Can We Fix It? - Server Room Upgrade Part 2

jakkuh_t

When we last left our heroes, they found that their hard work had gotten them nowhere... Now, they need to figure out what went wrong...

Thanks to Pulseway for sponsoring this video! Try their remote monitoring tool today for FREE at https://lmg.gg/8KV6J

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

No soup for you!

or any other dinner for that matter

but... but... I'm hungry

Why is it in 360p?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

because youtube is slow at transcoding higher qualities, generally if the higher qualities don't show after a few hours to a day, the video generally gets reupped

iFixit

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 minutes ago, theanimun said:

because youtube is slow at transcoding higher qualities, generally if the higher qualities don't show after a few hours to a day, the video generally gets reupped

Don't they upload this stuff before hand? I as because usually when they post it, the video is available in resolutions up to 4k.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Don't they upload this stuff before hand? I as because usually when they post it, the video is available in resolutions up to 4k.

its something I've started to notice here in the past few weeks, but is very blatantly obvious if the video has only been up for a matter of minutes, whereas if you wait for the notification email to come through, by that time the HD quality stuff usually tends to be transcoded by then

6 minutes ago, theanimun said:

if they uploaded this video to Floatplane a week ago there is no excuse to upload it to YT 5 min before air...

Just now, test0123 said:

if they uploaded this video to Floatplane a week ago there is no excuse to upload it to YT 5 min before air...

I'm not sure about how the floatplane specifics (ie does LMG have direct physical access to the servers hosting FP, the distance between LMG and YT vs FP etc), but its not just LTT that I've been noticing the slow transcoding on for HD videos, as I have once noticed it on videos from JayzTwoCents, Louis Rossman, The 8-Bit Guy, Offline TV, and a few others, but its not an isolated issue with just LTT

4 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Don't they upload this stuff before hand?

I vaguely remember Linus saying something something about the YT algorithm not being favorable to those videos that are uploaded and not immediately made public. That was a couple years ago, I don't know if that is still the case.

2 minutes ago, trogdor0 said:

I vaguely remember Linus saying something something about the YT algorithm not being favorable to those videos that are uploaded and not immediately made public. That was a couple years ago, I don't know if that is still the case.

I think that is still the case with how the whole "adpocalypse" thing went down, though I could be mistaken

Did I just hear "we use Slackware"?

Seriously, Slackware? Props to ya, but Slackware ain't exactly the friendliest of Linux Distros out there.

Any summary or a list of reasons as to why Slackware was chosen and not just Ubuntu server edition or something similar?

Far as I recall, Slackware doesn't have systemd and all of its startup stuff is RC scripts.

28 minutes ago, theanimun said:

I'm not sure about how the floatplane specifics (ie does LMG have direct physical access to the servers hosting FP, the distance between LMG and YT vs FP etc), but its not just LTT that I've been noticing the slow transcoding on for HD videos, as I have once noticed it on videos from JayzTwoCents, Louis Rossman, The 8-Bit Guy, Offline TV, and a few others, but its not an isolated issue with just LTT

they had the video ready at least a week ago and LMG/FP its the same company so they could upload this a week ago and make it public whenever they want to.. 

i dont understand why not to do it but who am I...

probably if you want to see this in 1080p+ you will enter to check the video at least 2 times if not more and maybe it brings like that more raw views..

"I removed all the vlans and it shouldn't have broken anything".....

On a network previously segmented with statics on all the devices. That literally how you break everything.

Now its a flat network with full access everywhere with every device on the same subnet....god I think I threw up a bit

I'm cringing with how bad this is coming out. but its also exciting because I see the potential. Here are my recommendations:

• First off, switch to the Unifi cameras. They are POE, dont need that proprietary crap and its very clean. https://www.ui.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-g3/ Just get the Unifi cloud key gen2 or the XG server (cloud key, dvr software, and linux os hosting) https://www.ui.com/unifi-routing/unifi-xg-server/ just use a Unifi switch dedicated for Wi-Fi APs and cameras with enough Wattage. Maybe get a sponsorship from Unifi for the cameras? that would be cool.
  • make a printout of all the passwords for unifi stuff. the local controller password. You can even copy the password for the unifi APs locally so if you do need to reset them, you dont have to hunt down the APs and manually reset them. all about instructions for procedures so you guys have a backup plan. not your fault, its common to overlook these things but I've done IT for almost 2 years and learned to document EVERYTHING.
  • Im certified in Ubiquiti Unifi Wireless Enterprise Admin with my own consulting LLC so I can walk you guys through this if y'all want. arendon@uvgrade.com. This shit is so exciting though lol.

I think you need a real network engineer...

Just now, yakatz said:

I think you need a real network engineer...

that has never been more true

Who doesn't screw in VGA cables though? It's how you connect them properly. 

1 hour ago, theanimun said:

how long will it take to become 1080 it has already been 2.5 hours