Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AManWithPlan

QHD Monitors with HDR and Gsync?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I believe there were some shown at CES. I forget what monitor though. 

The Hisense "ULED" was very convincing tech, I'll be looking out for that. Though I doubt it will have Gsync because of the dual panel design.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AManWithPlan said:

The Hisense "ULED" was very convincing tech, I'll be looking out for that. Though I doubt it will have Gsync because of the dual panel design.

Aorus AD27QD

It looks like that monitor is 1440p 144hz and has 400hdr support.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Currently available is the ASUS PG35VQ is the ultrawide HDR G-Sync monitor. Otherwise there's the PG27UQ if you want 4K. If you don't want ASUS, the only other option I'm aware of is the Acer Predator X27, which is 4K.

To my knowledge, the PG35VQ was shown off at Computex in 2017 and it is still unreleased.

 

I'd prefer not going 4K as current cards struggle to drive it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

I'd prefer not going 4K as current cards struggle to drive it.

You can always run the game at a lower resolution. 27" 4K has enough PPI in it that noticing the interpolation takes effort. The only real issue with 4K I would say is desktop applications may not scale properly and Windows' scaler is hit and miss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

You can always run the game at a lower resolution. 27" 4K has enough PPI in it that noticing the interpolation takes effort. The only real issue with 4K I would say is desktop applications may not scale properly and Windows' scaler is hit and miss.

Yea, I'm currently on a 4k laptop I downscale to 1080p when running any game and I have to restart windows quote often to get the scaling to adjust back properly. Can't do that on my always-on desktop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

Yea, I'm currently on a 4k laptop I downscale to 1080p when running any game and I have to restart windows quote often to get the scaling to adjust back properly. Can't do that on my always-on desktop.

You don't need to change your monitor resolution to run a game at 1080p. You simply change your in game resolution to 1080p and it should just work. I am unsure why it would mess with Windows scaling as it should be only the game that is running in 1080p not Windows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Majestic said:

You do realise that G-sync is going to be pretty much obsolete tomorrow?

I do not. Elaborate.

 

Gsync provides an additional physical chip (from Nvidia) which handles monitor refresh to match with FPS output.

They have demo'd at CES that they are able to do so using the FreeSync API, but it was noted that it would still not be as effective as an Nvidia solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AManWithPlan said:

I do not. Elaborate.

 

Gsync provides an additional physical chip (from Nvidia) which handles monitor refresh to match with FPS output.

They have demo'd at CES that they are able to do so using the FreeSync API, but it was noted that it would still not be as effective as an Nvidia solution.

Because tomorrow they will release a driver that makes Nvidia gpu's run freesync panels.

 

Yes that's Nvidia trying to save face for selling you overpriced FPGA's for years that basically do the same as monitor scalers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Because tomorrow they will release a driver that makes Nvidia gpu's run freesync panels.

 

Yes that's Nvidia trying to save face for selling you overpriced FPGA's for years that basically do the same as monitor scalers.

Not really. FreeSync is almost as good as G-sync when it works properly, which is less common. There are a ton of shitty monitors that can't do decent FreeSync because there was no regulation.

 

While I consider G-Sync to be mostly overpriced, it's still a much better version of adaptive sync.


Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Not really. FreeSync is almost as good as G-sync when it works properly, which is less common. There are a ton of shitty monitors that can't do decent FreeSync because there was no regulation.

 

While I consider G-Sync to be mostly overpriced, it's still a much better version of adaptive sync.

Imagine that. Cheap monitors have shitty implementations. The specs he's talking about means it will be a >500 euro panel. A 500+ euro freesync panel will have a decent freesync implementation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Majestic said:

Imagine that. Cheap monitors have shitty implementations. The specs he's talking about means it will be a >500 euro panel. A 500+ euro freesync panel will have a decent freesync implementation.

It will maybe have decent implementation. There's still no guarantee. With G-Sync everything is tested. There's also less latency (although that doesn't matter to everyone).

 

Saying G-Sync will be obsolete is just ignorant.


Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

It will maybe have decent implementation. There's still no guarantee. With G-Sync everything is tested. There's also less latency (although that doesn't matter to everyone).

 

Saying G-Sync will be obsolete is just ignorant.

My g-sync panel had flickering and the module died everytime I quit the game. It is not a flawless experience.

 

But thanks for repeating Jensen Huang's talking points, i'm sure he appreciates you still buying it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Majestic said:

My g-sync panel had flickering and the module died everytime I quit the game. It is not a flawless experience.

Then you for a faulty unit. I never said it was flawless.  Regardless, if you have an NVIDIA GPU and the price points were the same for FreeSync and G-Sync, an educated person would always choose G-Sync. The appeal of FreeSync is that it doesn't add to the cost much, while theoretically being capable of producing a similar effect to G-Sync. The crappy implementation is what lead to FreeSync 2.

 

11 minutes ago, Majestic said:

But thanks for repeating Jensen Huang's talking points, i'm sure he appreciates you still buying it.

I don't even know what statements you're referring to. I know this stuff because I've done actual research and have experience.


Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Then you for a faulty unit. I never said it was flawless.  Regardless, if you have an NVIDIA GPU and the price points were the same for FreeSync and G-Sync, an educated person would always choose G-Sync. The appeal of FreeSync is that it doesn't add to the cost much, while theoretically being capable of producing a similar effect to G-Sync. The crappy implementation is what lead to FreeSync 2.

 

I don't even know what statements you're referring to. I know this stuff because I've done actual research and have experience.

You know exactly what i'm referring to. There is only one objective test, so i'm not sure what "research" you're referring to other than the (now ancient) PCPer test, and didn't I say I had personal experience as well?

 

You're telling this man to shell out $200 extra for a monitor, to have a feature that is also available for free on other models. And any premium panel of those specs will have some quality control done regarding the freesync implementation. You can't expect them to tune $150 panels, they'd eat up all their margin. The same is not true for $500+ panels. It's completely unreasonable for you to assume since those dirt cheap panels have little QC, that goes for ALL freesync panels. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Majestic said:

You're telling this man to shell out $200 extra for a monitor, to have a feature that is also available for free on other models. 

Where's did I say that? Keep your BS assumptions to yourself.

 

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

It's completely unreasonable for you to assume since those dirt cheap panels have little QC, that goes for ALL freesync panels.  

I never even mentioned QC. That's an in-house thing. You're making ridiculous accusations.

 

I've never recommended G-Sync. I just said it wasn't going to be obsolete.


Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AManWithPlan said:

Yea, I'm currently on a 4k laptop I downscale to 1080p when running any game and I have to restart windows quote often to get the scaling to adjust back properly. Can't do that on my always-on desktop.

What you're saying is when you do exclusive full screen and you set the resolution to 1080p, it screws up the scaling and you have to reboot?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

What you're saying is when you do exclusive full screen and you set the resolution to 1080p, it screws up the scaling and you have to reboot?

If I was to set a full screen game to 1080P in-game, while Windows settings are for 4K, upon exiting the game, many windows have scaled back to 4K poorly (clearly seen in blurry text and the like).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×