Graphite Cooling Pad for CPU&GPU

Mainly it's about this:

https://www.newegg.com/global/gr-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W07HJ7887&ignorebbr=1

Versus this:

https://gr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/EYG-S1818ZLX2?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsiS1%2bJOF5Pn3rzOXABnirCsHh7lta7UUSihCmhsNooqg%3d%3d

I will go with pads, so suggesting paste won't be considered useful.

Don't mean to be rude or anything, just putting it out there :) 

Specs are Ryzen 1800X and RX 580, plus I'll be getting Ryzen 3rd gen which is also AM4, so the same pad should be fine for both CPUs.

With that in mind, what sizes should I get?

AM4 socket is 40x40, so should I go with a 40x40 and trim it down if necessary to avoid contact with anything else? Or go 30x30 and cover the die?

Since the main point of graphite pads is that they can spread heat very effectively over a surface, would it not be beneficial to get a bigger one that will spread said heat over the entire surface of the Cooler's contact point?

And I have no idea what the GPU *actual* processor size is, except that this one's die is supposedly 232mm squared, so the 30x30 is probably more than enough?

Finally, is it worth covering more of the GPU? Or should I leave the rest with stock cooling?

GPU is currently fully stock cooled.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gjM323/xfx-radeon-rx-580-8gb-gts-black-core-edition-video-card-rx-580p828d6

With all that in mind, which pad option seems best?

Getting 1 big 180x180 pad costs about the same as getting 3 small ones, so I'd only go for the big one if I'd need to get more than 2, unless someone has a different recommendation?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKsJvn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Asus 3080 Turbo
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 

Thermal paste > Cooling pads

Personally, i would never use pads.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Why thermal pads? if you don't mind me asking, their cooling capabilities are inherently worse than thermal paste. But The smaller pads seem to be a better deal

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

2 minutes ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

Why thermal pads? if you don't mind me asking, their cooling capabilities are inherently worse than thermal paste. But The smaller pads seem to be a better deal

Don't want to bother with the mess of cleaning and worrying about proper application of paste, or how long it's been since I used it and whether it's dried up.

Plus, I'm curious.

Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

1 minute ago, TooUnskilled said:

Don't want to bother with the mess of cleaning and worrying about proper application of paste, or how long it's been since I used it and whether it's dried up.

Plus, I'm curious.

1st, With thermal paste as long as you don't buy some dirt cheap ebay special type shit the thermal paste should last at least 5 years no problem

2nd, cleaning is pretty easy but if you aren't taking the Cpu out every week then you probably won't have to do it very often

3rd,Both JayzTwoCents and LTT both have videos up about Thermal pads v.s Thermal paste for Cpu's and the thermal pads did pretty bad if i remember correctly. 

TLDR: Thermal paste is pretty easy, once you apply it (which is pretty fucking hard to mess up) you can forget about it. Plus as long as you don't buy cheap, bad shit it WILL last a really long time. And Thermal Pads just aren't worth it with the little amount of cooling they provide compared to paste.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

Corsair Crystal 280X

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

Just now, zombieshy_guy81 said:

1st, With thermal paste as long as you don't buy some dirt cheap ebay special type shit the thermal paste should last at least 5 years no problem

2nd, cleaning is pretty easy but if you aren't taking the Cpu out every week then you probably won't have to do it very often

3rd,Both JayzTwoCents and LTT both have videos up about Thermal pads v.s Thermal paste for Cpu's and the thermal pads did pretty bad if i remember correctly. 

TLDR: Thermal paste is pretty easy, once you apply it (which is pretty fucking hard to mess up) you can forget about it. Plus as long as you don't buy cheap, bad shit it WILL last a really long time. And Thermal Pads just aren't worth it with the little amount of cooling they provide compared to paste.

Still want to try it, have watched the reviews :) 

Thanks though!

Just now, TooUnskilled said:

Still want to try it, have watched the reviews :) 

Thanks though!

Alright, i would have some thermal paste on hand though...?

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

Corsair Crystal 280X

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

8 minutes ago, TooUnskilled said:

-

The point of using a TIM is to fill micro bumps and ridges that are present between two metallic surfaces (typically nickel, or aluminium). In an ideal world where you had two perfectly smooth and flat metallic surfaces, you would not need any kind of TIM since the metal-to-metal thermal conductivity will be the best.

Therefore the objective of the TIM is to facilitate the contact between the two metallic surfaces, and therefore by not covering the IHS, you are drastically decreasing the surface area for heat dissipation. Assuming you use paste with a conductivity of 15 W/m.k then you have some areas have metal-to-metal contact (hundreds of W/m.k) and where there is an air gap, this is filled with the paste and has theoretically 15 W/m.k conductivity.

With a pad, you bring the whole thing down to the Z-direction conductivity (28 W/m.k) since there is no way to achieve metal-to-metal contact with a pad since it can't be squished away like with paste. If you have areas of the IHS that are not covered by the pad, this will be an air gap and have close to 0 thermal conductivity.

So to answer you question, I would definitely consider getting one that covers the whole contact surface, but still personally opt for paste.

not sure why people hating these pads that much, i have 2 my self (ic graphite thermal pad) and from what i can tell it's about 3/4C worse compared to a decent paste.

the only reason i have them is for testing cpu's as i don't have to deal with thermal paste after swapping chips.

if you're doing it for a personal build and not for testing or what ever other reasons you have i would stick with any decent paste.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

39 minutes ago, wildthing said:

not sure why people hating these pads that much, i have 2 my self (ic graphite thermal pad) and from what i can tell it's about 3/4C worse compared to a decent paste.

the only reason i have them is for testing cpu's as i don't have to deal with thermal paste after swapping chips.

if you're doing it for a personal build and not for testing or what ever other reasons you have i would stick with any decent paste.

Thanks, but I'll try pads.

My concern is which ones to get to fit my gear size-wise.

Also whether it's worth messing with the rest of the GPU's cooling to add/replace pads, or leave it as is -it's not exactly high end at this point-

50 minutes ago, TooUnskilled said:

Thanks, but I'll try pads.

My concern is which ones to get to fit my gear size-wise.

Get a pad that covers your die.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"