Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johners

Windows 7 enters its last year of support

Posted · Original PosterOP

Windows 7, the popular operating system released by Microsoft in 2009, enters it's final year of support.

On January 14th 2020, exactly one year from today, Windows 7 will no longer be receiving free updates and users will have to pay for support or upgrade to a supported version of Windows if they wish to continue receiving updates. To put things into perspective, Windows 7 is still used be around 28% of Steam users according to the December 2018 hardware survey and 19.3% of w3schools users. While these numbers might not be fully representative of all desktops and laptops worldwide, it does show that a lot of users still rely on an operating system which is very close to being unsupported.

As always, the end of free support does not mean the end of support entirely. Microsoft has long offered paid support options for its operating systems beyond their normal lifetime, and Windows 7 is no different. What is different is the way that paid support will be offered. For previous versions of Windows, companies had to enter into a support contract of some kind to continue to receive patches. For Windows 7, however, the extra patches will simply be an optional extra that can be added to an existing volume license subscription—no separate support contract needed—on a per-device basis.

These Extended Security Updates (ESU) will be available for three years after the 2020 cut-off, with prices escalating each year.

As an alternative, Microsoft is offering all three years of ESUs to customers of the new Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) service at no extra cost. This service offers cloud-hosted virtual machines running Windows 7 plus whatever applications are needed, and those virtual machines will continue to be patched into 2023. WVD uses existing Windows Enterprise E3 licenses, and it runs on the full range of Azure virtual machines, with no additional costs incurred. This includes for example GPU-equipped VMs, meaning that WVD should be usable for a wide range of workloads, just as long as running them in the cloud in the first place is acceptable.

Office 365 ProPlus—the name given to the continuously updated subscription version of Office—will continue to be supported on Windows 7, but only with the ESUs applied.

Similar policies exist for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. These also drop out of free support in one year. For on-premises deployments, customers will be able to buy the Extended Security Updates, but workloads in Azure will receive all three years of fixes for free.

As much as I liked using Windows 7, until Windows 10 was released, I don't want to see a repeat of Windows XP in terms of how users cling onto using an older operating system. I've got my issues with Windows 10, I won't lie, but it's a much better operating system overall. For examples, Windows Updates are smaller and faster, a wider range of login due to Windows Hello (face, fingerprint, PIN), Windows Defender is both free and not annoying. I know some users will be sad that Windows 7 is almost dead due to concerns about owning their PC and forced updates but I highly recommend that you upgrade if you haven't done so already.

Source 1: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/01/windows-7-enters-its-final-year-of-free-support/

Source 2: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Source 3: https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

The main downside of this is that Microsoft wants to move windows 10 to being sold as a service, and it's pretty frustrating. Windows 7 is gonna make people think of 10 with this view of "they don't make em like they used to," and it will probably be pushing more people to Linux 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

it will probably be pushing more people to Linux

Highly unlikely. People have said this about nearly everything Microsoft has done and nothing has changed.

Please be aware that there may be visual artifacts left behind by the beta testing phase of development. If you see any such artifacts, we recommend that you do not interact with them; we'll weed them out eventually. There's no guarantee that we'll weed them out eventually.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Highly unlikely. People have said this about nearly everything Microsoft has done and nothing has changed.

3 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

I've been hearing this since Windows 8 and macOS Sierra. It hasn't happened yet. Too much elitism around Linux to attract a casual user base.

Well I switched to Linux from being fed up. 

Not that I expect every single person using Windows 7 to transfer to Linux, most of that 28% steam user base is going to prefer windows because of native game support, but people are going to trickle out of the windows ecosystem when it comes to PC gaming.

Enterprise PC solutions and business computers or school computers? Not so much.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The main downside of this is that Microsoft wants to move windows 10 to being sold as a service, and it's pretty frustrating. Windows 7 is gonna make people think of 10 with this view of "they don't make em like they used to," and it will probably be pushing more people to Linux 

I doubt that Linux sees an appreciable bump. There are too many different distros, and none of them have really succeeded in taking a dominant market share. There's also the issue of business use. If Joe Bob Tech Group and it's 80,000 employees have a problem with Windows, they call Microsoft. If Joe Bob Tech Group and its 80,000 employees have a problem with Ubuntu...hope you have an IT guy that knows Ubuntu like the back of his hand!

