"G-Sync Compatible" Master Thread

Glenwing

My Asus MG248 works for a bit then if the computer sleeps it's seems to disable and the screen splits in the middle and the right hand side moves up a few pixels. And my lg 29wk50 just doesn't meet requirements :(

17 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

ASUS VG278Q  -  Frequent black frames usually lasting a few seconds while playing shadow of the tomb raider.  In my case, if I have my monitor and my tv connected and g-sync on I get these black frames, if both displays connected with g-sync off it works fine.  If I only have my monitor connected it also works fine.  Also, if my monitor goes to sleep I get a half black screen when I wake it.  The first time this happened I just restarted it and it worked fine again, the most recent time it happened I had to disable g-sync and then restart before it would work again.

I'll try some driver removal and reinstallation and update with my findings in the morning. 

This morning I got the black screen right from startup even though I did a full shutdown last night and not sleep mode.

Reinstallation didn't help but I did find a workaround.  If you change the resolution of the monitor and then click no to revert back, the monitor refreshes and works again.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:13 PM, Glenwing said:

For now, FreeSync monitors with no DP input, which only support FreeSync via HDMI (there are a few) will not be able to enable G-Sync with this update.

My monitor has no DP input. You can find my monitor here.

Could I cheese it and have some sort of DP to HDMI adapter or cable?

Also, don't judge me for buying a Walmart monitor! ?

2 hours ago, WesG said:

My monitor has no DP input. You can find my monitor here.

Could I cheese it and have some sort of DP to HDMI adapter or cable?

Also, don't judge me for buying a Walmart monitor! ?

Unfortunately no, as mentioned in the "Requirements" section:

On 1/15/2019 at 1:13 PM, Glenwing said:

What are the requirements? How do I turn it on?

• You must be connected to the monitor with a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection. This includes DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, and USB-C/Thunderbolt (assuming the USB-C/TB port has video capability provided by a 1000+ series NVIDIA GPU, which is not the case on all laptops), or any combination of these.

Running windows 10, GTX 1080Ti, Pixio PX347C with Freesync connected with DisplayPort, and latest drivers. Still no option in NVidia control panel to set up G-SYNC. Tried enabling and disabling Freesync in monitor settings already.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, vanya2006 said:

Running windows 10, GTX 1080Ti, Pixio PX374C with Freesync connected with DisplayPort, and latest drivers. Still no option in NVidia control panel to set up G-SYNC. Tried enabling and disabling Freesync in monitor settings already.

Do you mean the Pixio PX347C?  I've seen some reviews knocking the included cable, have you tried a different DP 1.2 cable?

If 2 different brands use the same panel, does it mean that the g-sync performance should be the same?

Ex: ASUS MX34VQ -> Samsung LTM340YP03

ACER  ED347CKR -> Samsung LTM340YP03

I have a PX347c Prime, and using windows 10, 1080 ti, with free-sync on on the monitor, and display port cable, with newest display drivers, and windows drivers, but no option for free-sync in NVIDIA control panel. Anyone know what to do?

Do you mean the Pixio PX347C?  I've seen some reviews knocking the included cable, have you tried a different DP 1.2 cable?

I have a better display cable, then what came with the monitor, and It isn't working on mine.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, vanya2006 said:

Running windows 10, GTX 1080Ti, Pixio PX374C with Freesync connected with DisplayPort, and latest drivers. Still no option in NVidia control panel to set up G-SYNC. Tried enabling and disabling Freesync in monitor settings already.

5 minutes ago, 78Star` said:

I have a PX347c Prime, and using windows 10, 1080 ti, with free-sync on on the monitor, and display port cable, with newest display drivers, and windows drivers, but no option for free-sync in NVIDIA control panel. Anyone know what to do?

I have a better display cable, then what came with the monitor, and It isn't working on mine.

Did a little more digging, it could be because it has a very narrow freesync range of 80-100Hz.

Your freesync range is too low sadly. Your Pixio supports a freesync range of only 80-100, which is a ratio of 1.25. You would need a ratio of at least 2. (Maximum divided by minimum)

My Pixio 277h for example has a range of 48-144 which is a ratio of 3, along with LFC. Freesync is working perfectly fine with my GTX 1070 Ti.

Quoted from here:  

5 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

Did a little more digging, it could be because it has a very narrow freesync range of 80-100Hz.

Is this a weird standard Nvidia is just implementing? I mean It isn't great yes, but it still is free sync, and I see no reason that if it fallows all the other rules, and it works with amd, that it shouldn't work with Nvidia. I read through the references of PX347c there, just didn't seem obvious why Nvidia decided to not detect it. I mean they already consider it "inferior" so why not allow us to have it any ways...

