Nvidia Said We Couldn't Game On This...

15 hours ago, mariushm said:

You can probably solder a DVI connector from an older card, but most likely the card lacks some surface mount capacitors and resistors around the connector, so you could probably get it working by comparing the values with a reference card, or another card... but it's a lot of effort.

A few connectors and a handfull of SMD components is hardly worth the effort to skimp on imho. I'd expect this to be a silicon version with the display relevant bits removed to save die space.

Wait you declared it as a mouse upon import?

Canada Border Services Agency wants to know your location...

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

I've heard from local(Chinese) forum that the only file which is modified is `nv_dispi.inf`, thus, a clean driver can be modified by yourself! Furthermore, according to the reviews I watched on bilibili https://www.bilibili.com/video/av35317062 (a Chinese video website), P106-100 can be used as "accelerate card" without any modification, CUDA is useable, which means you can used it in Premiere, Deep Learning or some other things like that.

However, here in China, you can get a RX470 4GB with only around 350CNY which has similar performance and could be used as a REAL graphic card without any modifications!!!

I wonder if this could be used as a dedicated physx card, rather it would be worth the effort, and if it can be done without shady driver issue?

If a driver can be modified to support a GPU it shouldn't, can it be modified to support adaptive sync on a Maxwell GPU it shouldn't?

1 hour ago, xypnise said:

Is anyone able to test if this card can work with GPU rendering? Let's say with octanebench :

https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/

I saw many people asking about this card accelerating CUDA tasks.

Thanks for also sharing a link , made it a lot easier :)

It can be used for rendering it would seem, I tested it with a p104-100 (1070) and got the following results

image.png

__ David

13 minutes ago, Toru_The_Guardian said:

Thanks for also sharing a link , made it a lot easier :)

It can be used for rendering it would seem, I tested it with a p104-100 (1070) and got the following results

image.png

__ David

Oh man much appreciated ? So im ordering few right away

@Toru_The_Guardian
Do you mind doing a  gaming benchmark on the p104 ?  and how much does the card cost ?

why are we using this specific driver version (416.34) when newer versions are out ?)? can we keep doing for the latest drivers ? are there any deals fo the p104 and p102 (gtx 1080 equivalent)  ? does this work only with intel igpu or amd will work fine as well ? 

according to the guy in this video : (he has another version :zotac )  the card doesn't support directx 12 , and some games don't work (like Rainbow six siege) , because Battleye (ubisoft's anti-cheat) doesn't support self signed drivers , are these issues present with the gigabyte version ?

28 minutes ago, bingo said:

@Toru_The_Guardian
Do you mind doing a benchmark on the p104 ? how much vram does it have ? and how much does the card cost ?

why are we using this specific driver version (416.34) when newer versions are out ?)? can we keep doing for the latest drivers ? are there any deals fo the p104 and p102 (gtx 1080 equivalent)  ? does this work only with intel igpu or amd will work fine as well ? 

according to the guy in this video : (he has another version :zotac )  the card doesn't support directx 12 , and some games don't work (like Rainbow six siege) , because Battleye (ubisoft's anti-cheat) doesn't support self signed drivers , are these issues present with the gigabyte version ?

This question mentions Direct X 12 but an interesting thing that occurs to me if it turns out there are cards that are capable of DX12 support then I wonder how it would perform in a multi GPU setup, I know multi GPU is not a great feature ATM but in the few games where it works I wonder if one of these cards could be used to augment the performance of an existing 1060 or a similar spec AMD card. Not many games support multi GPU currently but if the feature takes off this could be a cheap way to augment FPS in games that support it.

Assuming any of the cards can support DX12 that is.

@Fiorbeth to answer you (and myself) : in this video , he seemed to benchmark a game (probably shadow of the tomb raider but i'm not sure) while running dx12

Love me an Anthony video.  Thank you for bringing this to light.  I like the idea of NVidia not supporting this behavior just unlocking the card to allow for different drivers.

It would be a nice recycling of mining cards.  I can see other uses for these cards too, HTPC/Plex server come to mind.

Very cool.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just to put people's minds at rest... you CAN modify the drivers yourself. The only two files which need to be modified are `nv_dispi.inf` and `nvaci.inf`, and it should be possible to continue to do this moving forward provided Nvidia don't throw in any extra restrictions. Furthermore, adding support for the P104-100 and P102-100 is also fairly trivial.

In each of the attached diffs, the original is on the left and the modified version is on the right. If there's enough demand, I'll write a nice script so people can run this on the fly, but to be honest editing manually with either a hex editor or nice text editor should suffice!

Hope this helps someone! :D 

Sadly payday isn't for another week or so and grabbing one of these in the UK seems to be a lot of hassle. ?

nv_dispi.png

nvaci.png

I'm new to this, but if I were to solder a DVI output to the contacts on the board, would it work, or would I have to mod the bios or something?