If XP taught us anything, it's that people dedicated to one OS will cling desperately to that OS until the end of time. I'm still running XP on one of my old ThinkPads because I have games that just don't run on a 64-bit OS/Windows 10.

Sabre - i7-8086K - MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X - AsRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - 250GB Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 - 1TB Inland Professional SSD - 960GB SanDisk Ultra II - 4TB Seagate Barracuda - Corsair RM650i - Fractal Design Meshify C White TG - Noctua NH-C14S

Senketsu - Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB Windforce - Gigabyte B450 AORUS M - 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466 RGB - 256GB ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro - Corsair SF600 - Enermax Steelwing Red

Banzai - i7-6700T - MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP - Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix - 16GB Team Elite DDR4-2400 - 240GB Crucial M500 - Seasonic 300W Server PSU - HP Slimline s3200n chassis - Rosewill RCX-Z300

Harvey Dent - Pentium G3258 - MSI GTX 750 Ti LP - ASUS H81M-C - 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 - 480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD (Windows 10) - Vaseky 64GB mSATA SSD (Windows XP) - Silverstone SF450 - Athenatech A100BB - Arctic Alpine 11 Plus

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I don't necessarily think Microsoft will move Windows 10 to a service model as they sell plenty of services that sit onto top of Windows such as Office 365 and everything in the enterprise. I assume there's also a chance they eventually bring Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass to the PC at some point in the future.

As for pushing users to Linux, I really don't see this happening, at all despite people claiming this will happen pretty much since Valve started supporting Linux. In reality, I can see users shifting away from the traditional desktop and laptop systems to devices such as Chromebooks, the iPad (has the keyboard and stylus), the iPad Pro (has the keyboard and stylus) or a MacBook if they've got more money to spend. The issue Linux with Linux is the lack of an actual platform around it, sure you can say ChromeOS or Android is Linux but in reality the platform just relies on Linux as an underlying component that's not exposed to the end user.

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Project JAPC Build Log

I'm still on 7, and will keep this rig on it forever. I laugh whenever people talk about updates, I haven't updated Windows 7 since SP1. The rest is just unnecessary to me. Talk about security? A good A/V, VPN, and common sense go a long way. When I eventually build a new PC, for fun I may try and force Windows 7, but in reality I will switch to 10. Mainly due to the games I'll want to play and enjoy using the latest hardware. But honestly, I'm finding it easier to switch from 7 to 10, than from XP to 7. I don't honestly know why that is for me. Maybe because back then, all I used to do still worked on XP and had no benefit if I upgraded. But in today's case, there's a lot of benefit to upgrading as stated previously, enjoying games with the latest hardware. I want at least 2K 144hz. Not at all possible on my current hardware, and no way can I find hardware that could pull that off that's supported by Windows 7 without being a fool for buying it (because that's still old hardware). When the day comes that I do finally get to enjoy modern day gaming, I'll be happy. I won't really care that I'm on Windows 10, I'll just enjoy the high quality gaming that the new version of Windows is able to handle. I'll still use my old Windows 7 PC, just because I can and it's fun. But hear me when I speak, Windows 7 was the peak of OS's not just for Microsoft, but for anything really (my opinion).

As someone who grew up on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and, regrettably, 8 I feel like 10 has always been a step in the right direction. I've had a whole host of computers throughout every stage in my life and while I have a lot of nostalgia tied up in Vista and 7(the days where I played flight simulator and x and combat simulator) Windows 10 feels far superior. I'd rather have Microsoft push development focus over to a more powerful and useful OS like WinX. That's just my opinion. I think the the Windows 8 catastrophe is what brought all of us to the "Ain't nothin like old windows" mentality(nostalgia removed). WinX is same old windows just with more compatibility and better design.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   GTX 1070 FTW2   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x8Gb RIP JAWS V   |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Pretty sure it came out in 2009.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Scarlet Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition(Replacing with a Radeon VII | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Blackout Edition with Cherry MX Silent Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Mass Drop Editions(Replacing with k712s) | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU or 2600/x) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

No way. My old Seven is gonna live forever.