58 minutes ago, 78Star` said:

Is this a weird standard Nvidia is just implementing? I mean It isn't great yes, but it still is free sync, and I see no reason that if it fallows all the other rules, and it works with amd, that it shouldn't work with Nvidia. I read through the references of PX347c there, just didn't seem obvious why Nvidia decided to not detect it. I mean they already consider it "inferior" so why not allow us to have it any ways...

It's just one of the qualifications, found reference of it here; https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

G-SYNC Compatible testing validates that the monitor does not show blanking, pulsing, flickering, ghosting or other artifacts during VRR gaming. They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz), and offer the gamer a seamless experience by enabling VRR by default.

I guess it's another requirement to add to the list, eh @Glenwing.

hotfix drivers dropped yesterday 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1095541/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-417-75-released-1-22-19-/?offset=11

may help some people 

personally i havent had time yet to test my 34uc88-b but ive read people have oc-ed the freesync range with cru to 35-75 and had great success i will test probably on the weekend

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

7 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

It's just one of the qualifications, found reference of it here; https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

That's a requirement only for G-Sync Compatible certification, which itself is not actually a requirement for enabling G-Sync.

37 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

That's a requirement only for G-Sync Compatible certification, which itself is not actually a requirement for enabling G-Sync.

I found this google spreadsheet about compatibility of FreeSync monitors running with Nvidia GPUs, maybe it'll be helpful for this thread:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ej9mOe5NamLldpfyFfXrqvLMZP-aG2Zi1su7QzPRNJY/edit?fbclid=IwAR14CJw4cSoP1oxk9hfxV1qA_g9pbEIyLdEMwpW8vZOnOgVoJDk08ytN2qI#gid=0

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

True.  I didn't read it carefully enough as it was getting way too late, haha.

It is odd that someone was able to enable the Pixio 277h though, which has a wider freesync range, but not the 347c.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:15 AM, CorruptedSanity said:

Yes. And I do have a new display cable due to the awful quality of the included one.

16 hours ago, 78Star` said:

16 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

Quoted from here:  

11 hours ago, 78Star` said:

10 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

3 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Found the reason in another post here. It is because G-SYNC requires a display supporting DisplayPort 1.2a or better, 1.2 or worse won't work.

8 minutes ago, vanya2006 said:

Yes. And I do have a new display cable due to the awful quality of the included one.

Found the reason in another post here. It is because G-SYNC requires a display supporting DisplayPort 1.2a or better, 1.2 or worse won't work.

It just requires a monitor with support for the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync standard, which is present in all monitors supporting FreeSync over DisplayPort. The DP 1.2 vs 1.2a thing is just a hand-waving argument that people give when it doesn't work. DP versions don't really work like that, and most of the time companies don't distinguish between interim versions anyway (like 1.2 vs 1.2a).

so does it still make sense to purchase a gsync monitor now??

as in "g sync version 2" not the latest HDR ++ thingy.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Samsung  U28E590 - failure

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I'm looking into getting a g-sync monitor, should I get one of the current g-sync "ultimate" or "compatible" monitors, or should I wait for manufacturers to start coming out with new g-sync compatible ones?

8 minutes ago, Jack_Tilt said:

I'm looking into getting a g-sync monitor, should I get one of the current g-sync "ultimate" or "compatible" monitors, or should I wait for manufacturers to start coming out with new g-sync compatible ones?

G-Sync Ultimate are monitors that come with the G-Sync module. The G-Sync compatible monitors are typically labeled with AMD's FreeSync and have been verified by NVIDIA to work. The G-Sync compatible ones are typically cheaper than their ultimate counterparts. If you want to save some money, consider G-Sync compatible monitors and take a look at this spreadsheet for ones that work.

Works fine with an MSI MAG24c... with a couple exceptions.

#1 there's some very faint flickering in loading menus - this doesn't seem to happen in-game. I assume it's due to frames dropping to zero or well below the vrr range.

#2 Barely works at all having a second 60hz fixed monitor plugged into hdmi. Loads of flickering, and painful lag. So every time I want to play a game with gsync on, I have to tell windows to only display on the MSI monitor. Kind of annoying, but I'm hoping Nvidia will fix issues with mismatched display setups.?‍♂️

alright so heres my experience so far. i feel i must be doing something wrong because i cant seem to see any significant difference with the pedulum demo or the that website test.

so i got my 34UC88-B connected via displayport and Freesync activated in OSD.

