Corrupt HDD - Win 10 won't boot

Sryznar1

SO long story short - I installed a M.2 SSD and my mobo wouldnt read any drive.  Research showed they were fighting for the same data sata port.  So I moved my HDD to another port...which may have corrupted my HDD 

Because when I booted up, windows wouldn't launch....Went to restore...says C drive is corrupt.  Ran the windows repair on HDD that is asks to do...says its good but then still wont launch. 

Any idea what I can do?  It reads my HDD and everything, just wont boot too it. 
( I have my windows install disc, but i cant boot to it with the m.2 ssd since it has to be formatted first lol)

4 minutes ago, Sryznar1 said:

SO long story short - I installed a M.2 SSD and my mobo wouldnt read any drive.  Research showed they were fighting for the same data sata port.  So I moved my HDD to another port...which may have corrupted my HDD 

Because when I booted up, windows wouldn't launch....Went to restore...says C drive is corrupt.  Ran the windows repair on HDD that is asks to do...says its good but then still wont launch. 

Any idea what I can do?  It reads my HDD and everything, just wont boot too it. 
( I have my windows install disc, but i cant boot to it with the m.2 ssd since it has to be formatted first lol)

have you removed the M.2 drive and plugged the HDD back into its original port?

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Yeah I tried to go back to the original setup, and that is when I got the corrupt C drive error.  Sorry I should have said that.  Originally I had an Intel Optane 16gb in the m.2 spot.  So I was upgrading to m.2 SSD originally. 

I did not disable it in the application before taking it out.  But I did disable it in the BIOS - but maybe I need to put it back in, enable it in the bios and then try to boot? 

2 minutes ago, Sryznar1 said:

Yeah I tried to go back to the original setup, and that is when I got the corrupt C drive error.  Sorry I should have said that.  Originally I had an Intel Optane 16gb in the m.2 spot.  So I was upgrading to m.2 SSD originally. 

I did not disable it in the application before taking it out.  But I did disable it in the BIOS - but maybe I need to put it back in, enable it in the bios and then try to boot? 

That's what I'd do. From there, take the necessary steps to format your M.2 drive after a successful post and boot into windows with your old HDD. 

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Yeah, I will give that a try, thanks for the help!  Won't be able to test until tonight, but I think that may do the trick.  When in doubt, revert back and do it the right way haha

Also try with only one connected unit at a time, that helps a lot believe me! ?

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming