"G-Sync Compatible" Master Thread

Glenwing

This is a thread for all general discussion concerning NVIDIA's new "G-Sync Compatible" feature (i.e. NVIDIA "FreeSync" support).

Official announcement from NVIDIA can be found HERE.

Spreadsheet of non-certified monitors that have been tested by the community can be found HERE (not maintained by me). Post on the Reddit thread HERE if you want to contribute to it.

FAQ

What is this new "G-Sync compatible" thing?

NVIDIA has released a driver update which allows NVIDIA graphics cards to run variable refresh rates using the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. This is the same protocol that AMD uses for FreeSync over DisplayPort. This allows NVIDIA cards to run variable refresh rates on any monitor that supports FreeSync over DisplayPort.

Effectively, NVIDIA has added support for FreeSync, they just don't call it that (because "FreeSync" is an AMD trademark).

What are the requirements? How do I turn it on?

• You must update your graphics card driver to version 419.67 (March 20, 2019) or newer, available HERE.
  • You must be using Windows 10.
  • You must have a GeForce 1000-series card or newer. GeForce 900 series and below are not supported at this time.
  • You must have a monitor that supports the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. This includes any monitor that supports AMD FreeSync over DisplayPort. Monitors that only support FreeSync over HDMI are not supported.
  • You must be connected to the monitor with a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection. This can include either full-size or Mini DP connectors. FreeSync over HDMI uses a different protocol which isn't supported by NVIDIA. There are no adapters which can get around this requirement.

You turn it on using the instructions provided HERE.

Is a "G-Sync Compatible monitor" just NVIDIA's term for "FreeSync monitor" then?

No. NVIDIA is only calling monitors "G-Sync Compatible" if they have been certified to meet NVIDIA's implementation requirements. This is a method of quality control. The DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol only specifies a method of supporting variable refresh rates, it does not make any mandates about the quality of the implementation (such as the operating range, etc.). Some early FreeSync monitors were notorious for implementing poor operating ranges (i.e. 48–60 Hz) or disabling response time compensation (RTC/overdrive) when FreeSync was enabled. NVIDIA's "G-Sync Compatible" is a branding that they will only use for monitors that they have certified to meet their implementation quality requirements.

So, does that mean only certain FreeSync monitors will be supported?

No. G-Sync can be enabled on any monitor with the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol, which includes all FreeSync monitors. Monitors do not need to certified as "G-Sync Compatible" in order for G-Sync to be enabled on them. If the monitor has not been certified as "G-Sync Compatible", then it just means G-Sync will not be turned on by default when you plug in the monitor, you will have to enable it manually in the NVIDIA control panel. And keep in mind that you may encounter issues such as flickering or other problems, since the monitors have not been certified for seamless compatibility.

Which monitors have been certified as G-Sync Compatible?

NVIDIA's G-Sync monitor database can be found HERE.

What about FreeSync over HDMI?

NVIDIA is only adding support for the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. FreeSync over HDMI does not use the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol, it uses a different protocol (seemingly a custom one developed by AMD, it's hard to say since AMD has never made any technical details available that I'm aware of. It does not use the HDMI Game Mode VRR protocol introduced with the HDMI 2.1 specification, since FreeSync over HDMI predates the publication of version 2.1, unless whatever method AMD developed actually became standardized as that protocol. Like I said, no details released, so we can only speculate).

For now, FreeSync monitors with no DP input, which only support FreeSync via HDMI (there are a few) will not be able to enable G-Sync with this update.

EDIT: No, a DP to HDMI adapter will not help. As mentioned in the "requirements" section, you need a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection.

What are "G-Sync Premium Experience" and "G-Sync Ultimate"?

In addition to the "G-Sync Compatible" certification, NVIDIA is introducing two new terms to classify G-Sync displays.

Basically, "G-Sync Premium Experience" refers to normal G-Sync monitors that we're familiar with, equipped with a traditional G-Sync module (V1 or V2). These modules provides support for other non-G-Sync related features such as ULMB (backlight strobing) as well as NVIDIA's advanced variable overdrive algorithm to reduce motion blur during G-Sync operation, which are not required for "G-Sync Compatible" displays but are included on all traditional G-Sync monitors.

"G-Sync Ultimate" is NVIDIA's new term for monitors that use their updated V3 G-Sync module (such as the ASUS PG27UQ and Acer X27 4K 144 Hz G-Sync monitors). These monitors are required to pass the VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certification (which implicitly requires FALD backlighting if it's an LCD panel monitor) and have a wide color gamut.

How is G-Sync working without a module now? Does this mean it was never needed?

The traditional G-Sync protocol created by NVIDIA does not work without a G-Sync module. This update does not change that. With this update, NVIDIA has added support for a different protocol that accomplishes the same thing, the one that AMD developed and used in FreeSync monitors. NVIDIA have just decided to start including it under the "G-Sync" branding.

