Hyper-V and Wake On Lan

ExodusFX

Hi,

I have a problem running Hyper-V together with normal Wake On Lan (WOL). My Goal is to wake the Host-PC (physical machine) via Wake on Lan.

Before I installed Hyper-V, this was working perfectly. But after Installing Hyper-V (VT-x and VT-d in bios both enabled) the PC isn't starting via magic-packet.

In the bios of my Asus Z97-a mainboard I have enabled "ErP Ready" (S4 + S5) and "Power on by PCI-E" see in the picture below. In Device Manager I have activated "Allow this device to wake the Computer" and "Only allow magic-packet to wake the computer". In Power Options I deactivated fast startup.

What I have read, the problem is caused by Hyper-V. It's intended that the Host-PC is always running and the Hyper-V VM Clients getting woken up with WOL.

See below: (Source: Brian Ehlert - social.technet.microsoft.com)

Wake-on-lanis no longer available because the Hyper-V hypervisor is now the owner of the physical NIC, not the OS installed (the management OS).

It is the same reason whyNIC drivers that employ power savings don't take VM network traffic into consideration and put the NIC into a low power state, because the management OS is not using it, but the VMs are.

The ownership and scope of the physical device has changed one Hyper-V is involved.

Besides, WOL is not a scenario that was ever designed for.  The use case of starting a hypervisor on demand is considered an edge case. Most folks would leave the hypervisor running, and then power the VMs off and on.

But my intention is to only wake up my physical host PC.

Unfortunately is my screenshot of the OS settings in german. I am sorry for this 

I hope you have a solution for my problem.

Regards

Max

Sepcs: 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k

RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair LPX 

Mainboard: Asus Z97-a

OS SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB - Raid 0

Mass Storage: Seagate 2TB

IMG_20190115_054929.jpg

Settings.png

WOL for me has been unreliable for "non-server" motherboards without some kind of fancy on-board admins like iLo or idrac... but you could kludge togather a way to turn it on via a raspbery pi zero with a relay to remotely "push" the power button for the host. Theres also fancy networked kvms for this allow remote video and keyboard use, but are expensive.

As for the guest systems; why not just use the power shell command like Start-VM XXXX to start the guest?