freesync" feature in monitor OSD settings, it means it's automatically enabled. I'm not sure which version is my DP cable, maybe it's even older than 1.2. I just saw 1.4 version on a local store today and bought it. Waiting when they will deliver it (today or tomorrow) and I'll test it again on 1.4 version, hope this time it will work.

Does the G Sync page in the Nvidia Driver show at all? If the page shows then it means the GPU at least knows the display is VRR capable, if you don't see the G Sync page at all then it means the GPU cannot detect any VRR capabilities on your monitor.

Also what Nvidia driver version are you using? If its a really outdated version then that might be the problem.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

36 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

Yes, it's there. Check my previous post, I posted screenshot there.

I'm a bit worried that I bought this new DisplayPort in vain, because I just googled "s2721d g-sync" & saw this thread where moderator of Dell forum answered to the user with the similar issue as mine. 

It's confusing, someone said he made G-sync work on this monitor but with DP 1.4 version and now reading that answer from Dell forum... Ugh, I really hope this new cable will make it work.

Here, this is the website where they say that this monitor is tested to be working for G-sync.

image.png.3cb898589267c7ee2ed128c9666ddffd.png

Online reviews also say that G-sync works on this monitor. For example this is from Amazon review:

image.thumb.png.68f1bf3d76caa615021417a92b1369cd.png

AFAIK Nvidia enabled the ability for the user to try G Sync on any FreeSync display though they do say that only certified monitors are officially supported and any uncertified ones may or may not work.

It others are reporting success then its a fair assumption that it will work. The cable is a good first shot at fixing the issue, at worst it can't hurt and you end up with a faster cable.

Edit - FTR VRR capability is sent from the monitor to the GPU in the EDID, your GPU is obviously detecting the monitor supports VRR otherwise the driver panel wouldn't show G Sync at all. Everything I can find seems to suggest that DP1.2a should be fine for both G Sync & FreeSync, the only thing a better cable will provide is a higher supported resolution/refresh rate ratio and support for VRR HDR.

41 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

It's been very unlucky day for me. When I came home, I launched Nvidia demo for G-sync testing and also checked monitor refresh rate during the demo and it was fluctuating, so seems like G-sync was already working on my current cable, however it had stutters and tearing. But at that time I already ordered new cable and it was already delivered. I unplugged my current cable and saw the model and brand number on it. Googled it and guess what? Seems like that cable was already 1.4 version lol. So, basically I bought this new cable in vain. The only difference is, new one is gold plated and 3 meters. Anyway, worst part of all this is that, on both cables sure, G-sync is enabled and working, but it's not working as supposed to - it stutters and has screen tearing, so I'm very confused now... What I'm doing wrong?

Here's the demonstration video to show you, how it's performing on my monitor:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/97F7U3tnFa9mHLrm6

Do you have V Sync forced disabled? It sounds weird but Nvidia changed something a while back so if you force disable V Sync then G Sync stops working as well. Try setting V Sync to either On or Auto in Nvidia's driver.

Really not fully understand it, since when Linus covered it there has been a lot of changes around G-sync.

Which I guess one still need the module, but I wonder, couldn't one do some of this on the graphic card itself?

Or by using a module between the cable and monitor, I guess that is more work and maybe worse performance.

*looks into the chinese market for something that may be similar*

• 2 months later...

So I'm rocking a new LG CX oled tv which is GSync compatible with HDMI 2.1 VRR, connected to a Razer laptop with a RTX 2070. On the native HDMI 2.0b on this laptop, GSync works great but the best I can do for gaming is 1440p@120hz + HDR RGB 4-4-4 8bit /w dithering or 2160p@120hz no HDR / YCbCr 4-2-0 8bit for standard Windows usage, given the bandwidth limitations.

This laptop also has a Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port which supports DisplayPort Alt mode, so I picked up a nice CableMatters USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter (I only paid $34 CAD at the time, it's gone up in price) and this works nicely to max out the bandwidth to 2160p@120Hz + HDR / RGB 4-4-4 10bit (40 GBps) - however, GSync doesn't work with this and after reading this thread I finally understand why.

But, it potentially COULD support GSync if Nvidia had the ambition to update the drivers to support the other protocol over DP correct? Is there any sort of hack to accomplish this?