NVIDIA driver lets me enable g-sync - done.

set monitor to 75hz 

open cru and set range to 35-75

restart with cru

open wildlands for testing

feels amazing

then i got black frames / frame skipping

shit...

ok lets read online ...someone mentioned frame skipping aove 60hz

well that a bummer

alright set range to 35-61 as per instruction

open wildands ,....nice its gone.....ohhh no there it is.

tldr; runs, works, feels great, occasional frame skipping and weird dimming effect in loading screens might bother some but i think i still prefer it to no using g-sync

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

On 1/15/2019 at 9:13 PM, Glenwing said:

This is a thread for all general discussion concerning NVIDIA's new "G-Sync Compatible" feature (i.e. NVIDIA "FreeSync" support).

Official announcement from NVIDIA can be found HERE.

Spreadsheet of non-certified monitors that have been tested by the community can be found HERE (not maintained by me). Post on the Reddit thread HERE if you want to contribute to it.

FAQ

What is this new "G-Sync compatible" thing?

In the past, G-Sync has only operated using a proprietary protocol created by NVIDIA. This requires a proprietary display control chip that recognizes this protocol. Now, NVIDIA has added support for running G-Sync (variable refresh rates) via an alternate protocol, the standardized DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. This is the same protocol that AMD uses for FreeSync over DisplayPort. This means, in a nutshell, that NVIDIA has added support for G-Sync functionality on any monitor that supports AMD FreeSync over DisplayPort.

What are the requirements? How do I turn it on?

• You must update your graphics card to the latest NVIDIA driver, available HERE.
  • You must be using Windows 10.
  • You must have a GeForce 1000-series card or newer. GeForce 900 series and below are not supported at this time.
  • You must have a monitor that supports the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. This includes any monitor that supports AMD FreeSync over DisplayPort.
  • You must be connected to the monitor with a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection. This includes DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, and USB-C/Thunderbolt (assuming the USB-C/TB port has video capability provided by a 1000+ series NVIDIA GPU, which is not the case on all laptops), or any combination of these.

You turn it on using the instructions provided HERE.

Is a "G-Sync Compatible monitor" just NVIDIA's term for "FreeSync monitor" then?

No. NVIDIA is only calling monitors "G-Sync Compatible" if they have been certified to meet NVIDIA's implementation requirements. This is a method of quality control. The DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol only specifies a method of supporting variable refresh rates, it does not make any mandates about the quality of the implementation (such as the operating range, etc.). Some early FreeSync monitors were notorious for implementing poor operating ranges (i.e. 48–60 Hz) or disabling response time compensation (RTC/overdrive) when FreeSync was enabled). NVIDIA's "G-Sync Compatible" is a branding that they will only use for monitors that they have certified to meet their implementation quality requirements.

So, does that mean only certain FreeSync monitors will be supported?

No. G-Sync can be enabled on any monitor with the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol, which includes all FreeSync monitors. If the monitor has not been certified as "G-Sync Compatible", then it just means G-Sync will not be turned on by default when you plug in the monitor, you will have to enable it manually. And keep in mind that you may encounter issues such as flickering or other problems, since the monitors have not been certified for compatibility.

Which monitors have been certified as G-Sync Compatible?

The list can be found in the NVIDIA announcement linked at the top of the post.

What about FreeSync over HDMI?

NVIDIA is only adding support for the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. FreeSync over HDMI does not use the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol, they use a different protocol (seemingly a custom one developed by AMD, it's hard to say since AMD has never made any technical details available that I'm aware of. It does not use the HDMI Game Mode VRR protocol introduced with the HDMI 2.1 specification, since FreeSync over HDMI predates the publication of version 2.1, unless whatever method AMD developed actually became standardized as that protocol. Like I said, no details released, so we can only speculate).

For now, FreeSync monitors with no DP input, which only support FreeSync via HDMI (there are a few) will not be able to enable G-Sync with this update.

EDIT: No, a DP to HDMI adapter will not help. As mentioned in the "requirements" section, you need a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection.

What are "G-Sync Premium Experience" and "G-Sync Ultimate"?

In addition to the "G-Sync Compatible" certification, NVIDIA is introducing two new terms to classify G-Sync displays.

Basically, "G-Sync Premium Experience" refers to normal G-Sync monitors that we're familiar with, equipped with a traditional G-Sync module (V1 or V2). These modules provides support for other non-G-Sync related features such as ULMB (backlight strobing) as well as NVIDIA's advanced variable overdrive algorithm to reduce motion blur during G-Sync operation, which are not required for "G-Sync Compatible" displays but are included on all traditional G-Sync monitors.