17 hours ago, bingo said:

@Toru_The_Guardian
Do you mind doing a  gaming benchmark on the p104 ?  and how much does the card cost ?

If only I could :')

I bought this card with the idea of using it in a VM as a remote gaming pc. (No screens needed, using Parsec Gaming)

So I installed it in my server, got the card attached to a VM, installed drivers etc. I then was able to use it for mining, rendering and such. But I never got it to work for games as it wouldn't be picked up as the main gpu for the system...

I then put it in my desktop to try and get some more info out of it and found out that it was locked to be a secondary card only....

Also, unfortunately I don't have a desktop with integrated graphics so I can't test if the method LMG pulled in the video works for this one...

So far I have gotten my p102-100 5GB (1080 mining card) to work with the 416.34 drivers and just adding in the entries to the nv_dispi.inf for it's dev/hw id.

Ran some fire strike and timespy, so far seems to have run into a pci-e bandwidth issue I will now troubleshoot. The card is sold as only being able to do 4x pcie but it's only at 1.1 speeds.

p102 working as passthrough firestrike.jpg

It appears the board has the solder locations on it. I am tempted to buy one and try to solder on the HDMI port. If the video card works identical otherwise, I cannot see why it would be missing anything other than the physical output hardware. Running a Motherboard without video out is kindda not going to work with Linus' method....

Just to make sure: would it only work if the card was purchased from that seller? It sounded like he said changes were made to the firmware, but I wasn't sure if the new knowledge that the drivers can be modified by hand changes anything.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:59 AM, GabenJr said:

It’s a shame that so many of those dedicated mining GPUs are useless now, isn’t it? But even with no outputs, Chinese hackers made it so they can still game! Or have they…

Buy a mining "GTX 1060" on Taobao: https://lmg.gg/8KV6L

Buy a real GTX 1060:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/rveAUH
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KV6B

Hi I have successfully test it using rx 470 mining edition, no output. And got nice result. Thank you for the information.

For RX 470 you don't need to use modified driver. But please make sure if you have newest driver and windows 10 1803. And use original amd bios

Does the Card could work with ESXi and and Virtual Pc who need Graphic Card thinks lets say for render Videos via RDP?

From AT. :x

Here is my question. If you can’t reprogram the bios the normal way because the software blocks you would a spi direct connection to the bios chip work to flash a 1060 bios? 

This youtube video explains what i am talking about

https://youtu.be/Ra0T0j5KoAc

I'd really like to try this but taobao does not allow shipping to USA. Google Translate says the error is "According to relevant local laws and regulations and Taobao policy, this product cannot be shipped to your country or region."

Is there a trustworthy forwarding service in China similar to Tenso in Japan?

1 hour ago, Timoran Synkral said:

I'd really like to try this but taobao does not allow shipping to USA. Google Translate says the error is "According to relevant local laws and regulations and Taobao policy, this product cannot be shipped to your country or region."

Is there a trustworthy forwarding service in China similar to Tenso in Japan?

there are other people who sell that card in taobao , some ship to us you might want to look for one 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:21 PM, JackHadrill said:

In each of the attached diffs, the original is on the left and the modified version is on the right. If there's enough demand, I'll write a nice script so people can run this on the fly, but to be honest editing manually with either a hex editor or nice text editor should suffice!

That would be a nice touch! I tried to mod newest (11. January 2019) driver manually but it won't work (device manager: code 43). I had success with the old one reading this tutorial: https://github.com/gerdesi/NVIDIA_P106 and I did the similar with the new one but no success. (I will leave them here. Maybe someone will give it a try.) Maybe I did something wrong but I checked 3 times.

Testing all versions which one is the last compatible with this method seems a little bit tedious

417.71 inf modded not working.zip

417.71 in original.zip

2 questions: 

1. Did someone actually tried to run a P106 on a Linux distro? (X11 runs without monitor, and one can access it using nomachine, vnc, xpra or even VirtuaGL directly over ssh)

2. Did someone actually tried to passthrough a P106? One of the biggest hassles of passthrough a VGA is the fact that Linux "grabs" on the video board for basic console and terminal, and it "doesn't let it go" basically. That's why passtrough is much easier when you use another VGA board for Linux console, so the Nvidia card is free. For the P106, since it's "kinda" not a VGA, I'm curios to see what Linux will do with it! 

I'm trying to buy one at taobao, but it's a bit confusing for my little dumb calcasian brain... lol... even using google translate! Let's see if I can get through! 

If someone has a P106 lying around, live near Vancouver and wouldn't mind that I borrow it or even wan't to sell it, let me known! :)

-H

I tried Taobao with Google Translate and just couldn't complete a purchase. Anyone in Greater Vancouver Area know how to read Chinese and want to set up a group buy?    :)