Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glenwing

"G-Sync Compatible" Master Thread

ASUS VG278Q  -  Frequent black frames usually lasting a few seconds while playing shadow of the tomb raider.  In my case, if I have my monitor and my tv connected and g-sync on I get these black frames, if both displays connected with g-sync off it works fine.  If I only have my monitor connected it also works fine.  Also, if my monitor goes to sleep I get a half black screen when I wake it.  The first time this happened I just restarted it and it worked fine again, the most recent time it happened I had to disable g-sync and then restart before it would work again.

I'll try some driver removal and reinstallation and update with my findings in the morning. 

20190115_115256.thumb.jpg.0ae87e8cae54da24dd6e3fc299bfee39.jpg

15 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

Are you on windows 10? 

844078964_Screenshot_20190116-013901_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.3056f184ce9f2ed300458491180bcb05.jpg

Ahhh that is probably the problem. I am on Windows 8.1. Usually I see Windows 10 and assume compatibility because I have never had any issues. TY!

My Asus MG248 works for a bit then if the computer sleeps it's seems to disable and the screen splits in the middle and the right hand side moves up a few pixels. And my lg 29wk50 just doesn't meet requirements :(

17 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

ASUS VG278Q  -  Frequent black frames usually lasting a few seconds while playing shadow of the tomb raider.  In my case, if I have my monitor and my tv connected and g-sync on I get these black frames, if both displays connected with g-sync off it works fine.  If I only have my monitor connected it also works fine.  Also, if my monitor goes to sleep I get a half black screen when I wake it.  The first time this happened I just restarted it and it worked fine again, the most recent time it happened I had to disable g-sync and then restart before it would work again.

I'll try some driver removal and reinstallation and update with my findings in the morning. 

This morning I got the black screen right from startup even though I did a full shutdown last night and not sleep mode.

Reinstallation didn't help but I did find a workaround.  If you change the resolution of the monitor and then click no to revert back, the monitor refreshes and works again.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:13 PM, Glenwing said:

For now, FreeSync monitors with no DP input, which only support FreeSync via HDMI (there are a few) will not be able to enable G-Sync with this update.

My monitor has no DP input. You can find my monitor here.

Could I cheese it and have some sort of DP to HDMI adapter or cable?

Also, don't judge me for buying a Walmart monitor! 😅

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, WesG said:

My monitor has no DP input. You can find my monitor here.

Could I cheese it and have some sort of DP to HDMI adapter or cable?

Also, don't judge me for buying a Walmart monitor! 😅

Unfortunately no, as mentioned in the "Requirements" section:

On 1/15/2019 at 1:13 PM, Glenwing said:

What are the requirements? How do I turn it on?

• You must be connected to the monitor with a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection. This includes DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, and USB-C/Thunderbolt (assuming the USB-C/TB port has video capability provided by a 1000+ series NVIDIA GPU, which is not the case on all laptops), or any combination of these.

Running windows 10, GTX 1080Ti, Pixio PX347C with Freesync connected with DisplayPort, and latest drivers. Still no option in NVidia control panel to set up G-SYNC. Tried enabling and disabling Freesync in monitor settings already.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, vanya2006 said:

Running windows 10, GTX 1080Ti, Pixio PX374C with Freesync connected with DisplayPort, and latest drivers. Still no option in NVidia control panel to set up G-SYNC. Tried enabling and disabling Freesync in monitor settings already.

Do you mean the Pixio PX347C?  I've seen some reviews knocking the included cable, have you tried a different DP 1.2 cable?

If 2 different brands use the same panel, does it mean that the g-sync performance should be the same?

Ex: ASUS MX34VQ -> Samsung LTM340YP03

ACER  ED347CKR -> Samsung LTM340YP03

I have a PX347c Prime, and using windows 10, 1080 ti, with free-sync on on the monitor, and display port cable, with newest display drivers, and windows drivers, but no option for free-sync in NVIDIA control panel. Anyone know what to do?

Do you mean the Pixio PX347C?  I've seen some reviews knocking the included cable, have you tried a different DP 1.2 cable?

I have a better display cable, then what came with the monitor, and It isn't working on mine.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, vanya2006 said:

Running windows 10, GTX 1080Ti, Pixio PX374C with Freesync connected with DisplayPort, and latest drivers. Still no option in NVidia control panel to set up G-SYNC. Tried enabling and disabling Freesync in monitor settings already.

5 minutes ago, 78Star` said:

I have a PX347c Prime, and using windows 10, 1080 ti, with free-sync on on the monitor, and display port cable, with newest display drivers, and windows drivers, but no option for free-sync in NVIDIA control panel. Anyone know what to do?

I have a better display cable, then what came with the monitor, and It isn't working on mine.

Did a little more digging, it could be because it has a very narrow freesync range of 80-100Hz.

Your freesync range is too low sadly. Your Pixio supports a freesync range of only 80-100, which is a ratio of 1.25. You would need a ratio of at least 2. (Maximum divided by minimum)

My Pixio 277h for example has a range of 48-144 which is a ratio of 3, along with LFC. Freesync is working perfectly fine with my GTX 1070 Ti.

Quoted from here:  

5 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

Did a little more digging, it could be because it has a very narrow freesync range of 80-100Hz.