"G-Sync Ultimate" is NVIDIA's new term for monitors that use their updated V3 G-Sync module (such as the ASUS PG27UQ and Acer X27 4K 144 Hz G-Sync monitors). These monitors are required to pass the VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certification (which implicitly requires FALD backlighting if it's an LCD panel monitor) and have a wide color gamut.

How is G-Sync working without a module now? Does this mean it was never needed?

The traditional G-Sync protocol created by NVIDIA still only works with the G-Sync module. With this update, NVIDIA has added support for a different protocol that accomplishes the same thing. They've just decided to call it "G-Sync" too. "G-Sync" has been effectively expanded to an umbrella term to refer generically to "variable refresh rates on NVIDIA GPUs".

The module was required when G-Sync was first created, because the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol did not exist at the time. Recall that the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol was only developed by AMD and adopted into the DP standard in response to G-Sync (granted it was based on an eDP feature called Panel Self-Refresh, but we'll hold that aside). There are some arguments to be made about how long it took for NVIDIA to adopt the standardized protocol once it was created, whether they should have abandoned the module-based approach along time ago, and whatnot, but at least accusations about "the G-Sync module doesn't really do anything and never has" are simply not factually accurate.

Discussion

Please feel free to continue all discussion in this thread, report your experiences and test results, etc. :)

I seem to be able to use gsync with no problems in my Acer XR342CK with an RTX 2080 although the range is not brilliant it is better than nothing at 50 to 75hz making dips below the refresh rate so much better. I tested in battlefield v at 3440x1440 on the ultra preset with a 2080 and a 5930K @4.4GHz and used the monitors built it refresh rate monitoring feature in the osd to validate panel changing its refresh rate and so far no issues that Nvidia have talked have come up.

Main PC Setup:

- CPU Ryzen 9 3950X, MOBO Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi X570, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MT/s DDR4 (4x8GB), GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 Founders Edition, STORAGE Samsung 970 Pro (512GB) + (3x) Samsung 870 Evo (2TB), COOLER NZXT Kraken X72 AIO, PSU Corsair RM850i, CASE Fractal Design Define R6 Tempered Glass Blackout

Peripherals:

- MONITORS LG 34GN850 (34" 3440x1440 144Hz GSYNC/FREESYNC) + Acer XR342CK (34" 3440x1440 75Hz) + Asus VG278Q (27" 1920x1080 144Hz GSYNC/FREESYNC), KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB TKL, MOUSE Logitech G Pro Wireless & Logitech MX Master 2S, MIC Blue YetiHEADPHONES Sony WH-1000XM4 & Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Home Theatre Setup:

- CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MOBO Asus TUF Gaming B550-PLUS, RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, GPU Intel ARC A770 16GB LESOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster ZSTORAGE Samsung 980 Pro (500GB) + WD Blue HDD (1TB), COOLER Corsair H100x AIO, PSU Seasonic Core GM-500, CASE Silverstone Black Grandia GD09.

Peripherals:

DISPLAY 55" LG CX OLED (4K 120Hz GSYNC/FREESYNC), KEYBOARD Logitech K400 Plus, MOUSE Logitech G602, SPEAKERS LG 5.1 Surround Sound System

Main Laptop (2021 HP Envy x360 15)

- CPU Ryzen 7 5700URAM 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB 3200MT/s), GPU Vega 8 iGPUDISPLAY 15" IPS Display (1920x1080 60Hz)STORAGE 512GB NVMe SSD

Gaming Laptop (HP Omen 17-CB005NA):

- CPU i7-9750HRAM 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB), GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060DISPLAY 17.3" IPS Display (1920x1080 144Hz)STORAGE Samsung M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (512GB) + Seagate Barracuda Pro 7200RPM HDD (1TB)

Backup Laptop (Asus FX503VM-EN184T):

- CPU i5-7300HQRAM 16GB 2400MT/s DDR4 (2x8GB), GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 3GBDISPLAY 15.6" TN Dispay (1920x1080 120Hz)STORAGE SK Hynix M.2 SATA SSD (256GB) + WD Black 7200RPM HDD (1TB)

On 1/16/2019 at 12:36 PM, LinusOnLine said:

Works on my AOC C32G1 with a 1070ti on DP and 144hz.

I am very pumped.  Just bought this monitor and had no idea that G-sync would work on it. I had just upgraded my older monitor for a faster refresh rate and just found out about this little bonus w/ G-Sync. I have a GTX 1070 and the AOC C32G1 will be delivered on Weds.  I'll report back the results after I get the AOC set up.