The module was required when G-Sync was first created, because the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol that AMD developed did not exist at the time. That protocol was only developed by AMD and adopted into the DP standard in response to the original G-Sync implementation. There may be some arguments to be had about how long it took for NVIDIA to adopt the standardized protocol once it was created, whether they should have abandoned the module-based approach along time ago, and whatnot, but the conspiracy theories about "the G-Sync module doesn't really do anything and never has" are simply not factually accurate.

Discussion

Please feel free to continue all discussion in this thread, report your experiences and test results, etc. :)

Reporting on LG 38UC99 (should also apply to 34UC88/34UC98/38WK95 and other 75 Hz LG Ultrawides)

Infamous 75 Hz frameskipping still persists (even though there are much less skipped squares in UFO Test, but there are still some), so I have focused on configuring for 60 FPS.

The most important thing is not to change default refreshrate in control panel after enabling FreeSync in OSD, because it completely breaks VRR. 75 Hz is default with no option to choose anything else, and it is meant to be this way. Even if 75 Hz frameskips, you still HAVE TO have 75 Hz refreshrate set, because otherwise VRR will cause massive stuttering, flashing and horizontal lines appearing all over the screen. I fought with this for 3 hours trying to make it work with 60 Hz main refreshrate while in fact you just need to leave this 75 Hz setting alone even despite frameskipping (and then lock to 60 in games)

So turn the FreeSync on in OSD, don't touch refreshrate in control panel, and enable everything G-sync related as per guides that are available in the web.

Then edit your FreeSync range in CRU (because you are left with pathetic 52-60 default range). For me it is 30-61. You have to set it at least 1 Hz above your target framerate (which is 60 beacuse anything above frameskips), because if you set it just at 60 then you will still get tearing at 60 FPS.

Lower range should be adjusted with trial and error method, however I have noticed something interesting. With 40-61 range things didn't feel exactly smooth, for example for locked 50 FPS, tearing was gone but it didn't feel as it should with VRR. Only going to 30-61 made things really smooth and working properly. Locking to 50, 40 and 35 FPS feels like it should with VRR, with frame drops inside 45-60 range being thousand times less bothersome than with V-sync.

The consequence of setting the lower range as low as 30 Hz is some flickering/blinking on loading screens. For my unit any gameplay flickering starts around 32 Hz (locking to 32 FPS), but it is very rare, and 35+ looks to be 100% working for now.

Of course because we still have 75 Hz as main refreshrate, you have to lock your FPS to 60 with RTSS for every game.

Also very important for fullscreen games, if you have an option to choose refreshrate, you also HAVE TO choose 75 Hz. If you choose 60 Hz, it will break in similar manner as when you choose 60 in Nvidia Control Panel.

So all in all it is far from just seamlessly enabling FreeSync just like you seamlessly enable G-sync on G-sync displays, but it works very well after all the tweaking.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

How do I know for sure if it's working or not? I have a ASUS VP228QG which is a 75Hz Freesync monitor and I've done the steps to enable G-Sync from the Nvidia Control Panel. I have no clue if it's working as intended though.

Just now, MysteriousAeon said:

How do I know for sure if it's working or not? I have a ASUS VP228QG which is a 75Hz Freesync monitor and I've done the steps to enable G-Sync from the Nvidia Control Panel. I have no clue if it's working as intended though.

Use G-sync Pendulum Demo. If you see stutters or tearing it doesn't work. If it is perfectly smooth and with no tearing then it works. You can also a clear difference in games compared to V-sync on or off. FPS drops should be much less visible and there should be no tearing.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

9 minutes ago, MysteriousAeon said:

I guess I should add that to the FAQ later. Got places to be now though :)

39 minutes ago, Krzych said:

75 Hz LG Ultrawides

i happen to have one and after some gameplay in AC Origins it appears to be working quite well. maybe there is some tearing and ghosting but it's imperceptible to me. i also tried the pendulum demo and also appears to be working. vsync off and there's lots of tearing, gsync on and it's gone, and appears smooth as the fps fluctuates 

1 hour ago, Krzych said:

Use G-sync Pendulum Demo. If you see stutters or tearing it doesn't work. If it is perfectly smooth and with no tearing then it works. You can also a clear difference in games compared to V-sync on or off. FPS drops should be much less visible and there should be no tearing.

Everything is buttery smooth. I can confirm ASUS VP228QG is working with G-Sync very well.

4 minutes ago, Bigfootmandude said:

My monitor has free sync enabled, but I do not even have the option to turn on G-Sync from within the NVIDIA Control Panel, and even after I did a fresh driver install.

Suggestions?

Do you meet all the requirements listed in the first post?

