Can We Fix It? - Server Room Upgrade Part 2

jakkuh_t
4 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

It is the Upgrade to 10gb internet (IIRC, unless it's 100GB :P ), and upgrading the modem + routers to do it.

Probably not a modem, this can be done with Docsis etc. Probably just a L3 switch or router with 10GbE SFP+ interface. And thus I don't understand why they changed the LAN during the WAN upgrade.

Did the Laptop really get killed by POE? Hope it can be fixed.

I've missed that part in the video but yes and no. If you connect the regular non-PoE-PD device to the 802.3 af/at PoE-PSE nothing will happen. Because after you plugged the cord to the PSE (PoE switch) it will try to detect the PD and then negotiate about how much power it will need. If no 802.3af/at is detected, no power is provided. But if one will connect regular device to the non-standard "PoE" splitter/adapter which has power source hardwired to the last 1 or 2 pairs, it can burn-out the device's NIC. If it is onboard, you have trouble my dear. People please don't use this cheap piece of crap it is literally same crap like for example this (no offence to that guy). Or at least put some color labels because one port cant destroy your devices, second one is harmless.

PS: Jake is OK, no word about him (from me).

4 hours ago, dmnc said:

Probably not a modem, this can be done with Docsis etc. Probably just a L3 switch or router with 10GbE SFP+ interface. And thus I don't understand why they changed the LAN during the WAN upgrade.

Its fiber for sure.

5 hours ago, dmnc said:

But tell me guys, why did you change the subnets and remove the vlans?

Because they have no clue what they are doing. That is exactly why, not a dis on them. If they dont know what IPs in different subnets cannot communicate, VLANs are out of their league. 

But agreed that no changes would have had to of been done on the LAN. PFsense would have just needed to be configured with the same subinterface IPs and tag the correctly traffic and it would have been done in no time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 6:00 AM, TechyBen said:

Did the Laptop really get killed by POE? Hope it can be fixed.

If it did it just means we might get a new video out of it ;)

• 1 year later...

i was so happy to see jake using Bitvise SSH and not PuTTY 
FAR superior to PuTTY, yet so under recommended.

(video linked cause of timestamp)

see

Spoiler

image.png.d75da36ce6902b2d7edc6b048b1e2864.png