Fan configuration - Define R6

1Scotty1

Hello, everyone

looking for tips on how to properly set up fans in my Define R6.

Currently, I have it like this - 360mm AiO at front as intake, 2x140mm on top as exhaust, 1x140mm rear exhaust.

I think, that because I have bigger fans as exhausts than intakes, I have negative pressure (I notice dust build-up over short periods of time)

Would it be wise to do it like this? - 3x120mm in front as intake and move the AiO on top as exhaust, and leave the rear empty, thus creating balanced pressure?

I want to try the AiO at the top, because I am seeing higher than usual temps on my delidded 8700K (5,0Ghz@1,35V) - under load 83C

Thank you for all your ideas/suggestions

Have a great day!

1 minute ago, 1Scotty1 said:

Hello, everyone

looking for tips on how to properly set up fans in my Define R6.

Currently, I have it like this - 360mm AiO at front as intake, 2x140mm on top as exhaust, 1x140mm rear exhaust.

I think, that because I have bigger fans as exhausts than intakes, I have negative pressure (I notice dust build-up over short periods of time)

Would it be wise to do it like this? - 3x120mm in front as intake and move the AiO on top as exhaust, and leave the rear empty, thus creating balanced pressure?

I want to try the AiO at the top, because I am seeing higher than usual temps on my delidded 8700K (5,0Ghz@1,35V) - under load 83C

Thank you for all your ideas/suggestions

Have a great day!

Maybe 2x140 in the front and the AiO on top and 1x140mm in the back? I don't know how much the radiators restrict airflow but if you put 3x140mm in the front I would guess you will get a very positive pressure (which I would prefer of a negative one btw).

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

2 minutes ago, martward said:

Maybe 2x140 in the front and the AiO on top and 1x140mm in the back? I don't know how much the radiators restrict airflow but if you put 3x140mm in the front I would guess you will get a very positive pressure (which I would prefer of a negative one btw).

Sadly, the R6 cant fit 3x140mm at the front :(

Sadly, the R6 cant fit 3x140mm at the front :(

No but you can fit 2x140mm in the front, 1x120mm in the back and the AiO on top as far as I can see.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

What fans are you using?

Running your exhausts at lower rpm than your intakes can help achieve positive pressure.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fans are you using?

Running your exhausts at lower rpm than your intakes can help achieve positive pressure.

All my fans are Corsair LL series.

Just now, 1Scotty1 said:

All my fans are Corsair LL series.

Huh. LL's seem like a waste for the front of the R6 but to each their own.

Your cpu temps seem normal and probably wouldn't be improved by being moved to the top for exhaust unless you're running low rpm that's having trouble getting air around the front panel. It could help graphics card cooling though. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Huh. LL's seem like a waste for the front of the R6 but to each their own.

Your cpu temps seem normal and probably wouldn't be improved by being moved to the top for exhaust unless you're running low rpm that's having trouble getting air around the front panel. It could help graphics card cooling though. 

What fans would you recommend for the front intake?

And I am not concerned with GPU temps, interestingly they only get up to 62C while benchmarking and that is while mounted vertically.

Just now, 1Scotty1 said:

What fans would you recommend for the front intake?

And I am not concerned with GPU temps, interestingly they only get up to 62C while benchmarking and that is while mounted vertically.

There are better fans you could use for the front but I don't think it's necessary. 

What kind of load are you running for the cpu to hit 83c? 83c isn't very low but still perfectly safe as long as it doesn't get much higher. Did you want to push for a higher oc?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

There are better fans you could use for the front but I don't think it's necessary. 

What kind of load are you running for the cpu to hit 83c? 83c isn't very low but still perfectly safe as long as it doesn't get much higher. Did you want to push for a higher oc?

It was a Realbench stress test. I know 83C is not that alarming, but it is cooled by a 360mm AiO... I have seen people achieve lower temps (75C) while on air or 240mm AiOs at same OC. And I wasnt attempting a higher OC, I bought this CPU from a local retailer, similar to Silicon lottery, that guaranteed a stable 5.0Ghz, so I am not pushing past that.

Just now, 1Scotty1 said:

It was a Realbench stress test. I know 83C is not that alarming, but it is cooled by a 360mm AiO... I have seen people achieve lower temps (75C) while on air or 240mm AiOs at same OC. And I wasnt attempting a higher OC, I bought this CPU from a local retailer, similar to Silicon lottery, that guaranteed a stable 5.0Ghz, so I am not pushing past that.

What rpm are you running the fans at?

Temps aren't that surprising considering the short fan blades on the LL's resulting in suboptimal performance on rads and running behind the front panel of the R6. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/LL120_RGB/5.html

https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_ll120_rgb_review,8.html

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What rpm are you running the fans at?

Temps aren't that surprising considering the short fan blades on the LL's resulting in suboptimal performance on rads and running behind the front panel of the R6. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/LL120_RGB/5.html

https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_ll120_rgb_review,8.html

Idling they sit at roughly 700RPM, once the CPU hits 70C or more, they spin at max, which is 1500RPM and the fan curve is set on the CPU package temp - all set and done via Corsair Commander and iCUE

Idling they sit at roughly 700RPM, once the CPU hits 70C or more, they spin at max, which is 1500RPM and the fan curve is set on the CPU package temp - all set and done via Corsair Commander and iCUE

The temps are a bit disappointing, yes. That being said, still seems about normal. 

You'd have better performance with the stock ML's on the H150i Pro RGB. You could also use the fans in push / pull. 

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The temps are a bit disappointing, yes. That being said, still seems about normal. 

You'd have better performance with the stock ML's on the H150i Pro RGB. You could also use the fans in push / pull. 

Yeah, already thinking about replacing them. Thanks for the help