Samsung SHG50 

• G-SYNC works even when the monitor is set to DP 1.1.
  • It is also recognized in DP 1.2 but doesn't trigger. 
  • At least on Forza Horizon 4, there is very noticeable ghosting, much like very bad and excessive motion blur. 
  • Said ghosting is much improved in FreeSync Ultimate, but is still present and feels less smooth compared to it being disabled. 

Will have to do some more testing. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, Bigfootmandude said:

Yes, GTX 1080, Displayport, etc. I am wondering if the Displayport is not 1.2 though...

Are you on windows 10? 

844078964_Screenshot_20190116-013901_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.3056f184ce9f2ed300458491180bcb05.jpg

Minor updated observations so far, partially previously posted in earlier thread:

Acer RT280K (4k60) connected to 2070. Display set to DP1.2. Win10 1809, updated nvidia drivers on the day. Using pendulum test and force enabling FreeSync, I still get tearing at 40 and 60 fps. There was no tearing at 50fps but I get some kind of occasional stutter. I suspect this display might just have a very narrow FreeSync range. Is there a way to find out what the FreeSync range is?

I did go back and check that with FreeSync off, V-sync on, there is no stutter.

I'll overclock the display later to 72 Hz and see if that helps at all... as well as test it in real games.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Disappointing that 900-series isn't supported. I don't see why it wouldn't be supported. 

That's an F in the profile pic

4 hours ago, Rdpruitt said:

Anyone able to test freesync 2?

I have been wondering the same.

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Disappointing that 900-series isn't supported. I don't see why it wouldn't be supported. 

I haven't verified it yet, but I saw a post elsewhere that suggested Adaptive Sync was added to DP1.2a spec. Does the 900 series support that version? If not, it's a no go.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Two things I've noticed so far.  My PG279Q monitor is now listed as G-Sync compatible on the NVidia control panel and my MG248Q seems to be holding up nicely when tested with Destiny 2 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.  I'll run some more testing tonight. 

*All testing done using a 1080 and a display port cable

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Is it possible to maybe have the thread organized more in a way? Like for example, have a list of monitors that work or monitors with issues?

Example:

Working Dell monitors:

*insert model here that is confirmed to work by nvidia or various users*

Dell monitors with issues:

*insert model here, and problem*

On another note, has anyone tried the Dell 2719DGF? I've been looking at it for a while

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

Following intently:

Just built a new rig with a 1070 ti and find it a bit overkill on my 1080p 60hz samsung monitor...

I've been looking at an Acer XB271HU bmiprz, but may be able to save some money/

get something sooner with a Freesync equivalent.

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

22 minutes ago, CorruptedSanity said:

@Glenwing can you add windows 10 to the requirements please. 

Added

22 minutes ago, toobladink said:

Is it possible to maybe have the thread organized more in a way? Like for example, have a list of monitors that work or monitors with issues?

Example:

Working Dell monitors:

*insert model here that is confirmed to work by nvidia or various users*

Dell monitors with issues:

*insert model here, and problem*

On another note, has anyone tried the Dell 2719DGF? I've been looking at it for a while

I don't have time to maintain a list, but I added a link to one that's being done on Reddit.

1 hour ago, porina said:

I haven't verified it yet, but I saw a post elsewhere that suggested Adaptive Sync was added to DP1.2a spec. Does the 900 series support that version? If not, it's a no go.

Seems my card supports DP 1.2, however I'm not sure if that extends to 1.2a. It is apparently also 1.3 and 1.4 "ready" (this is from the Google result so it might be completely wrong. 

AMD has supported Freesync on many different connectors for years going back to cards much older than the 900-series. I don't see why Nvidia would lock it down, I guess I can only hope for a future update since I have no need for a different GPU even at 1440p144

That's an F in the profile pic

I wonder if this signals the death bells for G-SYNC Monitors with modules for 1440P 144Hz monitors and G-sync will be reserved only for ultra high end HDR panels. I am inclined to believe it will as there is no incentive to manufacturers to put G-Sync on midrange monitors like Asus PG279Q.

ASUS VG278Q  -  Frequent black frames usually lasting a few seconds while playing shadow of the tomb raider.  In my case, if I have my monitor and my tv connected and g-sync on I get these black frames, if both displays connected with g-sync off it works fine.  If I only have my monitor connected it also works fine.  Also, if my monitor goes to sleep I get a half black screen when I wake it.  The first time this happened I just restarted it and it worked fine again, the most recent time it happened I had to disable g-sync and then restart before it would work again.

I'll try some driver removal and reinstallation and update with my findings in the morning. 

20190115_115256.thumb.jpg.0ae87e8cae54da24dd6e3fc299bfee39.jpg

On my LG 24GM79G, G-SYNC works flawlessly. Confirming this.