Is this a weird standard Nvidia is just implementing? I mean It isn't great yes, but it still is free sync, and I see no reason that if it fallows all the other rules, and it works with amd, that it shouldn't work with Nvidia. I read through the references of PX347c there, just didn't seem obvious why Nvidia decided to not detect it. I mean they already consider it "inferior" so why not allow us to have it any ways...

58 minutes ago, 78Star` said:

Is this a weird standard Nvidia is just implementing? I mean It isn't great yes, but it still is free sync, and I see no reason that if it fallows all the other rules, and it works with amd, that it shouldn't work with Nvidia. I read through the references of PX347c there, just didn't seem obvious why Nvidia decided to not detect it. I mean they already consider it "inferior" so why not allow us to have it any ways...

It's just one of the qualifications, found reference of it here; https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

G-SYNC Compatible testing validates that the monitor does not show blanking, pulsing, flickering, ghosting or other artifacts during VRR gaming. They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz), and offer the gamer a seamless experience by enabling VRR by default.

I guess it's another requirement to add to the list, eh @Glenwing.

hotfix drivers dropped yesterday 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1095541/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-417-75-released-1-22-19-/?offset=11

may help some people 

personally i havent had time yet to test my 34uc88-b but ive read people have oc-ed the freesync range with cru to 35-75 and had great success i will test probably on the weekend

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

7 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

It's just one of the qualifications, found reference of it here; https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

That's a requirement only for G-Sync Compatible certification, which itself is not actually a requirement for enabling G-Sync.

37 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

That's a requirement only for G-Sync Compatible certification, which itself is not actually a requirement for enabling G-Sync.

I found this google spreadsheet about compatibility of FreeSync monitors running with Nvidia GPUs, maybe it'll be helpful for this thread:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ej9mOe5NamLldpfyFfXrqvLMZP-aG2Zi1su7QzPRNJY/edit?fbclid=IwAR14CJw4cSoP1oxk9hfxV1qA_g9pbEIyLdEMwpW8vZOnOgVoJDk08ytN2qI#gid=0

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4,7GHz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 11GB GDDR5X Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 TG White PSU: Corsair TX650M (2017)
Displays: AORUS AD27QD, DELL UltraSharp U2711 Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, ADATA SP550 240GB M.2, Kingston UV400 240GB, WD Red 2TB & 1TB
Laptop: Acer Nitro 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X 4GB RAM: 16GB Storage: 240GB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD Display: 15.6" IPS

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

True.  I didn't read it carefully enough as it was getting way too late, haha.

It is odd that someone was able to enable the Pixio 277h though, which has a wider freesync range, but not the 347c.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:15 AM, CorruptedSanity said:

Yes. And I do have a new display cable due to the awful quality of the included one.

16 hours ago, 78Star` said:

16 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

Quoted from here:  

11 hours ago, 78Star` said:

10 hours ago, CorruptedSanity said:

3 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Found the reason in another post here. It is because G-SYNC requires a display supporting DisplayPort 1.2a or better, 1.2 or worse won't work.

8 minutes ago, vanya2006 said:

Yes. And I do have a new display cable due to the awful quality of the included one.

Found the reason in another post here. It is because G-SYNC requires a display supporting DisplayPort 1.2a or better, 1.2 or worse won't work.

It just requires a monitor with support for the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync standard, which is present in all monitors supporting FreeSync over DisplayPort. The DP 1.2 vs 1.2a thing is just a hand-waving argument that people give when it doesn't work. DP versions don't really work like that, and most of the time companies don't distinguish between interim versions anyway (like 1.2 vs 1.2a).

so does it still make sense to purchase a gsync monitor now??

as in "g sync version 2" not the latest HDR ++ thingy.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Samsung  U28E590 - failure

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Crucial MX500 512 SSD + 2TB Adata SSD - EVGA GTX1080ti - Phanteks P400 Case (custom mesh front cover)

I'm looking into getting a g-sync monitor, should I get one of the current g-sync "ultimate" or "compatible" monitors, or should I wait for manufacturers to start coming out with new g-sync compatible ones?

8 minutes ago, Jack_Tilt said:

I'm looking into getting a g-sync monitor, should I get one of the current g-sync "ultimate" or "compatible" monitors, or should I wait for manufacturers to start coming out with new g-sync compatible ones?

G-Sync Ultimate are monitors that come with the G-Sync module. The G-Sync compatible monitors are typically labeled with AMD's FreeSync and have been verified by NVIDIA to work. The G-Sync compatible ones are typically cheaper than their ultimate counterparts. If you want to save some money, consider G-Sync compatible monitors and take a look at this spreadsheet for ones that work.

Works fine with an MSI MAG24c... with a couple exceptions.

#1 there's some very faint flickering in loading menus - this doesn't seem to happen in-game. I assume it's due to frames dropping to zero or well below the vrr range.

#2 Barely works at all having a second 60hz fixed monitor plugged into hdmi. Loads of flickering, and painful lag. So every time I want to play a game with gsync on, I have to tell windows to only display on the MSI monitor. Kind of annoying, but I'm hoping Nvidia will fix issues with mismatched display setups.🤷‍♂️