PS, I'm 99% linux on my laptop. This is a 7 box. My next build is either Linux, 7 (for a short snap) or Linux with 7 for gaming. I may... may have a boot into 10 on occasion for some gaming, but honestly, I have enough games for 20-30 years of back catalog to never ever ever need or want to go to 10.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Pretty sure it came out in 2009.

Yeah, it did, I've corrected this.

Project JAPC Build Log

Just some "fun" fact:

Windows 10 has past Windows 7 in market share.

Well.. based on StateCounter: http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide

Windows 10 is installed on ~52% of Windows powered PCs

Windows 7 is installed on ~36% of Windows powered PCs

Based on Steam hardware survey

Windows 10 has ~64%

Windows 7 has ~27%

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

I don't think this will push too many more people to Linux. Mostly because Linux doesn't seem to be as easy for most people. They will see what it's all about and be confused beyond all hell. They'll more than likely just switch to 10, or maybe even Apple. But as someone who tried Linux (too many distros to list), it was just too much for what I wanted to do. Sure I understand it, but that doesn't mean I want to use it. Most people who try to go down the path of Linux may see it as the complete opposite of "set and forget" which they're used to with Microsoft and Apple OS's.

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its been out for about 10 years, how fucking long do people want free support on a $100 product

Well if you get windows 10 and you keep up to date then according to the way they go in 100 years it is "supposed" to still be windows 10 Build XYZ and full support.

21 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

I've been hearing this since Windows 8 and macOS Sierra. It hasn't happened yet. Too much elitism around Linux to attract a casual user base.

Too many Linux users also outright lie about how good their 'god' distros are.

Edit: upgrade that to maliciously outright lie.

Edited by Drak3

Please be aware that there may be visual artifacts left behind by the beta testing phase of development. If you see any such artifacts, we recommend that you do not interact with them; we'll weed them out eventually. There's no guarantee that we'll weed them out eventually.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Too many Linux users also outright lie about how good their 'god' distros are.

Yeah, agreed. I never had an issue with running Linux Elementary/Ubuntu on VM's but the rabid elitism on every forum is ridiculously frustrating. I don't know the answer to every linux based question which makes it difficult when the community surrounding it isn't always focused on being helpful.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   GTX 1070 FTW2   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x8Gb RIP JAWS V   |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its been out for about 10 years, how fucking long do people want free support on a $100 product

That's been Microsoft's perpetual problem.  People will lord Windows' legacy support uber alles strategy as some kind of major coup over Apple... and then wonder why it has trouble selling Windows 10 upgrades or ditching archaic features.  The company has spent much of its lifetime conditioning users to assume their apps will run forever, and that's biting the company in the ass with people who'll hang on to XP or 7 because they refuse to upgrade their 22-year-old database software.

This isn't to give Apple a total pass, since it tends to be a bit ruthless (macOS support lasts 7-8 years on the outside), but it has the right idea in that you sometimes need to give users a swift kick in the pants so that you can actually make money and overhaul your platform in a timely fashion.

35 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The main downside of this is that Microsoft wants to move windows 10 to being sold as a service,

How?

We already got windows 10. I bought it for a few bucks so I do own it.

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

no way a regular person wan't to deal with linux.

using anything will endup typing some terminal code.

if linux can get the user experience as close to macos, then i would think otherwise.

I think Ubuntu has come rather close, as far as I've been able to tell. When it comes to gaming, it's not like that's untread ground, and there are programs like lutris to help automatically set up API stuff for gaming like dxvk. The windows "October" update has done quite a good job of making people get frustrated, and it's not so hard to get a feel for Linux.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6: